Have you ever driven over your $500 saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have you ever driven over your $500 saw? I thought I did today. I was in a farmer's field cutting up some bulldozed ash trees. :chainsaw: I finished up, loaded up the saws, gas can, b & c oil, and equipment box. I got in the truck, fired it up and drove off. The rear tire of my truck immediately went up and over something laying on the ground...and my heart sunk. Could that have been my new Husqvarna? I swore I put it in the bed of the truck...but did I? I threw the truck in park, tore out of the cab and ran around to look at...I worried...the smashed remains of my new XP.

Lucky for me it was a log that had rolled under my tire when I was loading. Whew!! As a habit, I never leave my saws laying on the ground but rather set them on the hood of my truck reminding me what I need to load up before I leave. In my heart I knew I didn't run over my saw...but I couldn't see it in the bed from the driver seat...and with my new saw I am very protective of it...but alas I have it for another day.

Has anyone out there ever driven over their saw before?

Safe cutting.

no but i lost a saw off the back of the truck going 2 mph once and toasted the handle/tank. sucks.

i lost a husqy 136 out of the front bucket on a tractor and got stopped just as i made the handle a little more 'ergonomic'.:laugh:

i left my 346 on top of the tractor tire, not on the fender box and took off. drove right over it pushing it into soft clay between two tree roots.:censored: i used the receiver hitch on my truck as a pipe bender to straighten the wrap handle and spent a period of time getting the clay out of the recoil cover. ran it the rest of the day and ever since.

and finnaly i left my dads 2156 in the front bucket for the last hitch of the day. got stuck coming across a little draw. i used the bucket to pull the tractor through. :jawdrop: didnt see the saw under the tractor until the hitch was almost over it! i dont know how, but i didnt scratch it. ran the tires right over the bar that just pushed down into the snow.

got out of all three incidents for free.

then i rolled a log onto my 372 and had to replace intake elbow filter and top covers. :buttkick::angry:

I haven't but I know a guy that has. He was clearing a lot and went to go dump a truckload of chips didn't see the saw and backed over it. I'm not sure what he broke but he had to replace a bunch of parts but is still using it.

Yes, I've driven over my $500 saw, +$100.

Backed the TC45 tractor front wheel over the MS361. Fortunately the 361 is a beast! Just a small nick on the handle.

and finnaly i left my dads 2156 in the front bucket for the last hitch of the day. got stuck coming across a little draw. i used the bucket to pull the tractor through. :jawdrop: didnt see the saw under the tractor until the hitch was almost over it! i dont know how, but i didnt scratch it. ran the tires right over the bar that just pushed down into the snow.

Dang tractor bucket is too handy to set things in for something that's designed to dump out! I've lost more than one log chain that way, as well as miscellaneous tools. I haven't had a saw mishap, as I usually only carry one saw with on the tractor, and it hangs on the side of the loader frame.

I did land a 18" birch on my MS290 a couple years back. It was a leaner, and I was working alone. I put the rope on it, tightened up with the tractor, made the back cut till I got a little movement, set the saw down, and scampered for the tractor to finish the pull. I left too much hinge on one side, and when I pulled it down, the tree spun off to one side and right on top of the saw...CRAP! New front handle and some plastic, and it's been back in business ever since. Lesson Learned: Never do a 2 man job alone!

I remember about 15 years back a farmer asked a buddy and I if we wanted to help with wood and being about 16 and needing gas money we did it.

the next day he picks us up in his old dumpbed graintruck that had what looked like a full steering wheel worth of front end slop as we trucked out of town.
after a half hour we come to his wood lot/ junkyard!!! and proceeded to fall some junk and cut it up.
5 hours later we had a load so we started to pack up and at that time the old guy gets chest pains and says his pills are in town so we all get in and as we drove off the truck jumps like a foot and the result was 2 crushed stihl 290's.

old guy made it and he even paid us !!

i ran over my dad's stihl with the tractor....

now we have loads of extra parts...only because he made me buy another one...

i cracked the jug and block.

Dang tractor bucket is too handy to set things in for something that's designed to dump out! I've lost more than one log chain that way, as well as miscellaneous tools. I haven't had a saw mishap, as I usually only carry one saw with on the tractor, and it hangs on the side of the loader frame.

I did land a 18" birch on my MS290 a couple years back. It was a leaner, and I was working alone. I put the rope on it, tightened up with the tractor, made the back cut till I got a little movement, set the saw down, and scampered for the tractor to finish the pull. I left too much hinge on one side, and when I pulled it down, the tree spun off to one side and right on top of the saw...CRAP! New front handle and some plastic, and it's been back in business ever since. Lesson Learned: Never do a 2 man job alone!
same thing happened to my saw--with a 34dbh soft maple. just as it went over,it spun hard. never had happen before or since. bent handle,broke bar stud loose, and pulled threads on two screws. helicoils,straightened handle, made soft plug for stud hole--still running---dang trees---

Ran over the handle on my 038 mag a few years ago. Bought a used tank/ handle off ebay. Could've been worse, but I wasn't happy to spend $75 because I lost track of the saw.

This is one thread you don't want to succeed at.

i'm sure these are all accidents. i doubt anyone has intentions trying to run them over....

long day, miserable humidity, heavy lifting, getting close to dinner time, etc.....CRUNCH.....uh oh....

sometimes it's silent and tractor tire heaves up off the ground..."....wtf!!?...."

Dummy alert!!!

Got done with dropping two pines for a little old lady neighbor and seen the guy across the street had left his headlights on in his s-10. Being a good neighbor, I started up my truck, nudged the gas and crunch! Rolled my 084 over on its side and ground it and my HT101 into gravel/soil along the side of the road. Luckily, I only busted a 50 cent piece hole in the recoil on the 084 (full wrap bar! ya!) and damaged my home made scabbard. The pole pruner also skidded along the ground some and I broke a piece off the recoil at the bottom. To add insult to injury, the damn neighbor was still in his truck! He was just sitting there chilling and never even knew what I did. Now when I get done with my tools, I put them INTO THE BED!!!! Lesson learned

Ran over a 2 week old jred 2165 a few years ago. Damn near turned it into a pancake:bang::bang: the tires were loaded with 1200lbs of calcium each.

I have an adult daycare for 20 somethings, at recess they do tree work and I usually replace at least 1 saw that was run over and 1 that got dumped with a load of chips.

Lest I seem whiney I'll tell a story of a self inflicted expense:
I'm in a hurry to get somewhere but a crew needed a woodsplitter to finish a job so I offered to drop it off and split (no pun intended). I stopped at the gas station to grab something for lunch, jumped back in my pickup and took off just as this stupid truckdriver blocks the exit to BS with his buddy. I waited a minute for him to realize that his dumb azz was causing a traffic jamb but it never registered. Now I'm raged so I slam it in reverse to go out another away but I forgot about the splitter and backed over it at about 15 mph. Hearing the commotion, Lurch finally looks up and realizes he's parked stupidly, and drives off leaving me embarrassed in the middle of the parking lot.

Back