Husqvarna 350--- Two fuel tank vents???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKBOOTS

Reaction score
Husqvarna 350 with primer bulb...putting together a non-running saw I bought cheap. There appear to be TWO vents in the fuel tank. One receives the white filter and I believe receives the return line from the primer bulb...but what is the little nib on the right? I can blow air through both passages. (The white filter cannot fit in the opposite direction because the vent passage is offset and won't fit the nub.)

Should be an easy answer for someone here.
Thanks. JK
unnamed.jpg

Supply, vent, return. The tank handle and vent is used on other models and they used to route the vent up into the carb box on some of them. The nub on the vent can just be flat out ignored in your instance.

Looking at your picture, the line on the left is the fuel supply line that goes to the carburetor. The white piece sticking out is the vent. Some of them were vented the way yours is now, some of them had a line running from the end of that white vent up into the carburetor box. The orange barb to the right of that is the return line coming from the primer bulb flowing back into the tank

Looking at your picture, the line on the left is the fuel supply line that goes to the carburetor. The white piece sticking out is the vent. Some of them were vented the way yours is now, some of them had a line running from the end of that white vent up into the carburetor box. The orange barb to the right of that is the return line coming from the primer bulb flowing back into the tank

I've started going through some 350/353/359s and have noticed an orange nipple inside the carb-box on some tank-handles. Is this a redundancy?

Two 359s both had the vent line hooked up to the interior orange nipple, with the vent resting between the saw-body and tank-handle, not seated into the plug hole. Seems like little to no venting was actually taking place, plus gas spilling out the vent hole. No paper filters.

Edit:
20240316_070402.jpg20240316_070411.jpg

I've started going through some 350/353/359s and have noticed an orange nipple inside the carb-box on some tank-handles. Is this a redundancy?

Two 359s both had the vent line hooked up to the interior orange nipple, with the vent resting between the saw-body and tank-handle, not seated into the plug hole. Seems like little to no venting was actually taking place, plus gas spilling out the vent hole. No paper filters.

Edit:
View attachment 1162458View attachment 1162459
Husky likely had fewer older style carb floors without the nipple in stock than they had gas tanks so some new style floors got used with old style tanks.

The inner vent is a long tube that nearly reaches the left side of the saw. It pushes into place. If the saw leaks on the right side, that inner vent isn’t sealing to the gas tank.
The white fitting is an assortment of sintered metal and a rubber seal to prevent air/fuel from exiting the tank

Another random question:

Didn't realize the impulse line was a specific part. The 353 impulse line was hard enough it warranted replacing since the carb was already off. Do I need the molded line, or will it work with regular bulk line? I've replaced it, but I'm afraid there's just too much bend to work right:
20240317_073856.jpg20240317_073941.jpg20240317_073944.jpg

The hardened line had about this much pinch as-was.

It will likely kink if not the curly Q line. Hard is good if the old hose seals well and isn’t kinked

I figured that would be the case. If hard is good I could chance the old line. But the slight pinch in the bend and it's hardness had me concerned.

This saw had a well-concealed hole in the fuel line. Ran okay, but was impossible to keep tuned, then the gas leak exposed itself with heat. Had pretty good throttle response the one tank I ran through it before shelving it. Intake and exhaust views are good.

Latest posts

Back