Hawthorne Trimming!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what was meant by "thorns", but I don't have the time to even think about cutting the thorns off.

If anything, I prune for access if I need room to get my body on the inside.

Did 2 of them in NE Portland while up there house-hunting a couple of weeks back, but they only needed pruning in the bottom.

If I'm inside the canopy of Hawthorns, I generally wear HEARING protection - usually foam earplugs. Almost had a thorn go into my ear opening once when I moved my head.

Lavelle hawthorn is a bit different.

Very nice pics Vaden !...............I'm down here in Eugene.

Thorn Removal

I have removed thorns as I go before. Not every one by any means, but just ones that are in your way. Typically on these trees we have a long standing client relationship and an understanding of whats being done. The client understands its for the benefit of the employee. Also these trees are usually pruned every year, so it make a difference if you take out the thorns the year before. Also, I find it hard to believe anyone can make all proper cuts when using a pole clip...can you say dogears galore...Dont get me worn gI use them from time to time as well, but avoid at all costs..

I wouldn't dream of removing the thorns without first talking it over with the owner. I believe the thorns are a very attractive feature of the Hawthorne tree.

We have transplanted a couple of small Hawthornes to our flower garden in the past week and have quite a few large one out in the woods. They make nice yard trees.

Aww ,see? That's nice.
What a coincidence, I am just about to transplant my 2 which I have been raising since babies. One had a fungus a few years ago which I kilt with hydrogen peroxide spray. I am going to put one out by the Kousa and the cutleaf.
Not on topic but I was doing some deadwood work to the big walnuts and dropped a stub on one on the Katalpas, really F'ed it up. Also my apricot is doing better but I still had to stake it.

Last edited:
I have removed thorns as I go before. Not every one by any means, but just ones that are in your way. Typically on these trees we have a long standing client relationship and an understanding of whats being done. The client understands its for the benefit of the employee. Also these trees are usually pruned every year, so it make a difference if you take out the thorns the year before. Also, I find it hard to believe anyone can make all proper cuts when using a pole clip...can you say dogears galore...Dont get me worn gI use them from time to time as well, but avoid at all costs..

i can do a pretty good job with a pruner. you can usually get a good angle from one direction or another. if i can't then i'll hop up there. i've been known to "look the other direction" from time to time when it comes to a dog ear that isn't very noticeable. after all, we live in an imperfect world.:)
as a last resort of course.

i can do a pretty good job with a pruner. you can usually get a good angle from one direction or another. if i can't then i'll hop up there. i've been known to "look the other direction" from time to time when it comes to a dog ear that isn't very noticeable. after all, we live in an imperfect world.:)
as a last resort of course.

You can cut off the thorns and use them with a straw to piss off the bigger guys.

Latest posts

Back