Haven't seen this in a while

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
The bottom of my firebox. I've been burning 24-7 since before Thanksgiving. The last couple days were a bit warmer, so I let it go out while I was at work yesterday.

103_3840 (Medium).JPG

Got it cleaned out, did a quick chimney check (cleaning not needed - looks about as good as it did at first fire this year), cleaned the door glass,

103_3841 (Medium).JPG

and 15 minutes later had fire again.

103_3844 (Medium).JPG

Who knows when this will happen again. Normal SOP is to scoop dead ashes out of the front few inches, rake coals forward, and refill.

Great photos. I know what you mean about not seeing the firebox during burning season. In phot #1, is one of the bricks starting to crumble?

My firebox when ice-cold overnight last night.
Warmed up into the 30's here yesterday with a bunch of blue sky and sun. When I got home last night it was 75° in the house and the wife hadn't put any wood in the box all day... I stirred up the few coals and called it good enough. This mornin' it was dead... ice-cold dead... first time in two months. I spent a few minutes checkin' things over and getting every last bit of ash to fall through the grate into the ash pan before firing it back up.

Lookin' at the forecast, likely the last chance for a while... teens tonight, single digits tomorrow night, and that below zero crap starting all over again on Sunday. Ya-friggin'-hoo‼

Great photos. I know what you mean about not seeing the firebox during burning season. In phot #1, is one of the bricks starting to crumble?

Just looks that way in the pic. The side bricks are coarser than the base/back bricks, and the "open" texture picks up ash/smoke stains/etc more. They're solid yet.

I hear ya Spidey, headed out to the wood stacks now to haul another load in before it drops some more snow on top of em.

Very nice !! Did the same thing yesterday . Guess we have to take our opportunities when we get em !!

I have my chance right now. No fire in the stove and I need to clean out ashes and clean the glass. Haven't had a chance in quite a while and it is going to turn cold again tonight and stay that way for the next few days.

Nosmo:)

They say it will be 51 on the Solstice and 68 on Sunday, so I'll be seeing mine this weekend. Probably be running the small stove.

VC.jpg
Good looking furnace there Steve.
I did the same thing today as it finally hit 30F. Installed a new Condar catalytic combuster too. She's throwing some additional heat now. Definite difference with a new cat.

I switched to burning strait cedar that's been sitting there taking up space.. Gotta make room for some more Ohio hardwoods for next winter:chainsaw::D

Latest posts

Back