Have I made a big mistake by buying a new MS362 saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaflight101

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, been a while since posting here. Bought a new 045 super back in 1980, 37 years ago, its been a heck of a saw and is running today. I use anywhere between 3 to 5 cords to heat the house, depending on how much I want to use the wood stove. About 10 years ago I lost the electronic ignition on the 045, dam, what a loss, but picked up a 056 trade in at a dealer and the electronic ignition had spark. Long story short, I was able to get the 045 up and running. long story short, last night at the local saw shop, I was bribed into a new ms362 with a 25" bar, hope I am not going to be disappointed. The 045 is a great saw and owes me nothing, just hoping the ms362 will do the same. Not sure what to do with the 045 and all the extra parts now.

Just ran mine with a 25" bar and a full skip chain in some oak wider than the bar and it did fine. I usually use a 20" on it with regular chain.

The maximum bar length for a 60cc is 24''. Of course it will work, but maybe you will not be a delighted as with a 80cc saw. You are very close to its maximum. Using a skip chain might put a smile back on your face. Buy a loop of skip chain and if you like it then grab a roll. I used a 6' bar on my 056 super for a small amount of time, but was more happy with the 32'' bar. It might be possible to get a 54mm piston and cylinder for your 045 thus making it a 056. Several of my Husky 460s have 24'' bars, but they are not setting the world on fire with power. Thanks

The maximum bar length for a 60cc is 24''. Of course it will work, but maybe you will not be a delighted as with a 80cc saw. You are very close to its maximum. Using a skip chain might put a smile back on your face. Buy a loop of skip chain and if you like it then grab a roll. I used a 6' bar on my 056 super for a small amount of time, but was more happy with the 32'' bar. It might be possible to get a 54mm piston and cylinder for your 045 thus making it a 056. Several of my Husky 460s have 24'' bars, but they are not setting the world on fire with power. Thanks
Thanks all for the encouragement. The dealer took the low kick back chain off and gave me a full chisel skip to replace it along with another chain. Haven't run it yet, but am looking forward to finding out. Have been told by others from the area that the ms362 is a good saw, but took it with a grain of salt and figured I would ask here. Seems to be a rougher crowd here and not many worry about hurting ones feel bads, lol. I would box it up and sent it to ya square 1, but the dam thing cost me to much to let go of it that easy. Nice try though, that gives me words of encouragement. Ted, the 045 super does have a 54 mm piston and the mag 11 I believe is a 56 mm if I remember right, going to be a tough road for the ms362 to hold its own against the 045. I am a firm believer in the skip chain as that's what I used on the 045. As far as the 25" bar, I believe that's the max that they say a 262 will pull, being from the west and not from the east, most of our wood out here is junk wood compared to what your eastern hardwoods are. most of our firewood is spruce, aspen, and some pine if you can find it. soft wood compared to the eastern hardwoods. Maybe need to look at a port and muffler job when the warranty is over. any recommendations?

If I needed a 24/25" bar regularly I would want a larger saw, 70cc+.

That doesn't mean 60cc saws won't do it in a pinch, but they really are at their best with shorter bars. Even a 20" is a long one.

Using skip chain has its own set of disadvantages.

No, I've liked all mine, no problems. A 25 bar is a bit much for 60cc. Much happier with a 20. I think you'll like it the more you run ir.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
I've had 2 different near new 362s with standard carb and both were great. My current one is the M-Tronic and was my first auto carb. Impressed enough to get 661s. I bought a 20" Total Light bar. I've used a 24" on one of the 362s worked okay but never had bar buried.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Hello all, been a while since posting here. Bought a new 045 super back in 1980, 37 years ago, its been a heck of a saw and is running today. I use anywhere between 3 to 5 cords to heat the house, depending on how much I want to use the wood stove. About 10 years ago I lost the electronic ignition on the 045, dam, what a loss, but picked up a 056 trade in at a dealer and the electronic ignition had spark. Long story short, I was able to get the 045 up and running. long story short, last night at the local saw shop, I was bribed into a new ms362 with a 25" bar, hope I am not going to be disappointed. The 045 is a great saw and owes me nothing, just hoping the ms362 will do the same. Not sure what to do with the 045 and all the extra parts now.
I have the standard carb 362. Have had it two years & run a 20". Zero problems.

The lowly 460 can be awakened, muffler mod, cut the limiters on the carb and adjust in the cut. That's all it takes to make that 24" bar sing!

24" isn't a big deal on a 460. I run a 34" on mine and it does fine. I suppose a 660 would pull it better, but honestly I wasn't overly impressed with the 660 I had.

When you start the saw after it is warm do not move the master control lever to choke-cold start. After the saw is warm it will start in one pull without moving any controls.
If you choke a M-Tronic when it is warm they like to flood and not restart until they are cold.

I think what everyone is trying to say is that you did good....enjoy your new saw. If you can afford it now buy a 18" or a 20" bar but keep the 24" also.

Thanks all, buyers remorse is now gone, lol. Believe I have a 18" bar that is in good shape that I once had on the 045, have to find out if it will fit the ms362. anybody know for sure? Put a 28" on the 045 so that I didn't have to bend over so much, was hoping the 25 would do similar on the 362.

Back