Hello! Firewood cutting with my MS210

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdaly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have read this site with great interest for some time and finally decided to join.

I cut roughly a full cord on Saturday afternoon by myself, filling up my truck bed and trailer. I cut in the national forest with fuelwood permits.

I have a Stihl MS210 w/ 16" bar, a hand-operated 10-ton splitter, and just the usual splitting mauls and wedges. Pretty lightweight equipment, I know, but I've made 3 cords of firewood with this setup so far. The MS210 is amazingly capable. Yes, it does have its limitations, does get bogged down if you're not careful, and does take some patience, but it'll get the job done.

Ironically, I can't heat my house with wood (although I'd like to) because I only have a cheesy gas fireplace. But I burn a lot of firewood when camping and in our backyard fire pit. Also I figure firewood piles are like money piles sitting in the back yard if I ever need the cash.

Anyway, I really enjoy this site, I can already feel the CAD nagging at me, and really enjoy the good hard labor of firewood cutting. At some point I'll probably relegate the MS210 to small limbing/bucking tasks and maybe get a bigger saw as my regular firewood cutting saw.

Welcome !!

sdaly - Welcome to AS, Glad you found this great place to hang out. Just like you I enjoy cutting wood, although I heat with it also :) There is a ton of info within the forum on saws, stoves, splitters, haulers, pictures, etc. Although I am more active here in the cold months, I do drop in every few weeks to see how everyone is doing. AS is just a good friendly bunch of people helping each other, relaxing, and telling stories. So a big Welcome from the show me state of Missouri...

Last edited:
Nice saw you have there.
I have the same one and like it a lot.

Be careful of the CAD bug.

Thanks, guys.

iCreek, I lived in Kansas City for many years (on the Kansas side). I enjoy going back to visit and to go out to the lake of the ozarks. You live in a great state!

cjk, I see you also have the MS361. I was actually thinking about getting that saw too. What size bar did you put on yours and how does it work for you?

sdaly,

I started out with a 280 traded for a 290 and added a 440 to the mix. Last fall I grabbed a 210 as well and love it. I find its great for limbing and small stuff. Really saves the back. (Safer too) 440 Bucks everything out these days as time is money and using a grapple bucket. The 290 stays on the truck most days, but comes in handy at times

Welcome aboard sDaly!
Sounds like you are well on your way.
As you can probably tell by spending a couple of minutes here, if you have an
MS361 Stihl saw you will be invited to all of the important parties and stuff:)
Cheers from SE MA

Welcome to the site, put your high boots on and enjoy. Our 210 goes to the woods with us every time we cut.

Unofficial site rules

Dont start any mixing oil or bar oil threads
Dont ask about a 290 Stihl
Dont knock an Stihl MS361 or dullmore 5100S
Dont ask about carbide chain
(these topics hair up the experts who post here every day)

Oh ya, dont mess with TreeCo, the big ax man, LOL.

sdaly, 16" on the 361. It cuts pretty good, you can slow it down but you have to work it pretty hard. Everything I do now with the 361 I did with the 210 before, it just takes a little longer.

Like I said, be careful around here. Next thing you know you will be pricing the ms660.

sdaly, 16" on the 361. It cuts pretty good, you can slow it down but you have to work it pretty hard. Everything I do now with the 361 I did with the 210 before, it just takes a little longer.

Like I said, be careful around here. Next thing you know you will be pricing the ms660.

That's good to hear. I was thinking maybe a 20" bar on a 361 might complement my 210 nicely.

I'm not too worried about being tempted by a 660, unless they make one that will keep me warm at night or put a roof over my head, my bride keeps me in check. :) But a 361 juuuust might be able to sneak in under the radar, or with minimal punishment. :cool:

HAHA thats how it starts. I would think a 20" would work OK, search around a little here on the 361 and you will find a ton of info.

Welcome aboard sDaly!
Sounds like you are well on your way.
As you can probably tell by spending a couple of minutes here, if you have an
MS361 Stihl saw you will be invited to all of the important parties and stuff:)
Cheers from SE MA

Where are these parties you speak of?:cheers:

I run an 18" for primary bar (great power), and a 25" for the occasional big stuff. It will pull the 25" fine, just keep it reeeeeal sharp.

Glad to have you aboard.

Sadly I must confess to selling my 210 today.

A friend at work needed a good saw and offered to buy it at a price I couldnt refuse. I have been looking at 026/260's and found a used one Im going to buy from a site member. So I decided I better sell one to make room for the 026 and the 660 I WILL have to have someday soon.

For a while I thought I should keep it to try and catch up with some of you saw whores, but then realized it wouldnt get used much with the 026 being so close in size and the wife is not interested in helping with the wood cutting.

It was a good saw, no complaints whatsoever. Its new owner just got a woodstove and should be happy with it for many years.

Latest posts

Back