MS211 - two piece crankshaft?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheManOfStihl

Half man, half bear, half pig.
Reaction score
So I went to my Stihl dealer today for parts, and asked if he had any parts saws for sale, and he brought out a complete MS211. He showed me the clutch side crankshaft stub was bent. When the rope was pulled, it wobbled, a lot. He said it runs great but he can't figure out how they bent the crank, with no other damage. It was a trade in so he really didn't care either. He told me it's really just for parts, not worth it for him to install a new crankshaft.

I said how much do you need for it? He thought a minute, and said forty bucks will take her home. I did not hesitate to lay the money on the counter.

I got it home, and noticed that I could spin the stub independently from the engine. Pulling the rope also turns it, but I could hold it and pull the rope and it would stay still. I was curious, so I pried it out with two screwdrivers under the clutch. I popped that half of the crankshaft right out. I thought about it a minute, and decided there was no way this was a two piece crank. I stuck it back in, tapped it with a hammer, and seated it back in. Pull the rope and it runs true. I put a wrench on the clutch hex, and held it while trying to pull the string. It's tight! I can't rotate it anymore. So I installed the bar and chain, fired it up and made some cuts with it, works great!

My question is, this is a single piece crankshaft that was pressed together, right? This must be a crank that was a loose press fit? I just reseated it, but it's not supposed to come apart, is it? For the money, I'm very happy, but I shouldn't trust that crank not to loosen up again I imagine.

Thoughts?

I'm not for sure, but I'll bet your crank is being held together by the pto side bearing. I'd not continue to run it as is, because when it grenades it will destroy the rest of the engine. They're a pretty good running saw, probably worth putting another hunnert into.

Unlike many larger chainsaw crankshafts where the flywheel and clutch side shafts are machined as part of the counterweights, the 211 uses stub shafts that are pressed into the counterweights. It is possible that your clutch side somehow came out. However, I doubt it's going to stay in there very long if you got it to go back together with a hammer.

Thank you gentlemen.

Doug, that's what I thought, being a pressed together item. There's no real solution other than getting a new crankshaft for it, is there? Any kind of adhesive would let go due to the heat I suppose.

If you pulled it apart I imagine it might be able to be welded. Barring that I have used Loctite 620 with good success to "glue" galled crank bearing races into snowmobile crank cases.

Back