Have you noticed more wood heating?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
With this years heating costs, I've been listening to co-workers, friends and relatives talk about alternatives. I haven't heard anyone discuss switching to wood heat or even supplementing with it. There is a lot of talk about corn burners however. I am a bit surprised because the rural area I live in has a lot of dead firewood trees and most farmers are happy to have someone clean them up. This is my small, local observations; I was wondering what other parts of the country are seeing. Is there an increase in wood stoves or chainsaws sold?

There was a story in the paper that a lot of people are buying woodstoves or pellet stoves in various parts of the country. And that woodstove manufacturers are having a hard time keeping up with the orders.

Of course if they are buying them "right now", I would guess there would be a delay to have them installed, inspected, etc. Then after this is done, they would buy their wood and pellets.

Around here, a lot of people already have fireplaces or wood stoves. I've noticed that some of my neighbors who have not been using their fireplaces much the past several years, have been using them quite a bit this year.

Count Me In

I bought a wood stove about two months ago for supplemental heat. Most of the "full timers" up here use wood for their primary heat source. I just fired up my stove for the first time a couple of evenings ago...NICE!

My plan is to run the furnace for a few minutes first thing in the morning to take the chill off while the stove heats up and to warm up our bedroom before bedtime. I'm still experimenting with different ways to get the heat from the wood stove to the far end of the house.

We bought our house last March and it already had about one cord of good wood, mostly oak and some pine. I can get a full cord of mixed hardwoods (delivered) for $269.

Steve

Due to the gas prices, I no longer just 'cruise' looking at the country. Haven't noticed any new installations in my local area. I have noticed a lot more ads for stoves and articles associated with them. Also getting a few people stopping and asking if I sell wood after they eyeball by stockpile (about 30 cord).

Harry K

around here, being northwestern wi, I have noticed a lot of people heating with the outdoor wood boilers. Maybe since I have one I just look harder to see them, but you don't have to drive far to see them around here. Lots of people saving money not buying propane

I have noticed with some surprise how many wood stoves are for sale on ebay. You would think they would want to keep them.

I don't notice that many large wood piles in my area; There are a number of small wood piles That I'm guessing are for fireplaces or wood stove that supplements. Most of the piles have been there a while, no new ones. I heat my home and shop with wood and go through 10+ cords a year. I enjoy cutting and burning wood. If I didn't like doing it I guess I'd be heating with something esle as well. I know of a few people installing corn burning stoves. It would be pretty cheap at less than $2.00 a bushel

YES! Firewood is up 60% in price and there is not the supply that is needed. Prices are between $320 - $360 for mixed soft/hard wood. People love to heat there house with firewood. There is no better heat source in my opinion. Pellet stoves are also a HOT item now as well. Pellets sell for about $180 a ton.

$269/ cord?

At $269/cord you're saving money on heating bills? What are some of the firewood prices around the country now? Here in the inland PNW we pretty much have crappy wood to burn compared to hardwood elswhere.

$100-125/cord Tamarack or Red Fir
$75-80/cord Birch
These are long log truck load prices delivered.

Cut split and delivered mixed hardwood...Oak, maple, locust, some cherry, and ash is around 260-350 depending if it is seasoned or not.

Firewood Prices

Here are some advertised prices in my area:
Big Bear Lake, CA

AVOCADO $190
CITRUS $220

Seasoned and Split
Oak - $289. Cord
Avocado - $175. Cord
Eucalyptus - $225. Cord
Price Includes Delivery

Eucalyptus $95/.5 cord
pine $55/.5 cord
Mix Hardwood $80/.5 cord
Ash $90/.5 cord
Walnut $125/.5 cord
You pick-up

Yeah, around here $160/cord for cut and split UN SEASONED fir or pine isn't unreasonable. People don't even blink when I tell them there's a $40 delivery fee unless they're reallll close.

I just saw on the news last night where the state is paying people $2500 to switch they wood stoves over to porpane or oil. They're trying to cut down on pollution!

Around here, if someone is to buy wood, they'll pay $125 at least, but not much more than $175, and that's for mixed fir, cedar and alder.

Jeff

Moe
What part of MN you from, if I may ask?
I just got off the phone with my Dad, as I'm from the Crow river area, he just bought a Kabota "handiest thing since fingers" he says! And will sell firewood, elm , ash , maple and some oak for around the $200+ per cord range. We have a couple cousins that both have just put in outside boilers this year and are happy with there performance!
I'm in the west Denver metro area and can sell all the Douglas fir and Ponderosa pine I want for $190 a true cord and can add $50 to deliver. Some have just put in wood stoves, but most are reactivating back-up heaters.
If you do the math, gas and propane are still cheep compared to firewood, (per therm) if you buying the wood, but most just love the radiant heat. One of my customers said he would way rather buy some firewood then give the "blood-suckers" a dime!

Its going for 165 to 205 cut ,split,delivered.The stove shops in my region are quite busy for any and all stoves.For my log length wood for my own use,I had to make lots of calls and finally found a company called Great Woods out of Pomfret Conn.And it was great wood too.

I live in stearns county, about 10-15 miles from the north or middle fork of the crow.

wood pellet shortage

i use a pellet stove. cannot use a wood stove cause my wife has asthma. apparently there is a shortage of pellets related to the increase in pellet stove sales. about 6 weeks ago i had to search hi and lo to find pellets. for the brand i like, last year was $180/ton, last month i paid 220/ton and was lucky to find them.
seems alot people bought pellet stoves in my area at least, and cannot get pellets to use them.

I'm still experimenting with different ways to get the heat from the wood stove to the far end of the house.
try cracking a window slightly open at the far end of the house to create a draft.

I have a 6 cord rolloff bin along the road. I cut, split and load it with green and got 1500$ delivered for Maple Cherry and Ash
Everybody wants wood, so now I'm getting smart and loading the bin with blocks and I'll see if I can get the same price.
John
fw3.jpg

Back