Hard starting craftsman/poulan chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesm113

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to chainsaws and 2T's, but not new to working on motors. I've rebuilt 4T motorcycle engines and done some pretty serious car motor repairs. I picked up a project chainsaw (Craftsman 358.350260, 36cc motor, 16" blade) for prepping firewood while camping in the mountains.

I got it mostly working - the old fuel lines were completely shot, the air filter was falling apart, and the carb diaphragms were a bit worn. I replaced all of those things with kits from Amazon and threw on a new spark plug and fuel filter.

Problem is, getting it started is a real pain. Following the directions on the saw, I put the choke on, pump the primer bulb slowly 6 times, pull the starter cord 5 times, remove the choke (leaving fast idle on), and pull the starter cord again. At this point, the saw usually fires up at fast idle, but dies within 15 seconds. If I give it gas, it dies even sooner. If I repeat this ritual enough times, I can get the saw running well and have it cutting wood. After the saw's been warmed up, I've set the L mixture screw to get me the highest idle possible, then lowered the idle to the point where the chain stops moving. There's no bog when I hit the gas.

I've noticed when I pump the primer bulb, there's an air bubble in the bulb and air bubbles in the return fuel line. The supply line does not have any bubbles in it. Could the bubbles be the cause, or is something else giving me trouble?

Go richer on the low side and use the base idle to get it back up..sounds lean on the low mixture giving a cold tip in bog/stall.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Back