Hawthorne

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob,

Are you sure it is hawthorn? The hawthorn I am familiar with is more of an ornamental shrub/tree and a member of the rose family with thorns and numerous branches. Same stuff the tanks and troops fought their way through in the French countryside in WW2.

I suspect it will burn well, but it makes even better hammer, hatchet and axe handles, or if large enough, fence posts.

Gary

Last edited:
bcorradi....thanks for the link. Good information there.

Guido....I'm pretty sure it's hawthorne. The retired director of the county ag commission is my neighbor and he labled it. And, the absolute guarantee...a real live consulting arborist told me the same thing. The arborists always feel good when they can tell a logger something he doesn't know. And I didn't know, either.

The trees are too big to be called shrubs anymore. There's a bunch of them at an old gold mine site that I've been cutting on. They're scattered around an area that once was about 15 acres of non-native landscaping surrounding the owner's mansion.

LOL...they might be classified as old growth, they were probably planted back in the early 1850s. They're just yanking them out to make way for native species replant and the arborist suggested I take some home and try it for firewood.

Thorny suckers...my hands look like pincushions even though I had good gloves on.

I've burned a bit. We felled a bunch on a lot clearing job once, about 12-14" at the base and topping out at 60' tall. Once it was dry it made a good fire.

Nasty stuff to work with, hard to feed through a chipper because it's so dense and interwoven. Add in the thorns poking you everywhere and cutting you to shreds and lets just say burning was too good for it. lol

As mentioned it makes good tool handles, really tough and relatively light weight.

Mr. HE:cool:

I've burned a bit. We felled a bunch on a lot clearing job once, about 12-14" at the base and topping out at 60' tall. Once it was dry it made a good fire.

Nasty stuff to work with, hard to feed through a chipper because it's so dense and interwoven. Add in the thorns poking you everywhere and cutting you to shreds and lets just say burning was too good for it. lol

As mentioned it makes good tool handles, really tough and relatively light weight.

Mr. HE:cool:

I have some cedar logs to hand split for a rail fence...maybe I'll make some rail wedges out of the hawthorne and see how it works.

Ya gots ta watch out getting poked by those thorns. My buddy was hunting and put his hand down on the ground with all his weight on it.... right on top of one of those thorns. A week later he had to get his hand drained and thorn removed. I myself got stuck fairly deep in the elbow cutting wood. I didn't know it at the time, but a small piece of the thorn broke off under the skin. Week or so later my elbow nearly locked up. Went to the Doc and he pulled the thorn piece out with a needle.

I swear those things are tipped with some kind of poison. They are NASTY.

Yes sir those thorns love to break off in you! I had to carve myself up pretty good to get them out last time, mostly because I was careless cutting and dragging that stuff in NSJ. My friend who owns the property has performed the swell up-go see the doctor routine a few times. I was probably dealing with smaller stuff than you've got, but it burned very well.

burn quite a lot of it here in the UK, if you dry it out well, its one of the best burning woods you can get, only problem is getting enough of it, I can literally get my whole stove glowing orange when its on so i tend to mix it with whatever else is on the wood pile!!

Yes sir those thorns love to break off in you! I had to carve myself up pretty good to get them out last time, mostly because I was careless cutting and dragging that stuff in NSJ. My friend who owns the property has performed the swell up-go see the doctor routine a few times. I was probably dealing with smaller stuff than you've got, but it burned very well.

Yeah, it's nasty stuff. I wound up with a couple of minor infections but mostly it just poked right through a brand new pair of White Ox. The Hawthorne I cut was planted all around the NorthStar Mine House and they're trying to get rid of it. I cut some of the bigger stuff and suggested they burn the rest of it.

Far as firewood, in my experience it ranks right up there with madrone. If it's sizable enough to deal with and I feel like losing the amount of blood it will take to process it up.

Owl

Back