Hauling chips - trucks being used

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can-Do-It

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I'm going to purchase a used chipper in the next month or two but I need some information on chip trucks or some other way of hauling chips.

I've been hauling brush to the land-fill on a 16' double axle trailer and renting chippers and leaving the chips for the customer. I did'nt think I can afford both but wanted to get some other options, if there are any.

Fire a-way and thank you for your input.

Can-Do-It

Can-do-it, A real dedicated chip truck with a big box and hydraulics for dumping is a WONDERFUL tool. If you have to to one thing at a time-that is understandable. Your options include chipping into a pickup with sideboards or enclosed trailer and then shoveling/raking it all out. A garden rake works well for emptying a pick-up. An ensilage fork/cottonseed fork works great whereever you have room to swing it. OR you could put a dump kit on a pickup for under $1000.

Thanks Stumper. The post was moved, I'm not sure where and why.

The problem using the pick-up is storage of equipment. The more I think about it, buying a chip truck may be the only way to go.

I've thought of placing some kind break down box on the front of the trailer but then I have the problem of towing the chipper. I think that someone from the forum mentioned one time of using a large tire placed in the back of the box with rope attached and pulling the whole load out at one time. One of the good things here at our landfill is that the dozer operator will pull the load off the trailer. If it's brush, just place a rope across the trailer about 1/3 the length of the trailer. Place limbs across rope and tuck rope to the sides until you get to the land-fill. then un-tuck the ropes, cross the ropes on top of your load and tie to dozer. Operator pulls entire load off. And if rope gets stuck, will pull rope free. Not a bad idea. Old timer at the landfill show it to me. Who says you can't learn new tricks.

Stumper, any idea what a used chip truck would cost.

I put a big tool box in the front of my pickup and built a chip box right behind it. It works out to about a 6 ft cube for chips, plenty for most prunning jobs, and i can always bring the trailer with the other truck for bigger jobs. Its pretty funny lookin but it gets the job done. i'll see if i can post a pic in the next couple days. I was thinking about getting one of those load handlers for unloading

Last edited:
A dedicated chip truck is the way to go. The time saved in having your equipment organized and with you in the truck will pay for itself. When my chip truck had to have its trans repaired and I rented a 1 ton dump with no tool boxes, trying to work out of it was just plain miserable. You could probably find a good used chip truck for around $15000.

Can-do-it, This one cost $3000. Had to travel to get it. Spent $350 on brakes. Used it a few months and put $1200 in clutch and tranny parts. -So under 5K and it has been working well-butEveryone says I "stole" it. These old Asplundh and Wright trucks usually go for over $6k on Ebay.

Second pic shows truck and Olathe 984 chipper

Hmmmm I'll try again.

Stumper said:
Arrgh.... What is the deal about not being able to repost a pic that is already archived?
Here is a link.http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=17735
I am glad I am not the only one to ask that question, but have not received answer yet. And you did not steal that truck, you paid the groundman for it while the owner was still in the tree :p
As for question of chip truck, if you are buying a chipper, you will need a dump truck, or something that dumps, there is nothing worse than raking off a load of chips out of a box, especially after a long day, or a rainy day, or worse after a few days. :)

What do you mean, Justin?

The new setup is still not totally configured correctly.&nbsp; Your old image is http://www.arboristsite.com/attach/18300.jpg and is currently being served up as http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18300 which is not a web-cacheable entity due to the URL having a "?" in it.&nbsp; PLS previously had it set up to serve an HTTP response with the<blockquote>Location: http://www.arboristsite.com/attach/18300.jpg</blockquote> directive, which when automatically followed by the requesting client, <i>is</i> cacheable.

I doubt, though, that's what you were talking about and I'm curious about that.

Glen

Glen, When I made my post I "browsed" my own files for the image then tried to upload it. I then got a message saying the image was already on thread x. The link to the image Did not appear in my post. I don't mind that the software doesn't store the data all over again-Saving space makes sense. I do wish that the tools for computer idiots were programmed to go ahead and accomplish what we are trying to do-link to the attachment so that the post reader can go look at it. I know that you know how to make things appear as you wish-I do not. :dizzy:

Can Do It,
This is the set up I am using for hauling my chips. I can install this chip box on my truck in under 10 min by myself. This size load of chips takes about 15 min to unload with a pitch fork. A full heaping load takes about 30 min. I also chip onto a tarp, this allows you to pull the last 150+ pounds of chips off.
IMO this setup is still better than using a trailer which I still have to use for dead wood jobs.
Buy the way this chipper is for sale, I am moving up to a 12'' drum olatha.

:)

This new mechanism is nice in that it will allow multiple attachments, but it falls far short of utilitarian quality for the simple things.

Justin, open the "User CP" link with whatever mechanism you have for opening a link in a new window or tab, browse to your image and select the link with the right button.&nbsp; If your browser is any kind of standard, you'll have a pop-up menu option of "copying" the "link location" or some similar terminology.&nbsp; Then switch back to your composition window and "paste" the link into your post.&nbsp; That in itself will be sufficient to make it a "clickable" link, but if you want to make it one with some special text as the "clickable" part of the link, surround the link immediately with <font color="red"><b>your text</b></font>.&nbsp; It's somewhere in the FAQ, I think.

Glen

Glen, Yeah but I took a different route-right clicked on the attachment selected properties and copied the url.

Nice trucks, Stumper and Danial. Thanks Guy's for the information. I think part of the problem is not knowing where to start looking for a used chip truck. Someone mentioned Ebay. Which I'll look at. I'll also scan for the names Asplundh and Wright trucks thru the Internet.

Thanks again for the information.

Can-Do-It :blob2:

Latest posts

Back