Has anyone else noticed a major decline in used chainsaw parts sales.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonstc6

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I sell the chainsaw parts I don't need on eBay. I haven't sold any parts in a long time, I even listed more stuff and I can't get even a watcher or anything. I've sold three saws this week, one of them being a parts saw. Here is one example, a year ago I listed a coil for an echo cs-4400 and I sold it in 2 days. I listed another one two weeks ago and I don't even have a watcher. Has anyone else noticed a huge slump in parts sales? Is everyone just wanting running saws or parts saws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does price relative to OEM or New Aftermarket have anything to do with it? Used parts for obsolete/collector saws makes sense but for current saws....why? A fifty dollar price difference is not worth a risk to any who really depend on a saw... so the parts under $75 dollar range... maybe things like bottom ends or plastic sets etc. for crash damage... just saying.

The aftermarket parts might have something to do with it. I have a used husqvarna 445 cylinder and piston in good condition for $27.50 and people are paying more for aftermarket than my cylinder. I had a 455 cylinder too and I gave up on it

I have other parts that aftermarket replacements aren't available and still no luck

I have some new old stock parts on ebay and I haven't even got a nibble, except for an oil pump, that sold in like 2 days.
Idk what the deal is.
ADLM

I don't know if Hurricane cleanup has a lot to do with it but if it were me, I would want a running saw or a complete parts saw right now to compliment my current saws or act as a parts donor to get them going right now. With a parts saw you have one of everything except maybe a P&C in one go. You already have a few spares of the parts you need most often.

There are guys buying new saws down here instead of repairing their current ones. That is what the demand for tree work down here will do to the market. The MS461 class saws that are favored by most of the tree services is hard to come by down here. They are on back order at the dealers with no delivery date. A new saw today is better than a fixed saw tomorrow or the next day with the way the money is flowing for these guys. They will put their broken saws on a shelf and fix them later and maybe sell them off.

The aftermarket parts might have something to do with it. I have a used husqvarna 445 cylinder and piston in good condition for $27.50 and people are paying more for aftermarket than my cylinder. I had a 455 cylinder too and I gave up on it

Of course with 455's...they never die! I have yet to see one fail from any thing else but being dropped or otherwise crushed.

To me things like total bottom ends, plastic, ignition's, cleaned up carbs on current saws make sense. Old saws? some are really in demand, some aren't. And depending on what's being talked about online can shift that around. So being a source for a few selected models makes sense. Like being a Homelite 750 expert. Or a 038 Stihl series...stuff like that.

I have noticed it as well. Hard to find NOS parts for classic saws useally are not hard to sell. Wear parts like mufflers, oilers etc always go easy while handlebars and such not so much.

I have some nice parts for some desireable big classic saws in the trading post with little interest in them as well as some listed on ebay right now with the same results.

I haven't sold any parts lately but have sold a couple of parts saws ... I have not been able to sell any running saws except Stihl 250, 290 and 390 saws. I've listed several older little saws and might as well have saved my time, not a nibble. I could lower the price drastically but why give them away?

Saturday I sold, a running Husqvarna 455, and a running echo Cs-680 and stihl 038 parts saw. I sold a few parts yesterday.

I have some new old stock parts on ebay and I haven't even got a nibble, except for an oil pump, that sold in like 2 days.
Idk what the deal is.
ADLM
What nos parts and what brand. What name do I search for on ebay

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Mac 605 and 610s used to bring around $200 on ebay, I tried twice to sell a good running one for $119 to no avail.

I have like 4 of those in running condition. And a couple more that need carburetor work. That's not good news to hear. It seems that recoil starters are the weak point on that saw. I've had like 4 break.

I've not had any of these saws with a bad starter but I did replace the carburetor on this one. I wouldn't be discouraged though, I've seen people skip right by my saws and buy the same thing that was higher priced. I guess if you sell low they think something is wrong with them.
Another thing: I wonder if the cheap Chinese chain saws are taking a bite out of the used saw market. For the price I was asking for my 605 you can buy a new 20" Chinese saw.

I have like 4 of those in running condition. And a couple more that need carburetor work. That's not good news to hear. It seems that recoil starters are the weak point on that saw. I've had like 4 break.
I have one nos black housing with no internals and one used black housing with a spring in it but that's it

Anybody having trouble selling your Creamsicle stuff, those usually sell pretty good

I don't get very much creamsicle stuff because all my stuff comes from scrap yards. I did get a creamsicle 032 from a scrap yard. It has at most 2 hours run time on it. No carbon anywhere and all the paint was perfect except for a couple small paint chips on the bottom. I do have pm610 with less than 10 hours on it.

However my almost new 032 won't run at all even on gas in the carburetor. It has spark and excellent compression but will not run. Would a bad condenser cause this?

Latest posts

Back