Hearthstone Woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone own a Hearthstone Mansfield Woodstove? If so, how do you like it?

Any Model HEARTHSTONE

Has anyone owned a any model of Hearthstone Woodstoves?

Thanks guys! I will check it out.

I own a Hearthstone Homestead. Grey soapstone. It's done a good job heating my 1865sq.ft home. Takes a while to warm up but when it does it stays warm all night. I have it sitting in front of my old superior zero clearance fireplace. When it's dead calm out side it's a little cranky to get the draft going. Other than that, I love it. A little pricey though.

Does anyone own a Hearthstone Mansfield Woodstove? If so, how do you like it?

i have the homestead and like it. i do have a buddy who bought the mansfield after seeing mine. he did not like it at first (was use to burning with an old baker) but you couldn't offer him enough money now for it.

i have the homestead and like it. i do have a buddy who bought the mansfield after seeing mine. he did not like it at first (was use to burning with an old baker) but you couldn't offer him enough money now for it.

What specifically does he like about his and of yours?

I have a Hearthstone Heritage. The side door is real nice. You don't get that intense, fast heat like you would with iron or steel, but it stays hot a couple hours after the fire goes out. Very easy to start a fire. If you crack open the ash pan door, the draft gets it going fast. My only complaint is that sometimes you think the ash door is closed good, but its not, causing it to over fire. The latch just doesn't have a positive feel as to it being latched tight. I've always caught it before too long, but I worry if it would happen when I'm not home. It also would be nice if you could shut the airflow off more positively to control it better. Overall its a very nice stove, and its very beautiful.

I have a 1979 Hearthstone I. My neighbor has a few year old Hearthstone with a single front door (I don't know the model). We both love our stoves, but I would like to get a newer model with the tubes at the top. My stove has no problem keeping the 2400 sf between 72-80 with two loads per day when it is less than 20* out. I never have to relight it either, there's always enough hot coal to light the next load.

55CF5F31-CA9A-46E7-8BE9-A2BDDE4E60CE-11054-00000C4183988CF3.jpg

I've got a Heritage and I really like it, it's been a very good stove. I almost bought a Mansfield, should have bought a Mansfield actually, the Heritage can't quite keep up with heating load of the entire house. I've had it six years and it has needed nothing up until now, couple of the internals have warped and need to be replaced, but it has been fired hard! The soap stone provides a nice comfortable heat, but, you knew there had to one of those, they are very expensive and very heavy. Knowing what I know now, I'm not sure that I would have gone the same route. The touted performance advantages of the soap stone are way over stated, whether have the flash heat of a welded steel stove or the slow transfer of the soap stone, the net BTU's put to the living area works out to be the same. Those advantages would be realistic in masonry heater with a tremendous amount of stone mass, not so much with 1.25" soap stone tiles. I think that I would buy a cast iron stove if I had to do it all over again, Jotul probably, the welded steel stoves are just too ugly for me. They're a lot less expensive, lighter, and the performance works out to be the same when the dust settles. I do love the looks of soap stone, which is why my wife and I decided on one.

I have the Heritage and it has been great. It seems to stay warm for 2-3 hrs after the wood has burned down. I installed the chimney and stove last Decemeber and turned the oil furnace off and have not looked back. It seems that these stoves are designed to burn fairly hot and fast. The air control does not allow you to fully close down the air to get a long slow burn. I have a couple work arounds for this. I sometimes use a slate tile over the air intake to close it off more or ill load the stove and add one large green split with the dry wood. My chimney is a straight shot off the stove and up through the house and draws very well. With the stock air system closed and full load of dry wood it will burn very hot. Too hot

I have the Heritage and it has been great. It seems to stay warm for 2-3 hrs after the wood has burned down. I installed the chimney and stove last Decemeber and turned the oil furnace off and have not looked back. It seems that these stoves are designed to burn fairly hot and fast. The air control does not allow you to fully close down the air to get a long slow burn. I have a couple work arounds for this. I sometimes use a slate tile over the air intake to close it off more or ill load the stove and add one large green split with the dry wood. My chimney is a straight shot off the stove and up through the house and draws very well. With the stock air system closed and full load of dry wood it will burn very hot. Too hot
Interesting. I get a full load going and turn the air all the way down right before bed and I generally have coals enough to light the next charge of wood as long as I get to it by 7AM or so.

What specifically does he like about his and of yours?

mine sits in the living room & he liked the look and that it was not cooking us out of the room (not that it was not warm @ 70 the miss is still cold) his sits in the basement (baker & now the mansfield) with the baker you were not sticking around long & he would have to go home @ lunch to load or it would be stone cold. with the mansfield loader in the mornig come home in the eve. its still warm (10-14 hrs. some times) in the house some hot coles through in acouple splits open her up with in about 5 mins. she's going agin. some down fall is if the soap stone is stone cold (lol) it does take a couple hrs. to get the whole house back up to temp. & evern after you learn how to burn the stove you will over heat the house @ times, not as much after you learn the stove, they are heavy & cost but well worth it.
2 of the guys i work with also have the mansfield same with them.

alittle about the homes:
i have a 1600 sqft. double wide the only thing i wish i would have went a little bigger for those really cold days/nights but am making some changes to the house. if i'm not happier then i have a couple that want my stove & i will go to a bigger stove. the 1 guy @ work place 2200 sqft. double wide and heats his place vary will. my buddys place is 1400sqft. very well insulated 2 story & the other guy i work with is an old farm house not sure of sqft.

bottom line i don't think you would be upset with buying one

Interesting. I get a full load going and turn the air all the way down right before bed and I generally have coals enough to light the next charge of wood as long as I get to it by 7AM or so.

I was burning a lot of very dry standing dead wood this past winter and it really would burn hot and fast when the stove and chimney were up to temp. Once there's a good bed of coals and the chimney is hot the next load of wood really would take off. The stove is actually slightly over sized for the house unless its really cold out. When the temps drop then I can actually stand to keep it loaded and burning to its potential. If its 20-30 degrees out I easily hit 80 in the house with out trying.

Thanks for the responses. It is good to hear people are happy with them. I have a newer steel stove but I think a larger one is needed to heat my house, especially since it is in the basement. I need to sell this one and an old Fender Strat Guitar. The stove I am interested in is on Craigslist, new, never used. I think it is 2,000 or a little under. They have several new ones listed for sale. need to call and find out what the deal is.

Back