Hay elevator converted to firewood conveyor - video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks cool. Like to see a vid with mass production loading the truck.

Only automated mass production I ever did was me, chainsaw (husky rancher, I was sorta undersawed or that work, but what I had), big pile of already cut logs (mixed red oak and sweetgum), a big michigan loader, and an f450 flatbed dump with some shortie wood sides. Cut, roll rounds right into bucket (BIG bucket*), bucket full dump in truck. Truck held two buckets worth. And I was dang lucky I didnt smash anything, bucket wider than truck bed....Drive one mile, dump next to hydraulic splitter, lay on. did two cords in one day. Girl friend helped stack a little at the end. Thats my all time record, did that like..hmm..six years ago? Something like that. Now I just go a lot slower, tractor and tote box or trailer, cut, load, bring home, roll em out, later on hand split and stack at my leisure.

**That was scary, I hated it. 1st time ever operating a big dedicated loader, huge machine, no brakes, had to roll in, start dumping as I got close, wham bam shift into reverse before smashing into truck....I did it, never asked to borrow that thing again...

I used to work for a tree service and we did a similar project. If you ran the motor over an idle
it would bust the chain,let it idle it would move wood but stall the motor before it busted anything. I got
really good at fixing chain......at least until we figured it out

Why convert?

Why go through all the trouble? Just use a grain elevator but be careful not to bend the grain paddles.

Could not find one locally. Not as common in NH as other areas of the country. I would have preferred the dual chain style with the flappers, much nicer.
Also this one did not have a base or legs so had to make them from scratch.

Very resourceful use of old machinery and nice fabrication work.

I fabricated one from scratch for a friend pretty similar to what you ended up with. I was surprised to find the old link chain was still available in many styles.

JT

Elevators haven't changed much in the last 40 years. I use a grain style one for my firewood. I also have a skeleton one about the same as what you started out with but haven't did anything with it yet. The plan is to mount it onto my splitter for use in the bush or at the landing spot at least. Try to keep some of the mess away from home.

I use a paint brush and old engine oil for my chains. I just dunk it into the oil and hold it to the running chain. It sounds like it could use a little care. :D

Otherwise great build!:msp_thumbsup:

I use a paint brush and old engine oil for my chains. I just dunk it into the oil and hold it to the running chain. It sounds like it could use a little care. :D

Otherwise great build!:msp_thumbsup:

I like that idea. I used a half a bottle of silicone lube on it when I first ran it but I am sure that has worn off/dried out.

Back