Has anyone have a brand new OEM stihl piston explode within seconds of the first start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After splitting the cases online thing I found was piston and rings.... nothing else was there that shouldnt be there, and with the small chance it lodged itself in the exhaust.....nothing was there either. That's why I was asking the question if it had ever happened before, since no ones has stepped in with a similar occurance I'll slap it back together with the meteaor piston and keep you posted. But no, there was nothing inside that shouldnt have been there.

Sure looks like it hooked a ring at the top of the open transfer. Wonder if the rings were too big or out of round somehow. I now ALWAYS chamfer every edge, OEM or AM. It don't take very long and it *hopefully* prevents this. Doesn't look bad enough not to clean it up and put er back together, at least.

I put a saw together today that when I turned it over it before attaching muffler and carb it went 'scritch scritch'. It is disassembled on my bench again. Know the feeling. This was a ring rotated and sitting on a pin. I find it damn hard to know for sure I have rings aligned when I compress em.

Harley can post all he wants...... he can troll me the same as I would if he stepped further into my field, but it's all good fun. Just because I dont have many post here doesnt mean I'm not as familiar with some things. I wish I had the time to troll others but I dont, so I just take it with a grain of salt and move on to the post that have meaning to them....

Obviously on the way up, that's why the top has a smaller amount of damage and by the second ring it caused it to push down and out further due to obstruction.

Latest posts

Back