Stihl 026 to MS260 Air Filter Conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread! It caused me to register an account here. I did a similar conversion over the summer, but modified the existing tank breather to fit. I used the 'cut it to fit, then make a new internal tunnel and seal it up with some epoxy' method.

View attachment 947519

The problem I'm running into now is that the air filter cover my local Stihl dealer sold me (the snow version was the only one they had available) does not quite fit! It doesn't bottom out on the right side, and prevents the twist lock from fully engaging.

OP, do you happen to have the Stihl-equivalent part number that you are using so that I can buy one that'll lock down? Thank you!

View attachment 947520
View attachment 947521
You have the new style cover on an old style tank assembly. It won't fit correctly and isn't supposed to. Can the old A/F cover be modified to fit the larger filter?

The airfilter covers have always swapped over between 026 PRO and regular 026`s for me. The same tank/rear handle assembly was used on all 026`s that I have worked over/rebuilt, pt# 1121 350 0829
Naaa... Early 026 had the round knob and tall tank vent. Later 026 and Pro had the short tank vent and rectangular AF knob. The tanks and AF covers are not interchangeable.

Naaa... Early 026 had the round knob and tall tank vent. Later 026 and Pro had the short tank vent and rectangular AF knob. The tanks and AF covers are not interchangeable.
They certainly are, just use the vent that the tank requires and the airfilter as well, I have swapped tanks on many of these saws.

Is the cover fitting into the groove on the handle? I’ve used a newer filter cover on an older tank and it fit alright.

I'm thinking that someone will find this PDF attachment useful in the future (old air filter -> new air filter).

Attachments

• 026 service notice.pdf
    232.9 KB · Views: 57
I'm thinking that someone will find this PDF attachment useful in the future (old air filter -> new air filter).
That's the one that I was looking for! Somehow it escaped its proper location on my hard drive. This TI introduces the changes required for the 026 Pro models including the tank assy and AF cover. It also mentions another TI - 06.95 where the tank assembly was also changed.

This has been an interesting thread because I’m having a heck of a time getting a filter to fit my early 028 WB that I probably should have just slung in in the junk pile by now.

A little background. At this point, I have two Stihl 026s. There are a few reasons I'm looking at switching to the MS260 filters.

1. They are bigger, so presumably breathe better
2. I've had terrible luck with AM filters for the 024/026 (I've yet to find one that operates the choke correctly)
3. This may be subjective, but the MS260 filters seem easier to find locally. At least in my area.

So I did some research on how feasible this is. For later model 026's with the short gas tank vent and black switch; it seems relatively easy. Order the filter, block the extra hole, get an MS260 rear cover...move on with life. But for earlier models of the 026 with the tall tank vent and red switch; it's a little more complicated. I've run across a dozen different descriptions of how to adapt the tank vent. But being an IT nerd who spends most of his time writing instructions for tasks; I thought I'd put together a more detailed description of the process. I should also mention this is a work in progress. I have three different tank vent options on their way at this point. So I'll be adding more information to this thread as I have time. For now, let's take a look at what we're dealing with.

View attachment 941479

There are several variations of the filter for the early 026/024. The oldest of which is on the left. It's pretty obvious that this filter was really small. In the middle, we have a later model 026 filter. In this case an AM filter. On the far right is an AM nylon filter for the MS260. Obviously, this isn't the best choice for keeping crap out of the saw. But for the purpose of just getting this specific saw up and running and documenting this process: it was cheap and available. That's a Husky I'm also working on in the background.

View attachment 941480

One of the biggest differences between the older style filters and the MS260 is the integrated choke. On my newer 026 I could not get it to start with an after-market filter. The little arm for the choke was too short. The quick and dirty solution was to take the filter apart and move the choke assembly from the old filter to the new one. Wich wasn't bad, but still annoying.

View attachment 941481

On the newer style filters, the integrated choke comes to a point, and IMHO seals better. I haven't had any trouble with saw starts using an AM MS260 filter on the newer 026. Note the extra hole that needs to be plugged for this application.

As I mentioned on the newer 026 saws, there is a shorter tank vent. It makes adapting to the newer style filter and rear cover more or less a plug-and-play solution. So let's take a look at the specific problems with adapting this to the older style 026 with the tall vent.

View attachment 941483

I borrowed this image from Chainsawr BTW. But this is the style vent on my newer 026. There are other variations of the vent that was used over the corse of the saws production. But while this shorter vent doesn't interfear with converting to a newer filter; it's not interchaingable with the older style tank and vent system either.

View attachment 941484

The MS260 uses a diffrent tank vent as well (pictured above). As I understand it, this vent is also not compatible with the older style 026 vent/tank.

View attachment 941485

So this is the vent we are actually dealling with. It's super tall, and more or less just presses on a nub on the tank.

View attachment 941486

Some of the descriptions I've read stated that you can just cut this vent down to make the MS260 filter fit. I'm not sure how that works. When I measured it, it looks like even when cut down; it will still be about 1/4 inch too tall. So my plan is to work with the parts I've ordered first, find a solution that works, and then circle back to the "cut down" option.

View attachment 941492

With the vent removed, you can see that the new filter otherwise fits fine. So in the coming days as parts arive I'll be adding to this thread. I have three options I'm considering

1. After market generic vent with hose
2. Adapting an MS260 tank vent to fit
3. Modifying the stock "Tall" vent

Option 1 seems to be the easiest solution that others have tied. So that's going to be the first one I attempt once the parts get here. In the meantime I have to rebuild this saws carb. So I'll hopefully be back in a couple days with an update.
I'm having the same problem with an 024 that I've upgraded to an 026. Very hard to start initially but once warm will start all day long. Using a new style AF and cut down tall tank vent. I will be watching your progress with interest

I’m looking to do this upgrade, it seems like people have issues with the air filter cover not fitting well. I’ve got an earlier 026 (red choke lever), will part #1121 140 1915 work with my saw? I’ll attach a picture of the tank vent I’m looking to order.

Attachments

• F03BF590-DEC6-4C81-A456-7F7EF62B0C8D.png
    F03BF590-DEC6-4C81-A456-7F7EF62B0C8D.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
@EKreider89 Pretty sure that is the exact filter I used on my red switch 026. It's a pretty basic procedure. Insert the filter in the hose, trim the hose, and stick it in the gas tank hole. I think the part number you have there for the cover and filter is correct. But I think this is also the same thing (for about half the price):

Cover and filter:
https://www.amazon.com/HURI-Filter-Cover-Stihl-Chainsaw/dp/B015OCK8IM/
And if anyone is looking for the breather with hose setup I'm pretty sure this is it:
https://www.amazon.com/Maxmoral-Exhaust-Compatible-038048-1117-350-5800/dp/B08PBK3L97/
Sorry I've been absent from this thread for a bit. Haven't had time to work on saws or jump on the forum much since last fall. Trying to get caught back up now before wood cutting season is upon us. Lots of good information shared by the other members.

I’m looking to do this upgrade, it seems like people have issues with the air filter cover not fitting well. I’ve got an earlier 026 (red choke lever), will part #1121 140 1915 work with my saw? I’ll attach a picture of the tank vent I’m looking to order.
This style vent will work good with older tanks that had the hose/grub screw vents.

HOWEVER, There were about 4 different (and incompatible) tank versions with different vent schemes. To make matters worse the air filter cover/housing needs to match the particular tank design or it won't fit correctly. You will also likely have an issue with the AF cover latch as the latch is completely different between the older and newer air filters (the back of the filter contains the half the latch).

So without knowing (photos) of which version you are trying to modify throwing part numbers and money at this issue is unlikely to produce the wanted results.

This style vent will work good with older tanks that had the hose/grub screw vents.

HOWEVER, There were about 4 different (and incompatible) tank versions with different vent schemes. To make matters worse the air filter cover/housing needs to match the particular tank design or it won't fit correctly. You will also likely have an issue with the AF cover latch as the latch is completely different between the older and newer air filters (the back of the filter contains the half the latch).

So without knowing (photos) of which version you are trying to modify throwing part numbers and money at this issue is unlikely to produce the wanted results.
This is very helpful! Thanks Steve. I will post pictures tonight of the saw, the tank, and the air filter I already have.

@SteveSr I'm not aware of the early model Red multi-switch 026 having more than just the tall black vent style. The later models (using a Black multi-switch) did come in a couple of different configurations over the years, but that's not the subject here. @EKreider89 did mention that he has the Red switch. Either way the bottom line is that all three of these things need to be done together on a Red multi-switch 026 to use more readily available MS260 parts; filter, cover, and tank breather. The breather will need to be replaced (with the one linked to in my comment above) for the saw to accept the MS260 filter (included in the second link). The MS260 filter will need the extra carb side hole plugged. Once the filter is installed the AFM filter cover (also included in the link above) will engage to the new filter.
I think where some folks run aground is either trying to mix and match parts (old cover, new filter) or applying this solution to a later model saw. The scope here is just the earlier model 026 with the Red mulit-switch.

Attachments

• B6EA1A8E-B36D-411D-BF89-1C10C8926AD3.jpeg
    B6EA1A8E-B36D-411D-BF89-1C10C8926AD3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 665F7D83-F22F-4792-B38C-6F58F548CB9A.jpeg
    665F7D83-F22F-4792-B38C-6F58F548CB9A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 83FF0351-C2AE-4218-BFBA-A65B38802549.jpeg
    83FF0351-C2AE-4218-BFBA-A65B38802549.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 5AF830F7-0894-4621-A4A3-32E588BB9C83.jpeg
    5AF830F7-0894-4621-A4A3-32E588BB9C83.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 8C848CB5-1F6E-48D1-920B-382F1D9F6D67.jpeg
    8C848CB5-1F6E-48D1-920B-382F1D9F6D67.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Here are more pictures @jweier111 and @SteveSr.
@EKrider89 That looks identical to the saw I used for this thread. You can buy rubber corks at most hardware stores that will cover that extra hole in the filter. The breather and rear cover/filter links I posted above should do. But if for any reason you run into trouble spin back here and let us know.

After looking at the photos I am beginning to wonder if you can swap the old AF bolts into the new filter and use the old AF cover. The filters split and the bolts can be pressed out. It would be easier if you could warm the plastic a bit to soften it up.
I will take a look into this! Thanks

@SteveSr I did what you suggested and here’s what I found.
1) the old AF bolts are slightly larger diameter than the new ones so I had to drill out the holes in the new air filter to accept the old bolts.
2) the metal kill switch tan gets hit by some molding on the new air filter, I filed that down so it would hit anymore.
3) I had to cut off the plastic tab in between the bolts on the new AF.
4) the old AF cover had a plastic divider piece on the inside. I cut that out, see pictures.
5) all this to find out the new filter it’s slightly thicker at the top and so the old AF cover wont slid down on it.

I’ll attach pictures. It was close! But definitely not a plug and play scenario.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg