Have you ever....?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't do that, I have enough problems of my own without worrying about things like that. I f they asked for advice are help are some had gotten them selves in trouble and I'm talking about bodily injury thats a different story.but in general nope. It tends to P.O. people.

Shoot, they may not even understand you. I got home from work a while back, and a small crew was finishing a multi-tree removal across the street. A young yay-hoo was abusing an obviously dull supposedly new MS 360, and I walked up to ask if I could cut up some of the wood. It took quite a while to get the Hispanic foreman to understand that yes, I have my own saw, and that I merely wished to cut up some of the limbs for firewood. He said OK, and I brought out the 044 and quickly lopped up a bunch of 12-15"+ red elm, which is actually a very nice mid-cold weather firewood. I did not try to explain to the yay-hoo how to avoid binding up the 360, I didn't want to waste the daylight, and I could sense the advice would not have been welcome.

The heat from the wood will sure be welcome next winter............

yes. I was collecting the wood from a city contract. The guys cut some massive hickory in an old neighborhood and I removed it. They were killing themselves with a bunch of beat up old huskys and very dull chain. So I made a few of the last cuts of the day for them and helped cut the stumps. You would think they would know how to sharpen a chain. If it were me I would have the new guy on the crew sharpening chains and keeping filters clean but they thought is was better for him to be standing around smoking? The biggest saw I had at the time was the 361 with full comp and a 25" bar, still cut faster then there big huskys. I'm sure it was due to the chain, but it was kinda funny at there amazement with the 361. They keep saying man thats a runner. Its just got a muff mod and my hand sharpened chain, yea it will cut but it ain't THAT fast.

Last edited:
Do you actually think you could hang with a tree crew for 10 hours a day busting a$$?? What saws were they running? I'm sure they knew what will get the job done. They are making a living doing it.

im not talkin ten hours and this tree had to be atleast 5 foot around, it was not a tall tree though just big around. this wasn't a big company because their biggest saw was an 036 that looked to have seen better days.. they also had a cute little tophandle for limbing and a 028wb. took them 3 hours to drop the tree and cut it up. i just wanted to lend a hand cuz i knew the homeowner. they know their job better than i do lol im not there to tell them what to do. i just enjoy cutting and i don't cut alone anymore.

Shoot, they may not even understand you. I got home from work a while back, and a small crew was finishing a multi-tree removal across the street. A young yay-hoo was abusing an obviously dull supposedly new MS 360, and I walked up to ask if I could cut up some of the wood. It took quite a while to get the Hispanic foreman to understand that yes, I have my own saw, and that I merely wished to cut up some of the limbs for firewood. He said OK, and I brought out the 044 and quickly lopped up a bunch of 12-15"+ red elm, which is actually a very nice mid-cold weather firewood. I did not try to explain to the yay-hoo how to avoid binding up the 360, I didn't want to waste the daylight, and I could sense the advice would not have been welcome.

The heat from the wood will sure be welcome next winter............

Damn teacherman I think I was dealing with the same crew, but they must have replaced there 360 with a 210.:dizzy: :dizzy: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

Have you ever been going down the street and saw a crew removing a tree and stopped and showed them a real saw and cut with them?? well i almost did that today but i didn't have my 066 on me at the time.. would you guys have stopped and sawed??

You might just get this type of response:

Chainsaw-Warning.jpg

I saw a crew working across from my place awhile back.

Stopped and talked to the climber as he was leaning against his truck taking a break.

Noticed he had a gibbs on his lanyard as an adjuster. I use tress cords and micro grabs.

I said " What do you think of the gibbs as a lanyard adjuster. "

He said " I wouldn't use one , I never use all that new fangled stuff. "

And he had on on his belt.

Everyone on a tree crew isn't a treeman.

My groundie and I were up in Thompson [high paid nickel mining town] last summer doing removals and my customers neighbor from across the street brings out a brand new 660 and proceeds to buck a big poplar I was blocking up with my 372. He is in blue jeans and cowboy boots . I stop him and say to him in a normal quiet tone [don't want the customer to hear any unprofessionalism] "where in the f**k is your safety equipment?" He looks even more surprised and leaves after I says "Get the f**k out of here before I ram that 660 up your azz."
Best one was the customer's good lookin wife and daughter were sitting in lawn chairs watching us work. Yeah I was show boating a little bit. The customer [he was in his late 40s] couldn't stand it any more, and brings out an old clean looking Mac . He gets it started but couldn't keep it running. I said to him "Old gas eh?" He disappears and his wife ends up giving me the check when we finish.
:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Have you ever been going down the street and saw a crew removing a tree and stopped and showed them a real saw and cut with them?? well i almost did that today but i didn't have my 066 on me at the time.. would you guys have stopped and sawed??

We get a lot of that in my full-time job. A lot of people feel like they know how to get someone out of a wrecked car better than the crew members on scene. Or on my side of the house, they don't like my technique, or my employer and feel it necessary to mention that they work for someone else and the way they do it is better.

Basically, if you want to work for a tree service, go work for one. A lot of them are hiring all the time, especially the line clearance ones that have year round work that need young people to work their way up...

NAAAA, I would duck down and speed up. It would probably be my father in law, and he could ruin your day if he gets a hold of you.

The last thing I want to do is get in the midst of a crew (of any trade) I didn't hire. I might stop and check them out, if they have the road blocked anyway, but most of the time I let worker bees buzz on and stay out of the way.

*I'm an "inspector" in my day job, and I get inspected too... so I am used to the drill. Armchair commandos would bug me out though.

On another "Have you ever???" angle... Have you ever came upon a tree-blocked roadway... and got szit for help clearing it? I have, and it is annoying as can be. Nobody started honking their horn, or Jason might have took over. :chainsaw: and that is bad PR. I got some waves, but no help... I just wanted to get home too :confused:

I think this thread is hilarious. But, I have been asked to cut a lil. Some people around here know I have a affinity for saws and will call me up and ask if I want to come over and watch some tree guys work. Or, I have 2 companies I recommend to people when they ask me who should they get to do tree work. I climbed and cut trees for several years, but now have a desk job and dont do tree work for pay. I let the pros or at least people in the buisness make the bucks they need. I have been asked by 3 people to come back after the "pros" left to either clean up something left behind, or take down the stump. I have also been asked by a company twice that I recommended to bring over my "big saw" and knock the rest of the stump down. The guys are real nice and will drop me off a load of wood or two for helping them out. I think the biggest saw they have, or at least keep running is a 372. 99% of the work they do is out of the bucket or off a line and they dont need a bigger saw.

And theres no way in hell I'd work 8 hours humpin trees ever again. I do like to pull a club out and make some chips for fun, but after an hour or two I am ready for a beer and the hot tub.

Back