Have you ever refused a job because you think its too dangerous?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right there, El Jeffe. I just don't always know the way to do it. I'll leave it to you cats with more experience while I prune some Malus, Radiants and deadwood a few Fraxinus to cover wages.

Why doesn't spell check software on an arborist forum recognize words like, well, arborist for one?

Spell check don't believe in us!
Jeff :)

I am confused by that. Don't have too much fun on me!
Jeff :confused: :)

Never turned one tree down. I have not gotten some that I wanted on my terms....but never declined to do one tree in 40 years. One tree was so dangerous I put a $10k plus price on topping to not get killed, but....surprise...they jumped on it...didn't die (unless I am living in a paralell universe where we have all died at one time I sometimes consider :))

I have had a number of near death experiences.

Last edited:
Never turned one tree down. I have not gotten some that I wanted on my terms....but never declined to do one tree in 40 years. One tree was so dangerous I put a $10k plus price on topping to not get killed, but....surprise...they jumped on it...didn't die (unless I am living in a paralell universe where we have all died at one time I sometimes consider :))

I have had a number of near death experiences.

Same here. I have been at it awhile too. I have literally never turned a tree down. The most I have gotten for a single tree is $4600. I have bid them up to $8k. Best I have made is $750 an hour. I'll take a risk for that kind of money and always have.

17 years, turned only one down. Cottonwood with a major high long lead over a structure. Decay below the limb, tie-in point horizontal and 40 feet out from where the cut would be made. The order was to reduce the length. I told him I would call a buddy with a 90' bucket.

Bucket guy delayed for weeks and one night, no storms or anything, this limb crashed the roof.
I'm certain it would have crashed under my weight. That's what I felt when assessing it. It may be the only tree I ever walk from.

However, I've got a lightning-struck 130 foot hackberry that is has monstrous limbs from 80-110 feet, limbs two hugs around. Leaning the wrong way, dozens of trees right beneath. No ability to chop n' drop. Not bucket or crane accessible. This one makes my skin tingle when I think of it.
I won't walk away, but on this one I will need a good set of guys on the ground, preferably a contract groundie with a GRCS. I can handle the aerial, but I have to go really big. We'll get another three guys to do schlepping Anyone wanna step forward on this little doozie? Sanborn? You wanna run ground ops?

I've never had anyone lower material for me. I always have done it from up in the tree and had groundguy just unclip for me. This would be a unique experience for the Tree Machine. Anyone?

OK, since we are all talking, My big scary days were back about 1994. Catalina Island, Blue gums at Pebbly Beach. They were from 120' to 200'. All I had to do was bring them down to 60' for the crane to take them. These are quanset huts under big euc;s, . I did about a tree every two or three days. Alot of speedlines and rigging transfers. I had a time limit to get it done, but I met a beautiful lady!
Jeff :)
BTW, the owner fired me at the last 2 to go, easy ones, quess I will never know why! Hope her name ain't Teresa!
Jeff:)

I assume this is the one you were talking to me about last month TM. Sorry things didn't work out. Medical complications kept me from making it to IN to even attend my family reunion. I'd love to work that one with you but again, the medical thing is making me stick close to home right now. Lemme see what the doc says this week and maybe I can come help out.

Same tree, clients wiling to wait, at least til the weather gets cool.

You run your own business, MD. I can't see how you'd find time to come be my groundguy. That's silly to think a dude of your talent could even consider something like this.

It would just be another (really) big tree if it weren't for the opposing lean toward the neighbor and the dense treeline beneath. It requires lowering with tagline assistance to draw the limbage from over top the undergrowth. Or zipline, but I know I mentioned the limbs are rather huge and that I don't want to go small, otherwise we'll be two days getting this crown out. Like, using the 575XP & 24" bar kinda cuts at 80 feet up. The bifurcation of the first fork is 60 feet up and is at least 6 feet across. At least that piece can be bombed once we get there. The whole crown must be lowered away from the area beneath the crown. It's a different beast. Probably would be smarter to walk away.

17 years, turned only one down. Cottonwood with a major high long lead over a structure. Decay below the limb, tie-in point horizontal and 40 feet out from where the cut would be made. The order was to reduce the length. I told him I would call a buddy with a 90' bucket.

Bucket guy delayed for weeks and one night, no storms or anything, this limb crashed the roof.
I'm certain it would have crashed under my weight. That's what I felt when assessing it. It may be the only tree I ever walk from.

However, I've got a lightning-struck 130 foot hackberry that is has monstrous limbs from 80-110 feet, limbs two hugs around. Leaning the wrong way, dozens of trees right beneath. No ability to chop n' drop. Not bucket or crane accessible. This one makes my skin tingle when I think of it.
I won't walk away, but on this one I will need a good set of guys on the ground, preferably a contract groundie with a GRCS. I can handle the aerial, but I have to go really big. We'll get another three guys to do schlepping Anyone wanna step forward on this little doozie? Sanborn? You wanna run ground ops?

I've never had anyone lower material for me. I always have done it from up in the tree and had groundguy just unclip for me. This would be a unique experience for the Tree Machine. Anyone?

If it was winter I would come down the highway and work with you. We booked.

Same tree, clients wiling to wait, at least til the weather gets cool.

You run your own business, MD. I can't see how you'd find time to come be my groundguy. That's silly to think a dude of your talent could even consider something like this.

It would just be another (really) big tree if it weren't for the opposing lean toward the neighbor and the dense treeline beneath. It requires lowering with tagline assistance to draw the limbage from over top the undergrowth. Or zipline, but I know I mentioned the limbs are rather huge and that I don't want to go small, otherwise we'll be two days getting this crown out. Like, using the 575XP & 24" bar kinda cuts at 80 feet up. The bifurcation of the first fork is 60 feet up and is at least 6 feet across. At least that piece can be bombed once we get there. The whole crown must be lowered away from the area beneath the crown. It's a different beast. Probably would be smarter to walk away.

Love to see some picts or vid?

Noticed you are doing it in the cold. Maybe I bring my gm down and some stuff and we knock it out. Have talked of meeting you in the past.

I'm having to deal with doctor appointments right now and business has been heating up. However, I was not happy about missing my family reunion and do plan to travel to Indy before the Summer is over to visit some family. Maybe I can help out if you've still got it on the line.

Well, I'm gonna keep this tree on the back burner. They're a 'go' anytime, but I need to have a strategy. I'm too booked to do the tree, but have to fit it in somewhere. I'd prefer Winter, the Summer of 2010 is just blazing hot, too much for a gargantuan dismantle. It's dangerous to put ground men in this kinda heat, with this physically demanding of a tree (70 feet up a grade to get to the chipper & trailer). I'll wait for cooler temps, whenever that might be.

Still looking for the guy with the GRCS or equivalent major league lowering device.

I apologise if I took this thread on a derail. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

The TM is shelving the solo gig for a monster? You've had a good run, longer than most. Anyway for a mini skid to get down the grade? Sounds like quite an undertaking. You could have a semi-celebrity ground crew with the Vet down from OH and the Good Doctor up from OK. Might be fun.

Well I've been reading all your posts here guys and thank you for them but I would like to explain coupla' of things.
My initial idea to do that job was with a crane- but I do not do the bidding - the owner does; and guess what we were the lowest bidders (it was for a county so they always go for the lowest) - so there was no way to get a crane and not to go broke.
Second of all that lift just didn't feel right - there was too much horizontal movement in that bucket- when I stepped on one edge the other one would go up about 8 - 10"
Anyway the other guys in the crew didn't mind working with it so we did get it on the ground - and actually it helped in long run - I got little break from climbing- that was one helluva week 8-10 hrs 5 days in a row in 90+ degree weather

Same here. I have been at it awhile too. I have literally never turned a tree down. The most I have gotten for a single tree is $4600. I have bid them up to $8k. Best I have made is $750 an hour. I'll take a risk for that kind of money and always have.

I just did a tree last week for $4500.. and I tell you this thing I saw yesterday was bad ass!

I went to look at it thinking "yeah right, I gotta see this, scoff, scoff". When we got there, there was another older guy looking at it, he says "its about as bad as you're ever gonna see". He might be right.

Back