Hello all!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmacie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the milling forum (and new to milling). I hung out on the chainsaw forum for a while a few winters ago.

I did a little milling last year for a friend. I used his setup of 2 used 385XPs and a 54" Alaskan mill. I didn't know much about milling (and still don't) but found that I liked doing it very much.
It looks like I will be milling for him about every other weekend so I want to make sure I'm up to par with technique and make sure I'm not making it harder on the equipment and myself.

We've been milling mostly 45"+ vermont sugar maple. We've had some beautiful slabs. I don't have pics to share right now, but next time I am at the shop i will get some of the slabs and of some finished product.

Travis

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the milling forum (and new to milling). I hung out on the chainsaw forum for a while a few winters ago.

I did a little milling last year for a friend. I used his setup of 2 used 385XPs and a 54" Alaskan mill. I didn't know much about milling (and still don't) but found that I liked doing it very much.
It looks like I will be milling for him about every other weekend so I want to make sure I'm up to par with technique and make sure I'm not making it harder on the equipment and myself.

We've been milling mostly 45"+ vermont sugar maple. We've had some beautiful slabs. I don't have pics to share right now, but next time I am at the shop i will get some of the slabs and of some finished product.

Travis
Welcome to the milling side of life Travis! We like pictures over here, looking forward to seeing them.

I will try to get some pics this week. I Have to run out to the shop to get a regular bar for the power heads. I am pulling them apart to see what they may need to be brought back to life. I am pondering doing a little bit of port and exhaust work to get that little bit of extra power. Nothing too crazy though.
One log worth of slabs from last winter came back from the kiln not too long ago. This log took quite a while to get through, as well as several chain loops due to the amount of hardware we ran into. It was well worth it though.

Travis

Welcome to the milling addiction forum, one tip for getting through logs a little easier with a csm, raise the starting end of the log about 3-5* if possible, that little of angle gets you milling on a decline, and does make a nice difference.

Looking forward to pics.

A decline huh..I'll have to try that. It does get a little rough on the wiiiide stuff that has been slabbed to where you cant stand up, but cant kneel. The outcome is well worth it!!

Travis

Welcome to the milling addiction forum, one tip for getting through logs a little easier with a csm, raise the starting end of the log about 3-5* if possible, that little of angle gets you milling on a decline, and does make a nice difference.

Looking forward to pics.

I second this... doesn't take much of an incline, just the fact that one end is a little higher than the other makes a BIG difference. You will notice it even more if you for whatever reason have to mill UPhill, from the low end to a higher end. Sometimes, depending on the size of the log and where it is laying, this is unavoidable.

Ask as many questions as you like... :popcorn:

Looking forward to pics.

I second this... doesn't take much of an incline, just the fact that one end is a little higher than the other makes a BIG difference. You will notice it even more if you for whatever reason have to mill UPhill, from the low end to a higher end. Sometimes, depending on the size of the log and where it is laying, this is unavoidable.

Ask as many questions as you like... :popcorn:

+1 for incline.

A little is nice but a lot can be much better.

attachment.php

This one literally fed itself. If you use this method be cautious as things tend to slide when cut free.

Welcome to AS!

Last edited:
Aggie, I've come across a few pics of yours. Beautiful wood and beautiful work!! We have a few logs that are larger than the mill so those are just hanging out for the time being. There are a few "still standing, but are due to come down" trees that we'd love to get our hands on, but they are much larger than the mill. Any recommendations for mill setups over 54"?

Travis

Aggie, I've come across a few pics of yours. Beautiful wood and beautiful work!! We have a few logs that are larger than the mill so those are just hanging out for the time being. There are a few "still standing, but are due to come down" trees that we'd love to get our hands on, but they are much larger than the mill. Any recommendations for mill setups over 54"?

Travis

Thanks. The 2 most common hand held CSM available are the Alaskan and GB. Both are quality mills and both have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm my opinion the GB has a slight edge over the Alaskan for long bars and big powerheads because it attaches directly to the powerhead. Search for "GB mill" you will see what I mean. You will also find some modifications I did to mine that improved some of it's weaker points.

Good luck and post pics!:cheers:

I just re-read your original post and saw you already have use of an Alaskan. Another option is you can easily cobble together a longer set of rails for it. You might have to add some cross members for stiffness but it shouldn't be too hard.

If you want to buy a new one for yourself the GB is available in lengths up to 84". I get my GB products from a company called Stens at 800-765-9357. Ask for Norm and tell him Jared sent you.:)

Thanks Jared,
I've read your threads on modding your GB, I might give one of those a shot with a longer bar.
The shop is right along side of a major "tourist" road, so we get a lot of people stopping to ask what we are doing and how its done. We've had some other millers and woodworkers stop in and compliment us on the work. I'm pretty sure we mill the widest maple slabs of anyone in the state. (not that thats hard, its Vermont). It will soon be time to step it up a notch and go wider!! I wish we had water oak and pecan around here, thats some beautiful wood!!

Travis

Latest posts

Back