HDA 175 carb options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Wilkie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Husqvarna 359 that won't idle. Cuts good at full throttle but dies every time at idle. I pulled the carb and it is a Walbro HDA 175, which has been discontinued, and from what I can pick up here, replaced with a HDA 199. Without springing for a new carb, is it possible to use the soft parts from the HDA 199 on my carb?
I plan to arm myself with a mitt vac and leak test this also, while I have it on the bench. Any ideas from those experienced folks out there are welcome.

I have a Husqvarna 359 that won't idle. Cuts good at full throttle but dies every time at idle. I pulled the carb and it is a Walbro HDA 175, which has been discontinued, and from what I can pick up here, replaced with a HDA 199. Without springing for a new carb, is it possible to use the soft parts from the HDA 199 on my carb?
Only if they are identical to the originals.

I plan to arm myself with a mitt vac and leak test this also, while I have it on the bench. Any ideas from those experienced folks out there are welcome.
You might not have a carb issue. You might have an air leak which will burn up the saw. AsI recall these are notorious for leaking at the plastic cylinder carb boot clamp.

Only if they are identical to the originals.

You might not have a carb issue. You might have an air leak which will burn up the saw. AsI recall these are notorious for leaking at the plastic cylinder carb boot clamp.
I am going to check it for leaks as I am doing this. Is there a better fix for the plastic boot clamp than the OEM parts? The saw is 20 years old, and has had a bit of ethanol gas through it, I am hearing some folks say that the internals may not have been formulated right for ethanol and can lose their flexibility, so I am going to put new parts in anyway. I don't let ethanol near any of my small engines anymore.

Regardless of whether you now have an air leak or not, you should change that plastic intake clamp for a metal one such as one used on a MS290 Stihl. I think I've used the Stihl metal clamps before on my Husqvarna saws. It's an easy fix, especially if you have the cylinder off.

If you do have to replace the carb get the zama replacement as it doesn't have the compensation issues the walbro variants can suffer from. You can also remove the compensation on the walbro carbs fairly easily, treemonkey has a vid on YouTube.
If it has the auto-decomp get rid of that too as they are a ticking timebomb for leaks

Regardless of whether you now have an air leak or not, you should change that plastic intake clamp for a metal one such as one used on a MS290 Stihl. I think I've used the Stihl metal clamps before on my Husqvarna saws. It's an easy fix, especially if you have the cylinder off.
Gotcha. I think that's good advice, do it once, and do it right. I wasn't planning on taking the cylinder off, but I'm this far, so..

Latest posts

Back