Has this tool been tried yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a fancy hatchet. Of course if you are splitting a _lot_ of kindling it might be worth it. Me, I just use my big ax and choke up on the handle for a one hand use.

I only need kindling once or twice/yr to get my brush piles started. for starting in the stove, full size splits (2 or 3) and a couple sheets of newspaper in the ash tray does it.

Harry K

I've had one for seven or eight years now. In fact I do split a lot of kindling, mostly for barbecuing/grilling in the summer (I cook over wood coals instead of buying charcoal). I love it, there's something satisfying about using a purpose designed tool for its intended purpose.

Two cautions though. It is kind of sharp for a maul type tool. If you have the habit of holding a skinny piece of wood with one hand and popping off kindling with the other, it could mess you up to the tune of taking off a digit (instead of just smashing a finger like you would with a regular maul). Probably less of a risk than a choked up sharp axe presents though. Second, little kids see it and think, "Cool, a maul my size." Not for kids, see caution number 1,

Looks like it is more intended for splitting wood by the campfire or as one has mentioned previously for your grill. Though if the rest of the eastwing quality comes through in this product you will lose it or have it stoled before you destroy it.

Although it is pricey...it's a very handy size for doing exactly what it says...splitting kindling.I bought one and keep it down by my wood boiler for splitting some kindling off larger chunks.High quality tool,you'll never break it.Worth every penny in my book.

I have a couple hatchets but only use them during tipping season to make brush sticks. For kindling, I like too use a small camping axe. I get a load of cedar each year for kindling, and I use my splitter to make slabs. These I store untill I need them. Then just crack off pieces with the small axe. If I'm in a hurry I'll take wheelbarrow full out too the splitter and tic em off. The ram only has move an inch or two back and forth and they fly off.

I bought one and keep it down by my wood boiler for splitting some kindling off larger chunks.Worth every penny in my book.

that's what my intent was with it, knocking off some little kindling to get a bed of coals going, but i got some sticker shock, I mean after all it really is just a fancy hatchet. How does the fiskars model add up price wise? ive heard good things about the fiskars tools :givebeer:

http://estwing.com/product.php?product_id=1400

Looks like it might be good for splitting some kindling.....40 bucks at Ace hardware (ouch).

OK, the fireside friend tool arrived today. It isn't for kindling, and it is too small for splitting whole logs. It is the uber hatchet.

EXCELLENT for splitting 6"-10" wide pieces into smaller pieces. So, if you have already split a larger log into 2 or 4 pieces and want something more manageable to split the medium stuff this is awesome. I agree with the other poster who said it is a pleasure to use a tool that is well made for it's intended purpose. It is heavier, like a maul, but sharp like a hatchet. It makes short work of pieces that would be far more work than a hatchet.

BE CAREFUL, though, this is a serious tool. If you miss the wood and hit yourself, make sure you have health insurance. Never hit something you have to hold with the other hand either.

I don't use kindling anymore in my wood stove. I put two split pieces in about 3 inches apart, crumple a couple sheets of newspaper in the space between them then place another piece of wood on top of that. Takes off everytime. It sure beats working with slabs or spending time splitting up kindling.

Just a fancy hatchet. Of course if you are splitting a _lot_ of kindling it might be worth it. Me, I just use my big ax and choke up on the handle for a one hand use.

Harry K

I think it would be a good tool and I'm going to look into getting one. My hatchet I use now is a pita sometimes....just keeps getting stuck.

I've reverted to doing what you said..."just use my big ax and choke up on the handle" ....only to hit myself in the balls on a couple of different occasions..:cry: :dizzy:

I checked at Home Depot in thier estwing section today... must be special order there. The more i think about it, it would be a handy tool. I wonder if its heavy enough to set felling wedges?

I have one of these, it sits by my kindling stack. When I am splitting with the maul I don't bother splitting the kindling into the small pieces used for starting a fire. Instead I keep this mini maul by the kindling and split an armload when I'm filling the wood rack in the house. I wouldn't use it for rounds, but it will turn already split pieces into kindling.
Dok

Back