Hello and a bit of help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you hoping to achieve with the saw?

Seals and gaskets could be tricky to find, bearings may be proprietary too. If you decide to go further, it’s worth having a very good reason to do so, you may be giving yourself a heap extra work both in time and expense.

Did the seals leak? Did the gasket leak?

If not, I’d suggest to leave well alone.

Thanks for the response. Basically, I want to get the chainsaw cleaned up, not restored, and running well. I was trying to figure out the issue I described in Post #13 above, and a forum member said to check the crankshaft seals. The CS was so gunked up with oily sawdust, so I started removing parts to get at the debris, and I ended up where the pictures are. I did clean up the piston, removing a thick baked-on layer of carbon from the crown, and I also cleaned out the piston ring grooves:

RenderedImage.jpeg

Last but not least, I’m learning how these chainsaws are put together! That’s worth the education :)

Thanks for the response. Basically, I want to get the chainsaw cleaned up, not restored, and running well. I was trying to figure out the issue I described in Post #13 above, and a forum member said to check the crankshaft seals. The CS was so gunked up with oily sawdust, so I started removing parts to get at the debris, and I ended up where the pictures are. I did clean up the piston, removing a thick baked-on layer of carbon from the crown, and I also cleaned out the piston ring grooves:

View attachment 1086405

Last but not least, I’m learning how these chainsaws are put together! That’s worth the education :)
Sure, it’s good to learn and no better way than hands on. I’d suggest checking the bearings (main crank bearings, the small and large on the conrod too). Check for play, damage or gritty feeling. If they are smooth and quiet without any up and down play leave them be.

Then put it back together and pressure and vacuum test it. From there you’ll know if the seals will need replacing and if you have a leak anywhere that needs addressing. Run a good oil - mineral at 32:1 or synthetic at 40:1 and a good tune and you’ll keep it happy.

Thanks. Guess I’m looking at a rebuild, which will be my first one. I was hoping to get away with what I’d done so far - oh well.
I had a homelite 330 that was doing the same thing that you described, and it was the clutch springs that were worn out and didn't have enough tension to hold the clutch shoes from already engaging as soon as I started the saw and wouldn't allow the idle to come down when turning the screw out like normal when adjusting idle. I removed the drum and the clutch linings from two of the shoes were lying inside the bottom of the drum and appeared to have been over lubricated and made a mess of the clutch! Sounds like you might want to hold off on disassembling any further and maybe check those springs to see if they are worn out my friend! 😉

I had a homelite 330 that was doing the same thing that you described, and it was the clutch springs that were worn out and didn't have enough tension to hold the clutch shoes from already engaging as soon as I started the saw and wouldn't allow the idle to come down when turning the screw out like normal when adjusting idle. I removed the drum and the clutch linings from two of the shoes were lying inside the bottom of the drum and appeared to have been over lubricated and made a mess of the clutch! Sounds like you might want to hold off on disassembling any further and maybe check those springs to see if they are worn out my friend! 😉

Thanks for the comments! On my saw, the clutch springs were still quite strong, and the shoes looked good. Now that I have a new set of gaskets, I’ll reassemble the saw and see how the compression is and try running it. Of course, I’m sure I’ll end up with an extra screw and wonder where it’s supposed to go :oops:

Today, I got the 041 back together - finally! I cleaned out the carb and the cylinder, piston, connecting rod, etc. and I also used new fuel lines and gaskets. I added fresh fuel and oil, and tried starting it without the bar just to see what would happen. After about ten pulls of the cord with the engine turning over but not firing, suddenly the cord stopped engaging, and I could feel something spinning down inside the starter cord assembly. At least, that’s what it felt like - something spinning fast after I pulled and eased the cord back, then slowing down and stopping. I’m not certain what this could be - a broken or loose spring? Also, what’s the name of that white plastic collar with the internal teeth that I believe is engaged by the pawls in the starter assembly? I noticed during re-assembly that the teeth seemed pretty worn down, but as I’ve never seen a new one, I wasn’t certain if it was wear or just how it’s supposed to be. Thanks for your continued advice…

Any advice regarding the issue in my last post, before I start tearing back into the 041? Thanks!

At this point it would be best for you to remove the recoil side and get a visual on what is going on with it, then post pics for the experts on here to have a look at, otherwise it becomes a guessing game of what is not right.

Thanks. I figured that to be the case, but wanted to ask here first in case someone said, “Oh, I know exactly what the issue is, and here’s what you need to do…” I’ll take it apart again on the recoil side and see what’s revealed.

Thanks. I figured that to be the case, but wanted to ask here first in case someone said, “Oh, I know exactly what the issue is, and here’s what you need to do…” I’ll take it apart again on the recoil side and see what’s revealed.
The magicians.

The magicians.
Pioneerguy600, your saw on your profile picture is down right beautiful! I too own a 1959 Pioneer 600 that I have named Boeguard! Heaviest 26 pounds i ever lifted in my life! I could swear it weighed ten pounds more than that when I first picked it up, I was looking over the stats on acresite and it said it was only 26 pounds and I thought to myself that there is no way that damn thing only weighs 26 . So I threw his fat ass up on are digital bathroom scales and it was exactly what it said weighed 26LBS dead on my friend! This is truly one of my favorite chainsaws that I own out of all 135 saws i have in my collection. Everything is so well built that it is my go to piece for show and tell when someone asks me what saw they should buy and I tell them that you need to go back at least twenty five years before you will find something reasonably worth owning and they reply, Oh that's way too old for what I'm looking for! And I have to school them about a time when stuff was made for the long haul in life! And now it's a plastic throw away era of time and your dumping a huge amount of cash into a plastic shiny piece of crap! 😉

Does this pic show up? I borrowed it off the net and there is times they don`t transfer to this site but does show up on my screen. I am guessing this is the type of starter he has on his saw if it has the starter ring in the flywheel.
sunday_4330519_1024x1024.jpg

No hard feelings OP, I understand sometimes we are hopeful for someone to offer the answer you were hoping, but you’ll quickly learn it’s much better to take it apart and look yourself. It’s quicker and often stares you in the face.l rather than us guessing.

In fact us guessing may create more problems and time wasted for you.

I LOVE the sound of the 041’s. I think they’re the nicest sounding stihls of all time. Followed by the stihl 07.

Yes, the 041 does have a nice exhaust note, they were plentyful around these parts years ago but once the 026 came out the old 041 got left under the benches. I have several here in fine to new condition but never take them out for serious work.

Thanks for the responses, folks. It was just a rather singular incident with something continuing to spin inside the starter mechanism after I’d pulled the rope, that I thought it might be a known issue. I’ll take it apart and have a look.

How did the 026 usurp the 041’s role? Lighter, more power, etc.?

Thanks for the responses, folks. It was just a rather singular incident with something continuing to spin inside the starter mechanism after I’d pulled the rope, that I thought it might be a known issue. I’ll take it apart and have a look.

How did the 026 usurp the 041’s role? Lighter, more power, etc.?
Yes the 026 is a much lighter saw, more nimble with better AV and cuts faster than the regular 041`s did. The 041`s belong back in the dinosaur era of chainsaws.

Back