He-Man has a bent rod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Flywheel side nut is righty tighty.

Clutch is righty loosey.

Put impact on to remove clutch and if the flywheel nut is snugged up poorly to the flywheel, the flywheels momentum will transfer to the nut and loosen it. When that happens the flywheel will spin on the crank sheering the key. There are some other things that can happen but the flywheel/nut situation was the most reproduceable.

Good impacts are a adjustable, as are air compressors.

I have never unintentionally broken a rod, bearing, piston, or cylinder with an impact.

I have seen a broken 084 cylinder with a rope coming out of the sparkplug hole and loooooots of bent rod and busted piston from ropes and stops. I am usually trying to buy those saws, typically they are cheaper.

Last edited:
pinemartin

pinemartin

tightwad
So anyone have an extra crank they could sell to the guy?

I looked around the shop, and didn't turn one up.

It's not charity, it's just a newbie thing. I would trust your judgement on a new member before I'd trust my own. If you offered but didn't have the parts that shows something about you wanting to help out a brand new member. Since you didn't have the parts and I do, I'll fill in for you.

ranchcutter

ranchcutter

The MS 210 is back together and running fine.

I'd like to thank Fish for pointing me to ArboristSite and encouraging me to join and contribute. Special thanks to pinemartin for the crankshaft/rod assembly that kept this saw from being a parts machine.

Also helpful were the teardown and assembly videos of an MS 250 from donyboy73 on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m22-0Vo6Ic&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyq3zybE4z0&feature=player_detailpage

After seeing the rod damage and considering all of the comments, my next clutch removal will be with a light touch of an impact wrench. I think the torque impulses are most likely to loosen the clutch (which is closest to the wrench) without damaging other parts farther down the line.

Latest posts