Doin'Good; Putting a lil'out on the Side!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTreeSpyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Putting out a'lil on the side takes so much directive force from the nature-all calling of a given path as to totally change things. It is more than just changing recipients of the load, there is truly power lost, at the changing of the path, this always drains on the total force available to deliver to any other recipient, albeit and that deliverance of reduced force from the other pulls, is many times, also indirect.

Sometimes this can be a good thing, at least in tree werk! In the tree i can cut downward on a branch with an 009 up to a relative size and leveraged load without undercutting, it doesn't rip, fall back etc. the saw just cuts fast enough to completely release all at once cleanly. A lil bigger branch, can't do it, the branch will swing under, rip etc. So take a faster cutting 020, and take command again, till a certain size rating i can now cut bigger stuff straight down and it will let go cleanly. But everything to it's own scale, another inch or so diameter etc. and same problem.

Here i might come across and down at angle. For the most pull from gravity will be straight down, anything to the side, is less direct, so now i can now cut something a lil bigger feeding across with saw and not get rip or swing back under, just clean break straight down drop all at once.

In bucking your wood, once it is laid, if both ends of the log is supported the compression is at the top middle. We can cut downward, drive wedge behind; maybe offer close support to base of cut (less room to sink for log, less pressure); or we might knotch the top and cut up into it allowing the force to fold up (Or good time to plunge in behind hinge and cut down travelinig away from hinge. Better than that, we can facecut up and to the side (like from 11 to 3 o'clock) and cut up into that. The pinch won't be so bad as facecutting towads sky, for now gravity can't pull directly at the hinge, once again dissipating that pull by altering the direction helps, sometimes greatly here especially! Mr. Dent in "Proffessional Timber Falling- a Procedural Approach" also diagarams the very helpful tapered hinge in bucking too, so i stir it in, thick at tops side, then if i kerf 1 face of the hinge (as to produce a small fellar's swing dutchman)it will be logically the down side, where the most pinch is. The same models work here as for felling, plotting strategies from the direction of fold, and how gravity pulls, many times just slanting the same diagram sideways from felling to bucking. Took me years top realize that was what Dent was doing between the felling and bucking chapters; the dang diagrams not onlyu looked similar, they were similar jsut rotated around. Slow learner!

If we drop a tree into the axis of the lean(saying axis means that it applies pulling from front to back on same 'axis' line too, covering that contingency), we maximize the amount of pull gravity has on the tree, feeding delivery to points less on the line of lean axis, dispenses nicely with some of the tree's force by consuming it in changing direction. This is seperate from the consumption of force by using the passive/reflective adjustments of a step dutchman punching one side of the falling spar upward (as well as over) or the passive pull backwards of tapered hinge adjustments etc. So as well as changing direction, these strategies of changing direction can give various strategies/ assemblies of exhausiting some of the immense forces inherent in felling, another definite plus; dynamically giving more choices for felling in it's own. Also, if you can get an actual fair slanted angle of fall on to flat or tilted away ground etc. the left over reduced force is also indirect when it arrives etc.

Sometimes i can come down as a slant on a branch of fair length, the folding force is folded to the side reducing downward pull, and addition-ally the fibers in the hinge are tourqued differently to support better, and the limb will point at the ground at end and not bind saw with the wood compression with this technique; then i just 'bone the fish' down to it's spine free falling light stuff that is lower, less leveraged, and soft shock absorbing end down. Sometimes just bending over some limbs towards ground on a branch reduces the leveraged load on the main branch, so that when it is hinged the hinge holds on longer from the reduced leverge but not wreduced weight of the bent over limb(s) on the branch as a companion technique.

Puttin'out on the side in rigging, folding a limb sideways into line rather than down, especially smoothly and purposefully doesn't pull down on the system as much; the hinge holds it up some (if still connected); and the direction of the force is across and not down, much less likely to drop low, high wide sweeps. Because direction is such an important part of force, in fact the first part of force; is where it goes- it costs more to change direction with more force! The faster the across movement from a given force,then the less of that force is leftover to move down into gravity, so sweeping across purposefully and smoothly on hinge to rig can offer much clearnance.

Even when cutting bigger pieces that do not visibly go to the side, but in the last releases you kinda angle \the saw and give a tug to the side, i think i see like a disturbance of the internal inertia(? - ooops here we go again!!); whereby the force is less directed, less focused. Like a martial arts personna would not be jsut satisfied with power, but applying focused power; not just to a specific point. But a deeply aimed, laser targeted - everything in line, streaming clean on thru with power directly- ; not a distracted flow, then compounding that stupidity with an inderect hit. Bean one of peace, i seek the soft hit,especially from the Giant (if i know Jack); unless in felling i need that force to punch through other branches, thrw purposely on a dutchman (maximum force in for maximum correction out-reflective/passive force) etc. Otherwise i go to control, soften force; for the utility and also the exercise. For felling hard is a lot easier, yet a lot more unnecessary; so i find time to stretch to the harderside by seeking softer felling, evenif not required, just to exercise skills for when i need them and understanding the mechanichs by working them too at the same time.

So, just like a big-bouncer using force to maximum one way, i use the same science the other way; puttin' out on the side can be a good thing, in the write way and reason, not T-reason!

Or womething like that!
:alien:

Back