Heads up Guys about Bailey's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
To fellow users as you are aware Bailey's were recently hacked. Well it was supposedly cleared up so I order myself a chain breaker and spinner on the 23rd. Well today I placed an order with my main supplier and my card was locked out. There were several attempted charges from Hawaii which one made it through and then my self imposed credit limit kicked in stopping any further charges and the Visa flagged my card due to nature of the charges.

I have called Bailey's and reported that this has happen again. Now I got to wait on a replacement card before I can do any more ordering of parts for my business.
:(

Hows does card use in Hawaii not get flagged right off the bat.

I keep a separate credit card for online purchases. That way, if it is hacked, I can still buy gas, etc. Good way to use one of those 'free' credit card offers affiliated with stores, etc.

Philbert

That's exactly what I do. Saved my ass plenty of times

Hows does card use in Hawaii not get flagged right off the bat.
I wish knew.

The last time my card info got stolen it turned up in Florida at a Day Spa. And it got kick out over a 20 cent Itunes charge.

I keep a separate credit card for online purchases. That way, if it is hacked, I can still buy gas, etc. Good way to use one of those 'free' credit card offers affiliated with stores, etc.

Philbert
Some of us still use Federal Reverse Notes locally though I don't know how much longer they are going to be good.

Don't know, I use a regular card. I also got the security breech from Bailey's a couple months ago. In a email, It is still on Bailey's Home page.

I think you must change your pass word. as I was told!

I like the idea of a burner credit card...and I'll NEVER buy from the incompetent goons at Bailey's again.

Did you fail to run an antivirus scan and a malware scan on your machine before going to the Bailey's website and ordering?
Did you have another browser window open on a **** site while you were ordering?
Did you surf other websites and neglect to close all of your browser windows and then open a new one before you went to Bailey's?
Did you neglect to close your browser after you placed your order and then start up the browser again when you started surfing again?
Are you less than diligent at keeping your machine properly patched and updated, including the applications like Firefox and Chrome?

If you answered "yes" to any of the above questions you're as likely to be at fault here as Bailey's might have been.

i have been very good at keeping everything check every since Avast put an ransonware antivirus update on my computer last year and it took completely reformatting the hard drives to get rid of the problem. Avast wanted $300 to fix the problem they introduce.

As for list provided it is what I do when ordering. I don't open any extra tabs while ordering I know better. Its a pain but it needs doing in today's world of online threats. The only thing I haven't done is to upgrade to Win10 from Win 7 and that due current cpu limits.

And to answer was Bailey's the only place I used the card the answer is yes if you mean within the last two weeks. Personally I going to be gun shy of them for a good while. It quite embarrassing to have my Sunbelt Products order payment held up. At least is not the busy season. Just wanted try doing chains from bulk spools this Spring. Really would looked bad as I was going to open an account with Dixie Sales the first of the March but I was clearing my card to place the initial order. Well that will need to be put off for a while now until I get things straighten out again.

Having to lock down your card is a pain but it has happen to me 3 times since I got it in 1985. Just hate to give that 007 card number again.

Did you fail to run an antivirus scan and a malware scan on your machine before going to the Bailey's website and ordering?
Did you have another browser window open on a **** site while you were ordering?
Did you surf other websites and neglect to close all of your browser windows and then open a new one before you went to Bailey's?
Did you neglect to close your browser after you placed your order and then start up the browser again when you started surfing again?
Are you less than diligent at keeping your machine properly patched and updated, including the applications like Firefox and Chrome?

If you answered "yes" to any of the above questions you're as likely to be at fault here as Bailey's might have been.

Yes, I do all those things. I work for the US Navy in the cyber security profession. Of the three cards hacked, all had been used at Bailey's. Swing and a miss pal!

I always send for an extra card and don't activate it. That way if and when the card gets hacked, you just activate the card with the stickers still on it. I especially do this when I go on a vacation and when I get home I cancel any card I used while gone and just activate the new ones. Probably Isn't worth a hill of beans but at least I have a card while in a strange land if they should happen to get shut out.

I always send for an extra card and don't activate it. That way if and when the card gets hacked, you just activate the card with the stickers still on it. I especially do this when I go on a vacation and when I get home I cancel any card I used while gone and just activate the new ones. Probably Isn't worth a hill of beans but at least I have a card while in a strange land if they should happen to get shut out.
Well that fine; unless, your card provider has computer problems. My CU Visa system had a software problem last Summer that shut down every member's credit cards. It was down over a week. Especially bad time for it to happen with vacationers having their cards declined. Personally I had nearly $1000 in part orders held up.

The only way around that is hopefully is to have an alternate card provider that is still working.

My CC was stolen when HomeDepot had their big issue, and again when target had it's breach and again when walmart had theirs. One thing i learned was that if you shop online enough this crap will happen, and that if you ask for something for your inconvenience they generally give it to you. HD gave us a 250$ gift card, target gave us a 50$ card and walmart gave us a 100$ one. all we did was send an email asking for an accommodation for our troubles.

Back