Hawthorne Trimming!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skywalker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This lady just asked me to magically save her hawthorne tree. It is really thick with new growth and old, and it has a lot of moss on it. Any tips for trimming this kind of tree? I've only ever dealt with one. Thanks.

Most of all try not to get stabbed by the barbs.........it does hurt/ache for a few days even from a small poke(my experience)
I have only trimmed a couple and treated them like a regular decid.

I too can attest that they hurt for days! I got hit by an old one when I worked for the phone company. Ouch.

I have no advise other than to destroy the terrible trees. But, that' s just my opinion.

:greenchainsaw:

Thin it, shape it,try to get some of the newer growth to replace te old if you want it to come back strong, fast.

This lady just asked me to magically save her hawthorne tree. It is really thick with new growth and old, and it has a lot of moss on it. Any tips for trimming this kind of tree? I've only ever dealt with one. Thanks.

Cut it down and burn it. I've trimmed/removed a few and it was nothing but a bad memory.

work the outside and shape it to your satisfaction. then do some LIGHT trimming to the interior. hawthornes like to be real thick and get leggy when over thinned. I usually remove some bigger suckers and that thins them adequately. give us some pics when you're done.

kevin

Rid the thorns

Do yourself a favor and cut any thorns out as you go... I am sure they provide little aesthetic appeal to the client...It will be a life saver next time you prune the damn thing. Also be careful if oyu get stuck (which you undoubtably will) make sure you cleant he wound, they have been known to get infected very easily.

Do yourself a favor and cut any thorns out as you go... I am sure they provide little aesthetic appeal to the client...It will be a life saver next time you prune the damn thing. Also be careful if oyu get stuck (which you undoubtably will) make sure you cleant he wound, they have been known to get infected very easily.

I respectfully disagree. Be careful, but leave the thorns. If i hired someone to trim my hawthorne and they did this, i would assume that they were not knowledgeable in tree care (not to mentioned pissed off).

I respectfully disagree. Be careful, but leave the thorns. If i hired someone to trim my hawthorne and they did this, i would assume that they were not knowledgeable in tree care (not to mentioned pissed off).

Huh?.......I hate working for people like you......

I wouldn't dream of removing the thorns without first talking it over with the owner. I believe the thorns are a very attractive feature of the Hawthorne tree.

We have transplanted a couple of small Hawthornes to our flower garden in the past week and have quite a few large one out in the woods. They make nice yard trees.

Seem to be tough as nails.......I have never seen a dead one.

i do agree that it probably wouldn't harm the tree. technically, it would have potentially hundreds of unnecessary wounds, but would probably be fine. also, it would be necessary to use hand pruners to do a minimum of damage and that would not only take more time, but would create additional exposure to the thorns. have you actually done this, or is it something you think would be appropriate? i'm not trying to stir the pot here, but it seems silly to me. i have gotten my fair share of hawthorne pokes in my day, one in particular sent me to urgent care. another took three years to dissolve completely in my skin, so i see the motivation. it just seems like a bit over doing it. how is it different from spiking a tree? in both cases you have unnecessary wounding of the tree. please don't respond in anger, cause i'm not trying to be provocative.

respectfully,
kevin

i do agree that it probably wouldn't harm the tree. technically, it would have potentially hundreds of unnecessary wounds, but would probably be fine. also, it would be necessary to use hand pruners to do a minimum of damage and that would not only take more time, but would create additional exposure to the thorns. have you actually done this, or is it something you think would be appropriate? i'm not trying to stir the pot here, but it seems silly to me. i have gotten my fair share of hawthorne pokes in my day, one in particular sent me to urgent care. another took three years to dissolve completely in my skin, so i see the motivation. it just seems like a bit over doing it. how is it different from spiking a tree? in both cases you have unnecessary wounding of the tree. please don't respond in anger, cause i'm not trying to be provocative.

respectfully,
kevin

I have never bothered to remove any thorns(save a few times I snapped off a few that threatened to stab me) I DO know I will charge almost DOUBLE for a Hawthorne versus a "normal" decid. These trees have put the hurt on me and I would rather not climb one ever again.

I have never bothered to remove any thorns(save a few times I snapped off a few that threatened to stab me) I DO know I will charge almost DOUBLE for a Hawthorne versus a "normal" decid. These trees have put the hurt on me and I would rather not climb one ever again.

whenever possible, i use a step ladder and a pole pruner to do the whole tree. occasionally it is necessary to hop up inside to make a handsaw cut, but your exposure is limited to that one cut and not the whole trim. also remember, they LOVE to be thick and don't require a lot of interior pruning. a fact that i am quick to point out to customers. most of the ones i work on are foundation trees that are near houses, so shaping and appropriate crown reduction are the emphasis.

Not sure what was meant by "thorns", but I don't have the time to even think about cutting the thorns off.

If anything, I prune for access if I need room to get my body on the inside.

Did 2 of them in NE Portland while up there house-hunting a couple of weeks back, but they only needed pruning in the bottom.

If I'm inside the canopy of Hawthorns, I generally wear HEARING protection - usually foam earplugs. Almost had a thorn go into my ear opening once when I moved my head.

Lavelle hawthorn is a bit different.

Latest posts

Back