Hazard Tree Mitigation: Safely/ Efficiently / Effectively / Without Fear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viable option in your system for hazard tree abatement

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Treepedo

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
SAFELY EFFECIENTLY EFFECTIVELY WITHOUT FEAR
Why are you here?
Because you are serious about learning more and there are questions in need of answers.
The TRUTH’s 1. DEATH and serious injury is a reality in our industry.
2. The WISE Investigate, gather data and experiment before concluding.
3. CONSULTATION with experts in Engineering, Bio-mechanics, Physicists, Plant scientists is crucial for full comprehension in a subject that involves tree workers lives.
4. Time is limited. Decay progresses thus increasing to hazard potential
5. Time is valuable.
6. Flexibility does not ensure strength. Wet wood versus Dry(er) wood.
7. Wood will gain strength as it dries.
8. The strength of wood can be compromised when it dries too quickly.
9. Decay organisms are affected by moisture. Decay Organisms dormancy/vigor is reduced with a decrease in moisture.
10. Trees/limbs are material conducting living levers. Greater moisture/weight at the levers end of hazard tree/limb can increase hazard potential of said limb
11. Water in a trees system can be reduced with the strategic removal of water conducting Xylem
The Problem(s)As a trainer and Arborist, I have learned about one problem that every single serious Arborist faces and this problem will definitively help you, or break you from accomplishing your goals!
Our problem is to confidently know what a given tree or limb is capable of supporting.
Supporting the working weight of the climber including the working weight of the rigging.

What can a limb support? Green versus dry(er).
A new technique that when strategically applied can accomplish both Weight reduction and a net gain in structural strength.

We are trying to solve a problem for all climbing arborists! The problem is with knowing what to expect from trees. We can put a man on the moon yet the life of arborists is consistently being sacrificed.
Specifically with hazardous trees and the forces we apply to them.

Example:A highly Skilled, Knowledgeable and Athletic Arborist is in charge of the removal or dismantling of parts or of the whole tree.

In the process of dismantling a tree with incorporation and application of all the most up to date equipment and practices present today, the tree fails at or below the rigging point and the climber is seriously wounded or KIA.
It has happened and continues to happen.

Please, thoughtfully consider your system. Now step back in time and consider situations where you or a colleague has been injured or killed. Now imagine the same scenario with an increase in structural strength and loss of weight from a compliment technique added to the system.
Preventable?

I really look forward to your feedback, and guess what! It matters.

The Technique
Stem trace or Girdle limbs, leaders or root flare to a few mm beyond the cambium. Removal of atleast a few rings for efficacy.
Depending on species up to 20 rings will translocate H20. The more effecient rings closest to the cambium and less so progressing further into the heart wood.
Girdling technique creates a gap for the movement of H2O thus reducing the water weight of the tree/limb.

Green log weight and dead wood weight differs enough to warrant the effort?
Less load on rigging gear, crane, ropes, rigging or tie in point etc.
Any unanticipated draw back to this practice?
Flexibility and strength? Dry(er) adds strength?
Is this a viable option for future consideration?
Should this be researched?

Thanks for checking it out and all and any comment are most welcome!:monkey:

How long do you propose to girdle the tree before the removal?? It can take years for wood to loose enough water to make sizable weight difference. :popcorn:

How long do you propose to girdle the tree before the removal?? It can take years for wood to loose enough water to make sizable weight difference. :popcorn:

To be honest, I am not an expert at this. My practice and research with this regards has been in the last few yrs with only one major removal under my belt and many small to medium girdles( mostly A. platanoides and Rhamnus spcs.

There are few studies complementing this technique.

Forestry services have provided some info/research with regards to wood strength.
Here is link Wood Beams Strength
there is alot of good info.
It will depend alot on species, season and environment.
3 to 5 weeks potentially if it is in full leaf in mid season.
Droughted tree does not take long to wilt or scorch in a poor soil.

I cannot remember the last time I was so concerned about weight loads on a rig-point that I would need to do this.

I might consider it if the tree will be removed in spring and I do not want it to leaf out, I've heard of companies doing it, and have had a few H/O's do it prior to getting bids. That can make problems....

I don't really see the point. The last thing I would want to do is girdle a tree like you said and walk away for any period of time just to save some water weight or change the dynamics of the wood. I've really only seen that done by lazy row contractors that have gone before me, and left me to deal with the mess in their wake.

I think I would file this under the "just because you can do this, doesn't mean you should" category, especially with regards to residential/commercial arboriculture. I wouldn't want to start any trends like this for hacks or homeowners to follow suit. It's often monkey see monkey do for them without understanding all that is involved. If they get this idea that this is what you do with a dying/hazard tree, can you fathom the potential backlash when they start in on hollow, compromised, or hazard trees?

If I start cutting on a tree, I'm going to finish the job asap, and it's either going to be an improvement because I've enhanced the tree or because I've removed it. I'm not interested in any number of local HO's seeing me girdle a tree so they can carry on down at the coffee shop how I'm about town killing trees and leaving them to stand.

Bad imaging. Not to mention, if and when they fail, who do you think gets the credit? Yep, you guessed it. Right or wrong...doesn't matter.

Furthermore, I can't think of a single hazard tree I've ever faced that I would girdle and walk away from. "There, that should do it for now!" Umm..let me think...no.

Accidents and fatalities in Arboriculture are a reality, but it is not because the industry isn't light years ahead of your solution. They are. These things happen almost always when the victim is either altogether ignorant of guidelines, chooses to ignore them, or perchance tries something "new" based on a handful of semi related bits of info without understanding the bigger picture.

If a tree isn't safe to climb, I'm not going to girdle it, and then have some half notion it's all together better sometime later.

I recommend junking the whole idea and honing the fundamentals. Teach those and you will make the impact you want with safety and will never want to rewind in order to girdle a tree. I’d say 100% of all arboriculture related accidents are avoidable without such a practice, and who knows how many you'd create by doing this.

No offense though, I think you mean well. :cheers:

Great points.
Ths far thanks for replying.

Is there such a thing or a rule of thumb that gives estimates for what a green limb or leader will support.
A stem diameter to maximum weight load?

Back