Heating w/ wood insert...anybody use BioBricks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandnational

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings,

I mainly heat my home w/ my wood stove fireplace insert (a Vermont Castings off-brand DutchWest dw2500) and its really efficient...ie it has secondary burn, is epa certified, has air control, etc...

As the weather gets colder and colder here however, I'm finding that seeing that the stove isn't large enough to cram w/ 8 pieces of wood, I can't get a full nights burn out of it, and the furnace will kick on in the morning. I have oil heat, and that aside, it's more out of principle than price that I don't want it to kick on..I mean what's the point of heating my suburban home w/ wood if I still have to rely on Arab oil? That, and I don't want to get up at 3am to throw wood in the stove.

That being said, I've seen these BioBrick things over the last few years and have wondered about them. They appear to be molded sawdust w/ some sort of binder...like an 8"x8"x4" wood pellet. People that I have asked about them in stores that sell them swear they will last (and put out heat) for over 12 hours. To say the least, I am skeptical. Maybe with 8 of them in the firebox...but who knows, as they aren't cheap, about $17 for 50 or so bricks.

Does anybody here have first hand experience w/ them? Do they heat well? Are they worth the money? Do they output heat for 12+hours? Are they a pain to get going? Do they burn clean?

Thanks in advance!

We did some testing with them. They seem to do what is advertised and they did burn very efficiently...

I had a friend who burned 1 ton worth of those last year, from what ive heard from him they lasted pretty darn long, im not sure what he paid for them though. But whenever i was over there the stove would be putting out some good heat. They stack very easily.. which would be quite obvious as they are bricks haha:)
Maybe try them out for a week and see if you like them?
:cheers:

I think I may just bite the bullet and buy a bag...I'll report on this as I find out:blob2:

Please do, I have heard they last a long time and I am wanting a way to extend my HotBlast burn time beyond the 12 hours I get and still try and get reasonable heat to keep the house >= 65F on long burn days unattended (my house is very old, and working on updating and improving it, so lots of heat loss currently).

Tes

Latest posts

Back