Haul-back winch options for tractor logging winch owners.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Couldn't afford a double drum tractor winch, so it is a manual, single drum winch. Am planning a few mods for this Winter down here such as a mast/small tower, and desperately need a good way to get the line back down (or up) the hill to the choker setter.

Surely I'm not alone, so I'm wondering what others are using for their haul-back options. I've considered a lewis winch or sampson/porta capstan winch operated by the choker rat. Or modifying a small motorbike I have. Or an electric scooter/5th wheel motor geared as much as possible, hooked into the outlet socket on the back of the tractor. Each has their own probs/issues.

Any ideas?

You could always use logging chains and pull out the wood to where you can back up to it and hook up short. Don't blame you if you want a winch though.

You could always use logging chains and pull out the wood to where you can back up to it and hook up short. Don't blame you if you want a winch though.
Would be great if could get the tractor right up or closer to the trees but only if someone else is paying for all the roads and track/skid trail clearing that would require. Most often the trees could be anything from 5 to 500 feet away from the road/landing.

I have a 12,000 Badlands 12 volt winch from Harbor Freight. It has it's own deep cycle battery but I have a slave cord to connect it to the 2 - 12 volt tractor batteries. It is not the fastest but it will pull. On the inner wraps it pulls well. On the outer wrap it will trip the circuit breakers from time to time but then I have been pulling 30-36" oak trees with lots of branches up the sides of coal pits. For only $300 on sale, I have more than got my money's worth out of it & it is still going strong. They have just added a line tensioning bar to this model of winch which is a feature I wish mine had.
Oliver 1655 with grapple & 12,000 lb skidding winch.jpg
This winch is bolted to a 1/4" of steel plate welded to a 1/4" walled piece of 2" square tubing so it will fit a receiver hitch & is easy to move around. --- Well as easy as a 90+ lbs setup can be. I use welding lead connectors for quick connects. I can move the winch from the skidding boom to the car hauling trailer which has it's own battery in just a couple of minutes.

That's the trade-off with most electric winches - they are slow. I've already got a tractor winch mounted to main winch cable,the 3PH so would need to mount such a winch somewhere else but it would still be slow or I fear would draw moire than the tractor circuitry could handle if I tried to gear it to speed it up, even though it won't be hauling much. There doesn't seem to be a winch out there that will move fast enough for my liking. It's not like it actually needs to handle much weight, just the weight of the main winch cable, choker chains and some friction.

Couldn't afford a double drum tractor winch, so it is a manual, single drum winch. Am planning a few mods for this Winter down here such as a mast/small tower, and desperately need a good way to get the line back down (or up) the hill to the choker setter.

Surely I'm not alone, so I'm wondering what others are using for their haul-back options. I've considered a lewis winch or sampson/porta capstan winch operated by the choker rat. Or modifying a small motorbike I have. Or an electric scooter/5th wheel motor geared as much as possible, hooked into the outlet socket on the back of the tractor. Each has their own probs/issues.

Any ideas?

One of the members here screen name, Rokon. I've wanted one for years. I saw one in action once at a dealers, he had an obstacle course set up, big boulders, wicked deep mud, etc..I have never in my life seen such an off road work tool. I have yet to see any atv, utv, quad, etc go where a rokon can go. Two wheel drive go anyplace small tractor, that is also technically road legal as a motorcycle.

It would tote your line over to the tree no sweat. Heck, it could just as well drag out some of the trees itself!

Build a small portable winch that runs off the tractors auxiliary hydraulics. Set/mount the unit nearby the tractor with the control near the operators seat. I imagine one of the hydraulic Braden/Tulsa 8K units from a power company rig or Tow Truck would suffice for your haul-back needs.

Pictures for reference.

IMG_1250-1.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

Build a small portable winch that runs off the tractors auxiliary hydraulics. Set/mount the unit nearby the tractor with the control near the operators seat.

Now we're talking. Why the heck didn't I think of that.

Thanks.
will do a quick search of used parts and get an idea of cost.

For reference, the blue winch cost me 100$ I found it through Craigslist. The black one came from CL as well but was part of a deal in a transmission I needed for a project. The whole lot was like 400$ I'm located in central CA. Region tends to drive prices on stuff. Heck a rear end off a truck could be used. You would need a hydraulic motor or another tractors PTO to power it. Just ideas....

Warn 8274. only 12v winch rated at 70fpm no load speed. Expect to fab up mounts, tower and fairlead for mount on a chipper. Certainly hope it lives up to hype.

70 fpm? What is the rolling weight rating? I am interested in hearing if it lives up to it's claim. :popcorn: A video would be Great.

I have a 8274 on a trailer. It is a quick line speed but not that fast, and as stated previously the constant duty will kill the electric motor.

79.3 fpm, sounds impressive but as soon as you put a load on it the speed drops down big time. With a load it is about twice as fast as the HF / Badland 12,000 lbs winch I have. But the price, $1,850 = OUCH! ---------- is about 6 time as much.

M8274-50.jpg

WARN
r-mark.gif
M8274-50
Fastest line speed, longest wire rope, legendary performance
Loved by off-roaders who compete, it's our fastest winch. No-load retrieval speed for the M8274-50 is 79.3 feet per minute, and that's not all. At 150 ft. of 5/16" cable, it also has a very long line capacity. Its unique spur gear drivetrain and upright design are totally rugged. Its braking system delivers smooth operation with superior heat dissipation. Roller fairlead, remote control on 12-ft. lead, free spool clutch and battery cables are included.
  • Rugged spur-gear drive train and unique upright design
  • Automatic disc braking system delivers smooth operation with superior heat dissipation
  • Roller fairlead, remote control, free spool clutch, and battery cables are included.

M8274-50 SPECS/PART NUMBERS
Part number: 38631 (12V)
Part Number: 88631 (12V, CE, International sales only)
Part number: 375832 (24V) Contact WARN Customer Service for Availability
Winch model: M8274-50
Rated line pull: 8,000 lbs., (3628 kgs.) single-line
Motor: Series Wound, 12V 4.6 hp/3.43kw, 24V 2.5 hp/3.43kw
Electrical controls: Solenoid
Remote Control: Remote switch, 12' (3.7m) lead
Gear train: Spur Gear
Gear ratio: 134:1
Clutch (freespooling): Sliding Motor Pinion Gear
Brake: Automatic disc type
Drum diameter/Length: 3.5"/8.5" (9cm/22cm)
Weight: 110 lbs. (50kgs.)
Wire rope: 150' ft, 5/16" diameter (46m, 8mm diam.)
Fairlead: Roller
Recommended Battery: 650 CCA minimum for winching
Battery leads: 2 gauge, 72" (1.83m)
Finish: Powder coat with clear coat
12V DC PERFORMANCE SPECS
Line Pull
Lbs.(Kgs.)
Line Speed
FT./min(M/min.)
Motor
Current
Pull by layer
layer/Lbs(Kgs.)

0 79.3 (22.17) 49 amps 1/8000 (3629)
2000 (910) 23.7 (7.22) 182 amps 2/7460 (3384)
4000 (1810) 16.4 (5.0) 286 amps 3/6980 (3166)
6000 (2720) 12.0 (3.66) 385 amps 4/6620 (3003)
8000 (3630) 8.7 (2.65) 480 amps 5/6290 (2853)

You can find the 8274 used for under 1000$ sometimes. Used hydraulic winches will most likely be the better option in the end.

Depends on how heavy you want to go. Have you considered a gas winch? Here are some specs for the one I use:

portable_winch_foresterie_007_copier__141.jpg

Portable Winch:

Weight35 lbs.
Dimensions:
Length
Width
Height
14-5/8"
14-3/8"
14-3/8"
CertificationCE Certified
Engine4-stroke Honda GXH-50 cc
Gear Box and GearsAluminum alloy gear box. Heat treated 3 stage spur gears. Shafts mounted on ball bearings. Oil bath lubrication.
Gear Ratio110:1
BrakeAnti-reversing needle bearing
ClutchN/A - Direct Drive
Capacity
Max. Pulling Force
Rated Lifting Cap
2180 lbs.
PCW5000: Not designed for lifting applications
Capstan Drums
Installed
Optional
2-1/4"
3-3/8"
Turns at idleYes
Speed with:
2-1/4" drum
3-3/8" drum
40'/min
60'/min
Work CycleContinuous
Rope:
Pulling
Minimum Diameter
Maximum Diameter
Lifting
3/8"
5/8"
PCW5000: Not designed for lifting applications
Warranty:
Private Use
Commercial Use
Engine
5 years
1 year
Honda International Warranty
Anchors:
Included
Optional
Polyester sling 2-3/8'' x 6'
Different types according to the task

I double-line the product too sometimes, so I get up to 4400lbs when pulling speed isn't a concern.

Thought about the portable winch and sampson capstan winches, but two things I don't like about 'em is they need constant tail pressure, thus operator focus, and would need to be geared differently to up the speed to something beyond wrist-slittingly slow for a haulback winch with naff all load on it. What they do have in their favour is they are portable so the choker setter could just move it across the hill and reposition to suit and there'd be less need for a pulley and more line out getting caught in slash.

The same goes for the lewis winch - has some real good points but the speed is terrible and I'm not sure if it could be geared differently.

I believe they sell a high speed one too that you can check out. It would have less power though. I understand where you are coming from.

image.jpg I bought this Garwood 10k. Lb unit from a friends dad for a few hundred dollars. I have used it on my level property and it pulls very well. I am afraid to take it to my current wood lot as the terrain is very rough and I don't want to roll over my new tractor. You need a guy on the tractor who is quick on the clutch when a log snags. I will be adding a plate to the bottom of the winch to dig in when pulling.image.jpg

I found a MileMarker hydraulic winch on Craigs list for $450. It came off a truck and had been used a couple times in 10 years. Looked like new. It used the power steering pump on the truck for power. I use it on my tractor and plug in the remote hyd. Has remote control, 2 speed and freewheel. Has 100 ft. of 3/8" cable on it. I think it's rated about 10,500 lb. Haven't hooked to anything yet that it hasn't pulled. I did pull the hooks off a chain that had been used heavily over the years. Replaced hooks with a better grade and no problems since. This unit today sells between $1,100 and $1,200. I have it mounted in a 3 point frame with a trailer receiver hitch. I just welded a tube that fit the hitch so I can remove it and also pull the dump trailer. Has saw scaboard and 2 chain boxes on it also. I have to use large wheel chocks to hold the tractor. Park brake won't hold it while pulling logs.

Latest posts

Back