Have a new fireplace, Now unable to get wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can blame it on bad luck, the aging process, or whatever - Fact is, we'd all like to still do things as easy as we used to. A kid with carts, a car wreck, or a tree going to wrong way. Your life can change in seconds, you deal with it as it comes.

I know back pain. Thrown my back out quite a few times. When it was real bad, and I could barely walk, I could not make firewood. That is a fact.

I was injured by a guy with out of control carts who laughed after he hit me, I am not kidding, I have incurred medical expenses already. I have bought more drugs and I have to see a Dr. My insurance does not cover accidents on private property like at a store so they WILL have to pay for at least that much.

I am just at a loss as to how we will get other stuff done we needed to get done during this summer without hiring someone which we can not do either due to lack of money.

I couldn't think of a better reason to contact an attorney. Just remember to never feel bad about suing a store if something like this happens, they have insurance for things like this, and you will simply be suing their insurance company. If all you end up with is enough money to cover your medical bills, and to hire someone to get the things done around the house that need to be done, at least you will feel better mentally.

Please give more detail of the accident. I can not see a scenario in my minds eye where you could get hit by a kid pushing a line of grocery carts and not be at fault. Keep in mind sue happy people are driving our insurance rates up. Yes I understand pain well.

Everyone has an opinion, but was the kid in control of the carts? Obviously not. A kid using one of those cart movers actually hit my truck with a line of carts. Why??? Because he was texting on his phone while he was supposed to be guiding the carts.

I know it is tough to be in the situation with a back problem, and I know a few guys who can do quite a bit with their bad back. But there are those unforeseen jolts that can be extremely painful. A friend stepping over a blowdown had a branch snap with his weight on it, and it was maybe only an inch or so off the ground, but I remember he was down for a few days.

I wish I had an easy answer as to how to get the things done that you need done. Maybe you do need to contact an attorney just for the simple reason that you life has now been disrupted, and somehow it is going to cost you down the line.

Just curious...

First of all I am sorry to hear of your chronic pain! I am not doubting your story but, how were you cutting firewood before the accident. You mentioned that your back was hurting before the accident. That was the reason that you were unable to get out of the path of the runaway carts. I hope that you have a speedy recovery!!!

Regardless who is at fault, it sucks to have back pain; not only does it affect you physically but it also affects you mentally-it's constantly in the back of your mind, so I hope that you get well enough to get firewood which is what is at the crux of this problem. When the time comes that I can't get firewood anymore, well, you might as well start throwin' dirt on me 'cause I'd miss it like crazy.

Hope that you recover enough to get some wood in.

Sorry about your luck. I wish I were closer I'd come help with your firewood.

I understand about those cart trains. My aunts mother in law was run down by one. A bunch of people yelling and screaming at the kid to stop as he literally mowed her over with several of them. Broke her arm, hip and several severe bruises.

Last edited:
Regardless who is at fault, it sucks to have back pain; not only does it affect you physically but it also affects you mentally-it's constantly in the back of your mind, so I hope that you get well enough to get firewood which is what is at the crux of this problem. When the time comes that I can't get firewood anymore, well, you might as well start throwin' dirt on me 'cause I'd miss it like crazy.

Hope that you recover enough to get some wood in.

Nice 1....RCR, i feel for you guy. Altho I have not had surgery, I refuse it. I have a bad lower back, elbows, knee.

Right now, it takes me alot longer to do what I used to, BUT, I still do it. RCR, do what you can and you will figure out how to do things your way. I have learned how to work smarter and not harder. Just be very careful, please.

WE get wood as fast as we can manage, that's how!

:confused:If it's really that hard to move out of the way of carts (had you heard them coming), HOW THE HE77 CAN YOU POSSIBLY MAKE FIREWOOD?

I guess I should have heard the carts that were out of control over and above the hundreds of other carts that were acting normally and and had a normal driver behind them Think about what you just said!​

I cut wood in the woods slowly and with deliberate action. It may take 2 weekends to get 1 face cord cut from a tree that is on the ground. PLus my wife helps a GREAT deal with lifting. If a log is too heavy such as over #50 my brother's will help. If we split wood with splitter I work the controls while wife lifts and "manhandles" the logs. If we work in the woods we split the next weekend I can not do cut & split on 1 weekend at once. When I get home it is resting in bed for a week or more. Any "work" we ever do is on weekends only so I can recuperate during the week.

Below are 2 photos of our work in the woods when I was feeling good enough to work a bit 1+ year ago.
1st photo: we cut those 2 YR OLD dead fall cherry logs on the ground over a span of 1.5 days. The wood pile is what my dad cut earlier in 1 afternoon.
attachment.php

2nd photo is of full trailer with my "loader/helper" wife standing behind the trailer, it took 1.5 days to fill the trailer. We stacked it into a pile the next day. Luckily it was a 3 day weekend since it took 2 days to cut, fill and unload the trailer.
attachment.php

How long would it take normally to fill a 4'x8' trailer and you will be able to see how long we take!

I DO WHAT I CAN THAT IS HOW I GET WOOD FOR FIREPLACE

First of all I am sorry to hear of your chronic pain! I am not doubting your story but, how were you cutting firewood before the accident. You mentioned that your back was hurting before the accident. That was the reason that you were unable to get out of the path of the runaway carts. I hope that you have a speedy recovery!!!

I have had 2 back surgeries and they both failed over a time span of 12 years.
I was not cutting wood for 3 weeks before the accident. I was shucking corn. I walked half way normal speed for me anyway into the store. By the time we finished shopping and talking to manager I could not lift a carton of cream and my wife helped me into the truck.

Finally a person understands problem, it takes a person with back pain to know pain

I know back pain. Thrown my back out quite a few times. When it was real bad, and I could barely walk, I could not make firewood. That is a fact.

THANK YOU FOR COMMENTS, Finally a person who understands my dilemma. It is the unexpected jolts that kill us at least those who have chronic back pain. Last surgery was disk fusion that failed miserably and I have to watch very carefully everything I do and how I do it. I may be able to accomplish something a normal person can do, but it ALWAYS ALWAYS takes much much much much much much longer. I am proud my wife has the patience for me,since I get frustrated with the slow pace.
Also with the pain killers my loss of concentration and reasoning is ridiculous. You should see me trying to pick out a screw to use for a project in a store full of screws, it takes hours:dizzy::laugh:

Shell shocked cart shoppers plus SITUATION

Please give more detail of the accident. I can not see a scenario in my minds eye where you could get hit by a kid pushing a line of grocery carts and not be at fault. Keep in mind sue happy people are driving our insurance rates up. Yes I understand pain well.

These posts disgust me with your move out of the way of the carts.
Are you shopping cart shell shocked or something?

Is it not a common sound in a shopping center to hear shopping carts. Are we now all supposed to start jumping around when we hear a shopping cart in a shopping mall?

Are we supposed to start looking wild eyed for a wild shopping cart that may be out of control out of the hundreds of carts that are moving and making wobbly wheel sounds?

Well go ahead and make fools of yourselves when you start acting like that.

I could understand jumping at the sound of a shopping cart that may be coming towards you if you were in the woods with no other cats around and not supposed to be there. But in a place where there are thousands of carts,Stupid.

Situation:
A parking lot next to me, a major 5 lane street nearby and we were outside at the entrance of the large produce store standing at a table shucking corn and this kid ran into me with his load of shopping carts that he was pushing into the store. PAIN and simple.

I am/was careful in actions

Nice 1....RCR, i feel for you guy. Altho I have not had surgery, I refuse it. I have a bad lower back, elbows, knee.

Right now, it takes me alot longer to do what I used to, BUT, I still do it. RCR, do what you can and you will figure out how to do things your way. I have learned how to work smarter and not harder. Just be very careful, please.

I have been doing all my work and even walking careful,slow and at my pace. My wife does most of the work around the property and house and I help as much as possible. We stop when I can not do anymore, so I do not get into a laid up condition. That is why it takes so long to even just get 1 load of wood.

Then this happens and everything has changed and a pray I do NOT need another surgery since the past one failed BAD and was in hospital for 3 weeks longer than expected due to problems at hospital. :jawdrop:Once back surgery takes place the problem climbs up particulary for tall people and I am 6'6". No I did not play Basketball or baseball:)

Sorry for delay in responses

Sorry for delay in responses, but I have been extremely tired with meds all weekend.

I just wanna say that #3 cheated alot.

So did 48,17-Waltrip, 2 -Wallace, 55 Waltrip, 24-Gordon

By the way if you mean cheated by the same way that chad knaus cheated for $48, The #3 did not do that as much, He just drove hard and took nobody prisoners, if you held him up for too long you were history.
Nowadays a driver gets penalized if he bumps a car and races are getting boring. Even the usual bumping and banging at Bristol and the All star race are gone.:(

Keslowski win at Talladega was great and the best finish bumping and banging finish in a long time. Keslowski is from my same hometown also and we are very proud of him.

Hope you can get back into better condition. I don't understand the people posting who think if you are injured you can't do _anything_. One learns how to 'work around', work smart, work slowly, etc. but an injury short of paraplegia is rarely an excuse to just quit. I have had two hips joints replaced and I was out 'wooding' while still usign a cane. Didn't get much done, but I was out there.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back