Hazel nut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEK VT

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have some hazel nut trees ...(very young but producing) on my land.. due to a driveway I need to move em. whats the best advice for moving them.. I live as far north in vt as you can go without being in canada.. so this move won't be takeing place for a while due to tons a snow.. I just wanted to see what people said.

wait until winter when they are in a dormant state, dig them up as carefully as possible retaining as much of the root structure as possible, and re-plant where you want... easy
(except if its frozen and snowy all winter long, then it gets more of a chore...unlucky)

hazel are amazing trees though, one of the best for coppicing, you can cut it back to a stump in autumn and it will re-shoot invigorated the next year. excellent for anually harvesting poles for fencing, hurdlemaking, firewood, and pretty much anything you could use a straight wooden pole for... a tree much relied upon by ancient man

so dont be afraid of cutting them back if it makes the digging up process any easier

nuts for all

Latest posts

Back