Hardwood Fallers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
semo and i only live about 45 mins from eachother, i know i can't work because it started raining the other day and im pretty sure he prolly can't either... ive got alot of work it is ever dries....:chainsawguy:

Semologger

What kind of timber do you have down there are you able to work right now?

I mainly cut white oak, red oak, hickory,maple,ash and poplar. Ever once in awhile you stumble across a walnut or cherry. No work going on here had six inches of rain in the last two days and it was a slow rain and i dont think its done yet either.

I mainly cut white oak, red oak, hickory,maple,ash and poplar. Ever once in awhile you stumble across a walnut or cherry. No work going on here had six inches of rain in the last two days and it was a slow rain and i dont think its done yet either.

That's to bad about the rain seems like it rains lots there.W e haven't had much so i'm going to change the oil in my skidder tomorrow and float it to the first job of the year Mon.Have any you guy's tried the new 390 husky yet?

nope haven't ran a 390, just 385's & mainly 395's, now i'm running an 066. Buzz, do u not get to do any logging during the winter? how many months do u get to work a year? what kind of job you moving onto?

nope haven't ran a 390, just 385's & mainly 395's, now i'm running an 066. Buzz, do u not get to do any logging during the winter? how many months do u get to work a year? what kind of job you moving onto?

We work all winter just stop at the end of march or early april till middle to end of may on private land but on goverment land can't start till July 1 and have to be done march 31.I can normally work 8 to 10 months a year as long as it dosen't rain to much but the winters a not as good as they use to be.I'm moving onto a job for a friend of mine as i am waiting for a entrance permit for one of my jobs.We will be mostly cutting soft maple.beach,yellow birch,and a little bit of cherry on his job plus a bunch of blow down to clean up.The first job i have of my own has some hard maple,basswood,yellow birch,and white pine to cut.Tried to post some pic's
last night but dial up is very slow.:rock:

We work all winter just stop at the end of march or early april till middle to end of may on private land but on goverment land can't start till July 1 and have to be done march 31.I can normally work 8 to 10 months a year as long as it dosen't rain to much but the winters a not as good as they use to be.I'm moving onto a job for a friend of mine as i am waiting for a entrance permit for one of my jobs.We will be mostly cutting soft maple.beach,yellow birch,and a little bit of cherry on his job plus a bunch of blow down to clean up.The first job i have of my own has some hard maple,basswood,yellow birch,and white pine to cut.Tried to post some pic's
last night but dial up is very slow.:rock:

u got a skidder? or renting one? i walked a patch this morning that is 3/4 a mile from my house that i should be getting to cut. grazy job....marked one tree that was as big around as a car hood....man i sure do love those.....u need any winter help???what sort of winters u have up there? it has been next to shut down from mid october till beginning of march...thinking about migrating somewhere during the winter to cut...

u got a skidder? or renting one? i walked a patch this morning that is 3/4 a mile from my house that i should be getting to cut. grazy job....marked one tree that was as big around as a car hood....man i sure do love those.....u need any winter help???what sort of winters u have up there? it has been next to shut down from mid october till beginning of march...thinking about migrating somewhere during the winter to cut...

I had a John Deere 1978 540b for a few years now i have a 1989 timberjack 380B i liked the john deere to drive but parts are to much around here so i sold it.The TJ pulls a bigger load and is easy and cheap to fix those cummins motors last forever so i think i will keep this one for along time.I thought about a new John Deere once or twice but with the way timber prics keep droping don't think that is a good idea.Winters are normally pretty good might need some help you never know.

I had a John Deere 1978 540b for a few years now i have a 1989 timberjack 380B i liked the john deere to drive but parts are to much around here so i sold it.The TJ pulls a bigger load and is easy and cheap to fix those cummins motors last forever so i think i will keep this one for along time.I thought about a new John Deere once or twice but with the way timber prics keep droping don't think that is a good idea.Winters are normally pretty good might need some help you never know.

do u have a crew or are u a one man operation. how much timber u usually move in good day? be careful

do u have a crew or are u a one man operation. how much timber u usually move in good day? be careful

In the winter i usally have help but with the weather in the summer it is hard to keep emploies so i work alone in the bush and do tree removal as well.By myself i cut skid cut 6-10 mbf a day skids are long here most of the time and terrain in ruff.If i am lucky i buy a few bushs in the south there you can but up a lot of wood but the bylaws are really sticky the first under sized tree you cut is $5000 and the second is $50000 in some counties but there 10-20mbf is not to hard witha 2 man crew.

sILlogger what kind of chain do you run on your 066?I'm sending mine away to dean this week to get a stageIII mod done to it then it should cut thousands of feet in a day,.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
How many guys work with you.?

i'm running 24" 72LGX right now, buying them in loops from baileys..i've worked on 2 man crews, 3 (cutter, skidder, bucker/loader) 4 (2 cutters, skidder, bucker/loader) and the last job i was on the drag was far so i was cutting, had 2 skidders going and a guy bucking/loading. to me i think it works best w/3 guys, 1 cutter, 1 skidder, and a guy working in the log yard...what is this stuff about "undersized trees" we really don't have any legislation down here... as long as the state gets there timber tax money they don't care

Last edited:
i'm running 24" 72LGX right now, buying them in loops from baileys..i've worked on 2 man crews, 3 (cutter, skidder, bucker/loader) 4 (2 cutters, skidder, bucker/loader) and the last job i was on the drag was far so i was cutting, had 2 skidders going and a guy bucking/loading. to me i think it works best w/3 guys, 1 cutter, 1 skidder, and a guy working in the log yard...what is this stuff about "undersized trees" we really don't have any legislation down here... as long as the state gets there timber tax money they don't care

I use to cut for two 540's and a man in the landing bucking up and stacking but that gets a little tiresome after a while.Would of stayed if they woukd pay more but they said no so i bought my own machine.Where i live there is no laws on private land but in the south you have to paint the bush put in an intent to harvest have you marking approved the it's game on but they will come around and check up on you and if you cut un marked or under size tree 's get your wallet out.Most area's in the south it is ethier dia or basel area you can not cut most speices under 18inch dia at 18 inch off the ground.Witch isn't bad because there will always be tree's there to cut.L work for a guy that cut down there most of his life he told me about one bush they cut it was 4 acres yeilded 70000bdft thats a good haul here.

Back