Have you ever refused a job because you think its too dangerous?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you install a frame under the log to support it, maybe using some lolly columns and a welder?

TreeJack.jpg

I saw this at the ISA show, they want $7800 if i recall right.

Could you install a frame under the log to support it, maybe using some lolly columns and a welder?

TreeJack.jpg

That's not a bad thought actually. The problem is that the tree is down a steep drop off to the rear of the house, so it would be a pita to lug too much stuff down there.

$7800 huh.. I'll bet those things are selling like hotcakes! :laugh:

That's not a bad thought actually. The problem is that the tree is down a steep drop off to the rear of the house, so it would be a pita to lug too much stuff down there.

$7800 huh.. I'll bet those things are selling like hotcakes! :laugh:

Yeah, i said that if i used it for more then 3-4 times a year I could justify the cost....

Design it to bolt together so that the connectors are the same size as the nuts for the column adjustment screws. Have drive pins for the anchor plates so it does not slid down the slope...

Build the material costs into the job so they have the option for you to haul it out you labor cost to disassemble, haul and stow it at your shop. Should be two or three crew hours extra there.

It sounds like this dude is gonna skirt out on this tree maybe.. he is an "Arborist" after all. Lol.

The one guy was talking about getting a crane big enough to pick the whole tree - which I guessed at about 45k using the green log chart. Thats just the one half of this twin oak that can be reached with a crane. It's hung up in another big oak dead center behind the house, and partially uprooted/split at the twin.

Anyone ever heard of taking a pick that big.. I mean I guess it's possible providing you have a spot to put it down. I would take the day off to spec that scene out for sure!

I'd like to see pics of that.
Jeff ;)

I have only turned down one - 20 Honey Locust trees (years ago) - the original Honey locust, bristling with clusters of 3 inch thorns.

Generally I price myself out of nasty trees, but explain why the price is the way it is. And I have priced a few I hoped I would never get, and generally I don't. For the cemetery job, I would recommend they get a service that regularly does crane work. I don't use cranes at all.

TreeJack.jpg

Got word yesterday that the tree fell down on its own.. went sideways, took out some other smaller trees, and just missed the house. So I guess it was pretty dangerous.

Sounds like the big oak it was leaning in may be compromised, and have to go now.

No where near as big as your tree but last week I took a 50 foot white pine completely uprooted and laying in another tree, boomed out and put a line 3/4 up and went up a tree opposite it 40 feet away. Went up it and put a pulley the same height up and a pulley on the base of this support tree.

hooked the line to the bucket truck and pulled the tree straight up....then installed a heavy duty cable with cast eye bolts and big washers on both.

The guy was ####less with happiness.

Back