Hardwood Fallers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pretty well everyone in this neck of the woods, run 70cc. with an 18in. bar. we are able to handle most of what west Quebec has to dish out with this set up. I love my 44 sthil for that, power and good balance for limbing afterwords.

i run 066's-395's with 24" bars almost always and use a 36" bar for the largest of the trees, 5 1/2 ' +. but i have notices several guys running saws that were smaller, 046's, 575's etc.

MS440 w/ 20" bar

Again, good power/balance/weight

You can cut up to a 40 incher and then it isn't too much of a struggle to limb 'er after

logging

I log and My 440 has a 20" and the 460 has a 20" also. My 280 has a 16" on it, it is my small timber saw. Mostly there is 20" out here, saws 660 and 395 size have 24" on them and 3120 and 880's have 36" and up on them.:clap: :hmm3grin2orange: :greenchainsaw:

HECK NO!!!it is too wet....it has been wet since the second week of october...ive worked maybe 12-15 days since then....tough winter....should be looking up shortly..i've got SOO much work for this season i don't think i can cut it all. but im gonna try like hell(will get pictures of course) i'm either gonna start logging somewhere else in the winter or headsawing for the sawmill...cant work 6 monthes out of the year and make it worthwhile anymore

HECK NO!!!it is too wet....it has been wet since the second week of october...ive worked maybe 12-15 days since then....tough winter....should be looking up shortly..i've got SOO much work for this season i don't think i can cut it all. but im gonna try like hell(will get pictures of course) i'm either gonna start logging somewhere else in the winter or headsawing for the sawmill...cant work 6 monthes out of the year and make it worthwhile anymore

Well don't come here for the winter this year was the shortest winter yet 6 weeks and it was all over.Now we have to weight for half loads to come off.Oh ya the f..king snow to piss off didn't snow all winter now we get it.:laugh: :laugh:

Well don't come here for the winter this year was the shortest winter yet 6 weeks and it was all over.Now we have to weight for half loads to come off.Oh ya the f..king snow to piss off didn't snow all winter now we get it.:laugh: :laugh:

how does it usually work up there..work during the freeze before the snow comes??? or just work until it freezes..when does it usually freeze up there?

how does it usually work up there..work during the freeze before the snow comes??? or just work until it freezes..when does it usually freeze up there?

We can work from june to nov. most of the time as long as there is not to much rain in the fall it use to freeze up in early Dec but the last few years not till jan. but we work all winter till march.doesn't matter how much snow we get.If we get to much just slows you down a little bit when your wading snow to your waste like last year.skidders doesn't like it much more the me but we get threw it.End of winter just depends weather your on half load road or not townships put those on Mar 15 every year weather it's cold or not.

We can work from june to nov. most of the time as long as there is not to much rain in the fall it use to freeze up in early Dec but the last few years not till jan. but we work all winter till march.doesn't matter how much snow we get.If we get to much just slows you down a little bit when your wading snow to your waste like last year.skidders doesn't like it much more the me but we get threw it.End of winter just depends weather your on half load road or not townships put those on Mar 15 every year weather it's cold or not.

yea we have road restriction from jan 15-april 15, 4 or 8 ton limit(can't remember which, just know i can't haul logs) around here we work whenever it is dry enough.. usually don't get very much snow. i prefer it is just freeze during the winter and the ground to stay hard. but this winter is only froze up for a few weeks. the rest of the time it rained

I run a Stihl MS460 with a 24'' b/c with full chiesl full skip. In the big stuff an 066 with 24'' or 36'' depending on size of the timber and stepness of the ground.

I've had a bunch of 372's w/20'' and 24''b/c's before and liked them fine. They don't seem to last quite as long as my 460's but I do like the balance better.

I've had a bunch of 372's w/20'' and 24''b/c's before and liked them fine. They don't seem to last quite as long as my 460's but I do like the balance better.

Ya those 372's are nice saw to run but tend to rattle apart pretty fast.Try 385's for a while but didn't like them much.Now i run 460 mod with 20" or 660 with 24" can cut pretty much any thing we have around here and the mighty 880 for the real big maple veneer when we cut in the south.Cleared a building lot today bush seems to be drying up pretty fast should be able to go back to logging soon.

what saw do i prefer ?

in average hard wood in my area north michigan i prefer 70cc motors if i gotta drag it around the woods all day i love my 757 shindiawa work port by (me) not to heavy with 20 to 24 inch bar, but so damn durable, ive been using them since they came out 1991, while some see this saw as dated (it is) i like the motors (bsta) brake specific torque available while cutting, doesn't stop the chain as easy as some saws, (husky 575 xp 372 xp ) not brand bias though I've owned at one time ,or own .alot of the popular saws commonly talked about today.for big wood or when getting through fast is a concern of mine, (chain speed) i usually grab for my 9010 dolmar (stage 2 work port blue print by me) lots of option's out there though these are a couple that I've used extensively over the years. stock trim as well as improved, a couple of my all time favorites !! and i will never kick them out of the stable!

I cut hardwoods in Northern Wisconsin and just bought a Husky 575XP. It's a great saw with good, smooth power. I just use an 18 in. bar and that's sufficient for this timber. I was running a 357XP and needed a little more power. That was a good saw too.

Latest posts

Back