Hello from BKVP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah normally when I clean the stove the ash fills a 5 gal pail. I find the stove holds heat/coals longer with a good, several inch, bed of ash in it.

Okay BKVP I now heat with a Woodstock Fireview.Good stove but you have to replace the guts every few years.8 to 10 hour burns are pushing it.I usually get up about 4 am and refill it to make it to morning.I have heard reports of the King going 40 hours on a burn,I believe that to be more BS then reality.It may burn 40 hours but the heat out put does not keep a home inside at 70 when it is at 10 below outside for 40 hours,I just can not believe that.What I have read I believe the Princess would work for me.I am asking you not Idaho native or valley but you,what in reality can I expect in terms of burn time keeping a home at 70 in -zero weather outside?Also should I expect to replace steel inside the stove on a regular basis.Woodstock told me I am burning the stove to hot and this is because I season the wood for 2 years.What say you?

[sarc]Anyone who claims a King model will "heat" your home for 40 hours is a liar. It's impossible...can't be done...fairytale BS. Furthermore, Blaze King stoves are junk...will only heat your home for 5 hours...don't even consider buying one...you won't like them.[end sarc]

[sarc]Anyone who claims a King model will "heat" your home for 40 hours is a liar. It's impossible...can't be done...fairytale BS. Furthermore, Blaze King stoves are junk...will only heat your home for 5 hours...don't even consider buying one...you won't like them.[end sarc]

Thanks for the info,I figured the claims were BS.I had hoped to get some info from BKVP but you seem knowledgable.So I will definitely not buy a Blaze King and will not need to follow this thread anymore so I will unsubscribe.5 hours, my woodstock does a lot better then that.You just saved me a nice amount of money,thanks again.

Thanks for the info,I figured the claims were BS.I had hoped to get some info from BKVP but you seem knowledgable.So I will definitely not buy a Blaze King and will not need to follow this thread anymore so I will unsubscribe.5 hours, my woodstock does a lot better then that.You just saved me a nice amount of money,thanks again.

I would appreciate the opportunity to answer your question. First off, any manufacturer that would try to address your question and then provide you a credible answer or promise is a fool.

There are so many variables that effect burn time. Let's address the Fireview first. Woodstock makes outstanding products and is run by a great group of people. Your experience with having to rebuild the unit internally might suggest a couple of items. PERHAPS (this means I cannot be certain) the firebox capacity is not large enough to carry a sufficient amount of fuel to heat your home to the desired temperature for a given time frame. Often when that is the case, stoves are asked to perform at a higher level (output), for longer periods of time than designed. In our lab we have watched what happens when the heat being lost up the stack takes over and stimulates draft. I suspect that in order to keep your home at 70 degrees when it is -10f, the 80 degree differential really tests your stove, as it would test any stove with a manual air control. If you load your stove and then head off to work or bed and the outside temps drop to -10f, your stove will automatically begin to burn hotter without any interference from you the user. The other possibility, an air leak exists somewhere that is allowing your stove to burn hotter than you desire.

Given that you are not awake for all hours of the burn, the very nature of the fuel we burn, will result in uneven heat production, especially when the outside temps fall. We see this routinely in the interior of Alaska where it can easily drop to -60 F.

As to our stoves, the thermostat, given there are no air leaks, interferes with the forces of nature and try's to keep the draft under control. Certainly our thermostats meter out the fuel in a way that is not replicated on other stoves....to the very best of my knowledge. So while a person is sleeping or at work or just out enjoying the outdoors, the thermostat meters out the heat and gives an even distribution for the given amount of fuel in the stove.

There is no alien technology, voodoo or other influence here, just solid engineering.

As to your question, I offer the following: in Fairbanks Alaska, where winter temps are much lower than your -10F, where homes are well insulated, where fuel is limited to basically birch or spruce, a Princess stove can burn up to 10 hours. This is strictly anecdotal and not intended for you to later say ...."you told me I'd get 10 hour burns."

I think your Fireview is a fine stove. The fact that there are thousands of them in the field and they are still selling them would substantiate the quality of the product. I would explore the causes issue before looking for a magic pill in another stove.

bkvp,
Dammitt Chris, You cost me alot of money today....lol
It was fun talking with some of the folks at Bowmans about how this came about (you introducing yourself here, got my wheels spinning again)..They are great people..
I even found out that how much you absolutely love the "Subaru" Motor Co...............hehe
My stove should be ready to pickup in 2-3 wks..
Are you over there scouting for Red Stag ????

I am an avid outdoorsman, which is a tactful way of saying hunter. I did some hunting in New Zealand back in Feb., what a great country! No tags, no licenses, no seasons, no limits. All four legged animals are considered invasive. I chose not to hunt red stag as most if not all of the hunts are on private, fenced properties. Instead, I went after wild boar and found it to be very tiring, challenging and a great amount of fun. I also was afforded the opportunity to thin out some of the wild goats left by Capt. Cook.

As for Bowman's, great store, great American business success story. As for your investment in one of our stoves, thank you very much. The most important fact about owning one of our stoves it to do the dollar bill test from the first day it is installed and then twice a year thereafter. You should read the section about keeping the door seal air tight and adhere to a regular maintenance schedule.

With a tight door seal and good seasoned wood, you should get the full 10 years out of your combustor.

Again, thank you.

I'm on a flight to Salt Lake that was delayed in Seattle. With 200 lbs of fresh halibut in the belly of the plane and worried about making a connection to Pasco, this was a cool post, thank you.

can you give some information on the other models besides the king and princess. What would you recommend for a 1300 sqft ranch in new jersey? is the ashford 30 as well built as the princess etc.

Woody,

Since all our models (other than the Briarwood) are thermostatically controlled, you will have great Btu control from low to high. For 1300 square feet, either the Sirocco 30.1 or the Asford 30.1 will be perfect, just choose the one that looks best for your home. Both of these have 3" ash depth,while the Princess has 6". The King has 9". The depth translates to how often ashes will need to be cleaned out of the stove and also how many coals will be above the door height.

If you like the look of the Princess, it would certainly do the job as well.

bkvp,
Dammitt Chris, You cost me alot of money today....lol
It was fun talking with some of the folks at Bowmans about how this came about (you introducing yourself here, got my wheels spinning again)..They are great people..
I even found out that how much you absolutely love the "Subaru" Motor Co...............hehe
My stove should be ready to pickup in 2-3 wks..
Are you over there scouting for Red Stag ????

Congrats on your new stove Showrguy. You will love it...worth every penny and then some!

image.jpg image.jpg My stove is caddy corner and the chimney connector is 22inches from the wall. Will the princess fit without changing the chimney?

I'm on the road...but the Princess rear corners can be within 6" of the wall when equipped with side shields, double wall pipe and fans or rear shield.

Let's move this type of discussion to pm's. The reason I participate on this and other sites is to provide education/information and clarify cat technology.

I'm in woodys exact position. NJ shore and about 1300 square feet. Corner install. I'd love a blaze king but the price is a killer. I've got a dealer about 90 minutes away. I checked them out last year and no offense most of them are fugly. I'm sure you guys know that already though. Form follows function after all. You guys also probably hate the comparison to Woodstock but the ability to personalize the ideal steel is so clutch in today's market. If you guys could do something like that and have the performance you are known for you would almost corner the market. I think the sirocco and Ashford definitely have some better looks but the price is a killer for me. If I had oil heat or propane I wouldn't care in the least but I have natural gas and I probably don't save any money burning because I'm a first year homeowner and have bought a trailer, a splitter, a stihl kombi and 3 chainsaws in the past 6 months due to this site. Factor in my time and it's cheaper to just let the furnace run. Don't for a second think I'm complaining though, I love every second of it. For a burner like me I can't justify the extra expense to buy a BK. Don't think I haven't thought about whipping out the credit card though!

I'm not going to be in NJ for life though. Might be a BK in my future.

I myself have been in my first home five years now. Last year was my first winter with my princess insert. I completely understand having to buy all the tools to make burning wood a sane proposition lol. I also realize that between the cost of equipment/stove it's going to take along time to save that money spent. One thing I will say is the feeling of knowing my family will stay warm in a power outage or zombie apocalypse lol is a great feeling. My BK has impressed me tremendously and the heat from wood is unparalleled in my opinion. Not saying you need a BK to enjoy that it's just a choice we each make to keep the family warm.

I'm in woodys exact position. NJ shore and about 1300 square feet. Corner install. I'd love a blaze king but the price is a killer. I've got a dealer about 90 minutes away. I checked them out last year and no offense most of them are fugly. I'm sure you guys know that already though. Form follows function after all. You guys also probably hate the comparison to Woodstock but the ability to personalize the ideal steel is so clutch in today's market. If you guys could do something like that and have the performance you are known for you would almost corner the market. I think the sirocco and Ashford definitely have some better looks but the price is a killer for me. If I had oil heat or propane I wouldn't care in the least but I have natural gas and I probably don't save any money burning because I'm a first year homeowner and have bought a trailer, a splitter, a stihl kombi and 3 chainsaws in the past 6 months due to this site. Factor in my time and it's cheaper to just let the furnace run. Don't for a second think I'm complaining though, I love every second of it. For a burner like me I can't justify the extra expense to buy a BK. Don't think I haven't thought about whipping out the credit card though!

I'm not going to be in NJ for life though. Might be a BK in my future.

Only my opinion but...comparing WS to BK is an apples to oranges comparison. The thing that REALLY sets the BK apart from the rest is the auto damper. WS doesn't offer that so to complain about BK's price is irrational to me. If the price is "a killer" and you think they are "fugly", I'm wondering why you are even inquiring about BK in the first place. Sounds to me like looks are more important than performance to you. Doesn't sound like you are even that serious about heating with wood.

I am in no way talking down to WS products. It's just, in my opinion, you can't compare the two because they are designed and built differently. The performance goal is different as well, with the auto damper allowing the user to get some long "real world" burns. That is not important to everyone however, and if it's not important to you, a different (less expensive) stove is probably what you want.

VP made a statement earlier in this thread that I though was very interesting. He said the coldest city in which they have a dealer is Fairbanks Alaska and 90% of the stoves sold there are BK. If they perform well up there, they will easily heat homes in the lower 48. People up there would probably disagree that the "ability to personalize" a stove is "so clutch in today's market". With their dangerously cold weather, I'm sure personalizing is right down there at the bottom of the list. Heck, I don't live in Alaska and I could care less about personalizing my stove.

Again, in my opinion, you are paying for a quality piece of equipment and superior engineering (auto damper) with BK. That isn't free but you get what you pay for. Just have to decide whats important to you. For people who are serious about wood heat and not letting the stove work them to death, there is no comparison to the BK's.

Only my opinion but...comparing WS to BK is an apples to oranges comparison. The thing that REALLY sets the BK apart from the rest is the auto damper. WS doesn't offer that so to complain about BK's price is irrational to me. If the price is "a killer" and you think they are "fugly", I'm wondering why you are even inquiring about BK in the first place. Sounds to me like looks are more important than performance to you. Doesn't sound like you are even that serious about heating with wood.

I am in no way talking down to WS products. It's just, in my opinion, you can't compare the two because they are designed and built differently. The performance goal is different as well, with the auto damper allowing the user to get some long "real world" burns. That is not important to everyone however, and if it's not important to you, a different (less expensive) stove is probably what you want.

VP made a statement earlier in this thread that I though was very interesting. He said the coldest city in which they have a dealer is Fairbanks Alaska and 90% of the stoves sold there are BK. If they perform well up there, they will easily heat homes in the lower 48. People up there would probably disagree that the "ability to personalize" a stove is "so clutch in today's market". With their dangerously cold weather, I'm sure personalizing is right down there at the bottom of the list. Heck, I don't live in Alaska and I could care less about personalizing my stove.

Again, in my opinion, you are paying for a quality piece of equipment and superior engineering (auto damper) with BK. That isn't free but you get what you pay for. Just have to decide whats important to you. For people who are serious about wood heat and not letting the stove work them to death, there is no comparison to the BK's.

Are you a paid shill?

Secondly, get your head out from your ass. Reading comprehension and the ability to stay on topic are important. I'd go line by line and tear apart your moronic assumptions but I've learned that arguing with ftards on the internet isn't very productive or fulfilling. Save your keyboard commando fingers because I'm probably not going to bother with your response to this. They aren't kidding when they say you can't fix stupid.

Latest posts

Back