Hello from Alaska!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ofEverything

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good morning, my wife and I have an acre here in S.E. Alaska and will be milling lumber for the property builds. I have limited chainsaw experience to mainly felling smaller trees and fire wood. I just got a Stihl 041AV powerhead for free from a gentleman that bought "new" back in '77. He had the original manual and some spare parts, I will be disassembling it since he said it started to make a "knocking" sound and it has been sitting for a few years now. The saw has a great history story , him and his wife built two log cabins with it and years of firewood and property clearing. It shows much use, but has character! One question is bar brand that will fit? I don't have money to get what I want, so for now just something to get it rolling and upgrade in the future. Bearings and gaskets I will replace, plus he gave me three carbs, new filters and a plug. Looking forward to any advice and everyone stay safe, strong and have a blessed day!

Hello and welcome,

The bars are easy to find. I have many if you need one. Honestly finding one in AK would be much cheaper with shipping though. I see you said the former owner said it had a knocking noise. That could be a number of things and I hope it is not the worst. The good thing is the 041 was sold for years so there are parts out there.

Bill

There is no specific brand that fits. All bar makers build a bar that fits since Stihl has had their head screwed on correctly and only has had 3 bar mounts since 1959. You need a Oregon DO25 mount bar. Other companies build them that is just the Oregon number. It is a 12m slot. Now a bar that fits your saw will only fit Stihl saws from 024-066 with the exception of the 050/51 which takes a 14mm. How long of bar are you looking for? Honestly just go into a servicing Stihl dealer and buy a new one. You will be money ahead and headaches behind

Looking for 24" since I have a 24" CS-590 and a bunch of chains already. We live in Petersburg and everything comes in by barge or plane. Actually there is a boat shop(fishing community) and he works on saws, cool deal, thanks for making me think for a second! I will check with him later and see what he says. I will keep you posted, have a great morning!

I got it running, but it won't idle down. I did not hear anything "loose", but until I can get it to idle I can't really hear anything. STRONG compression!

There is no specific brand that fits. All bar makers build a bar that fits since Stihl has had their head screwed on correctly and only has had 3 bar mounts since 1959. You need a Oregon DO25 mount bar. Other companies build them that is just the Oregon number. It is a 12m slot. Now a bar that fits your saw will only fit Stihl saws from 024-066 with the exception of the 050/51 which takes a 14mm. How long of bar are you looking for? Honestly just go into a servicing Stihl dealer and buy a new one. You will be money ahead and headaches behind
I did go ahead and order a new bar, decided on 24" since I have the chains already for it. After research sounds like air/vacuum leaks are what's causing it to idle super fast! so I am now going to order a complete gasket/seals kit for it. Any rebuild advice greatly appreciated, have a great rest of the day.

Back