Hauled my first set of logs home to CSM!!!! Pictures of the setup.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddredgergold

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just went this past weekend and picked up my first set of logs. I did not run into to many troubles for the first time out. I need to make a few small changes to the boom in the rear of the trailer with 2 supports going towards the front of the trailer a couple of feet. Then I will paint it. These logs I got to use for the decking on the trailer itself. So now I will get them on the CSM and get to cutting. The logs are around 1800 pounds each. My truck says Gross GVW with trailer is 13,000 and I scailed this on the way home at 12,020 pounds. So I am well under. The trailer brakes are very powerful and on both axles. I am super happy with the setup. The winch is 12,000 pound. I run a 16,000 pound snatch block on the boom in the black clevis. That is a small cedar log in the middle. We loaded another trailer full of Cedar also. Was a good haul and we all came back with all our fingers and no one hurt. That is a good day! Stay tuned for some milled wood next! Oh yes these are sugar pine logs that have been on the ground since last winter or a good 4 months.

Last edited:
Nice setup! I thought about doing something like that to my trailer but making the truss detachable. I don't think i'll ever be able to talk mama into getting a skid steer for my "hobby". Maybe I could hide it behind the garage and she wouldn't know. hmmmmm.....

Nice setup! I thought about doing something like that to my trailer but making the truss detachable. I don't think i'll ever be able to talk mama into getting a skid steer for my "hobby". Maybe I could hide it behind the garage and she wouldn't know. hmmmmm.....

LOL yep we all have to many toys and the better half keeps us in check. But sometimes we have to get new goodies.

The truss is removable on mine! It just slides into pockets there at the back. lifts straight up and out. That way I can haul a tractor or car on top. The angles going forward are going to be just pads that rest on the trailer top. That way I can always take it off and use it as a regular trailer.

Good luck on yours mine is working out great with this setup.

Nice setup. I've got a trailer that I'm getting ready to convert to bring logs up to my portable sawmill, and I'm always looking for ideas. Snatch block is a good idea. Looking forward to pictures of the trailer with the deck on it. How do you plan to keep the decking from rotting?

Nice setup. I've got a trailer that I'm getting ready to convert to bring logs up to my portable sawmill, and I'm always looking for ideas. Snatch block is a good idea. Looking forward to pictures of the trailer with the deck on it. How do you plan to keep the decking from rotting?

Hello,
This is why I posted the pictures to help spark ideas for others. I looked around a bunch and there was a few things that helped me so I am passing the same along. I will post pix of the deck when done. I am going to use that new BEAR deck sealer on the wood before we bolt it to the deck of the trailer. Just roll each board and let dry. They say it works big time to seal it up. 2 gallons should do it. $35.00 a gallon. Not bad.

Hello,
This is why I posted the pictures to help spark ideas for others. I looked around a bunch and there was a few things that helped me so I am passing the same along. I will post pix of the deck when done. I am going to use that new BEAR deck sealer on the wood before we bolt it to the deck of the trailer. Just roll each board and let dry. They say it works big time to seal it up. 2 gallons should do it. $35.00 a gallon. Not bad.

I like Lowes brand Olympic deck sealer better then the BEAR stuff, it seems to cover better and last longer. Either way I would use a solid stain, not a transparent, as it will protect better

I have seen some where the boom pivots back to pick the logs up then it comes ahead so you can lower them on the back of the deck.

Back