Hello all...please give me feedback on my throwline reel idea

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando84

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm not a professional arborist, but I have done a good bit of recreational climbing. My experience is with single rope technique climbing. You could say I like the gadgetry side of things; I used to have a homemade bigshot and a bow-and-arrow setup.

A few weeks ago I was doing some serious tree work for my father, something I'm in no way qualified for, and had an idea for a "throwline stuffing" device. Stuffing throwline into the bag was always the most time-consuming part of climbing for me.

From the searching I've done online, I can't find any commercially available reel for this purpose. I'd like to know if that is indeed the case, and what is out there currently.

My rough idea is a device that mounts on the top of the throwbag and feeds the line downwards into it. The device would clip onto the line while it is being used to stuff it, and would then be removed afterwards, leaving the throwbag unobstructed for the next throw.

The device would probably have two handles: one for the user to hold it, and another that is attached to a retracting cord. The user would hold the device/throwbag with one hand, and with the other he would repeatedly pull the retracting handle (perpendicular to the vertically fed throwline); with each pull another 2 feet or so of throwline would be stuffed into the bag.

I have a rough idea for the mechanism, but it would take a good bit of tinkering to get right. Please let me know if the above description makes sense and if the idea sounds viable. I think it could be a major time-saver for an arborist.

Let me know if posting a sketch would help.

Thanks!:cheers:

Brando said:
From the searching I've done online, I can't find any commercially available reel for this purpose. I'd like to know if that is indeed the case, and what is out there currently.
There's a shotline winder out right now that is the bomb. You shoot or throw directly off the reel, it deploys beautifully, and without tangles, every time and winding the line back up is consistent and FAST!

It stows well, can be clipped to the saddle if you want and comes ready-to-work with 200 feet of 1.75 mm shotline. No need for a separate, battery operated mechanism to deal with line, the reel does it for you.

This will save you time, it'll pay for itself in short order and then keep giving and giving for years. Nominated best new tree gear of 2010.

You get the ---click---> shotline winder from one of our sponsors, Treestuff.com

Back