Hello From Northern Pennsylvania

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnwell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker, finally decided to join.

Been running chainsaws for probably 15 years or so—since I was in my early teens anyways—almost exclusively for firewood. Been tearing apart and trying to fix things since I was a little kid—always have had an interest in mechanical things, which is why I became an engineer/machinist.

Recently picked up an Echo CS-590 on the cheap and wanted to undo a terrible (overdone) muffler mod; figured I’d post my plans/progress here as I go.

Been running chainsaws for probably 15 years or so—since I was in my early teens anyways—almost exclusively for firewood. Been tearing apart and trying to fix things since I was a little kid—always have had an interest in mechanical things, which is why I became an engineer/machinist.

Recently picked up an Echo CS-590 on the cheap and wanted to undo a terrible (overdone) muffler mod; figured I’d post my plans/progress here as I go.
welcome! we like engineers..... 👍

1693412981615.png

lol - what is ur fav example! ??
I work in a specialized company that finds solutions for other companies, usually when some other engineer makes a mistake. Probably my favorite one was for an automotive company (which will remain unnamed), where they did not allow for enough room for the fastener to even be inserted into a hole (too little room above it), much less allow room for a wrench to get on it.. I can't show pictures due to NDA's, but they basically had to start over on that section of the car...

I work in a specialized company that finds solutions for other companies, usually when some other engineer makes a mistake. Probably my favorite one was for an automotive company (which will remain unnamed), where they did not allow for enough room for the fastener to even be inserted into a hole (too little room above it), much less allow room for a wrench to get on it.. I can't show pictures due to NDA's, but they basically had to start over on that section of the car...
got it! no need to post pix, the wtf thread has more than one or two of these here new cars/trucks etc... where entire front ends have to be removed to change headlight!!!

Blue Book Rate: pays 6 hrs!

new headlight: $180.00 ea.

:oops:

The only trade worse than engineering is an architecture fellow. What they think is right on paper doesn’t always work in the real world. At least in my trade, it’s funny sometimes. They think they know more about elevators than we do. Auto engineering is some of the absolute worst.

...where entire front ends have to be removed to change headlight!!!

Blue Book Rate: pays 6 hrs!

new headlight: $180.00 ea.

:oops:
I had to change the headlights in a Subaru legacy that were like that. Had to remove the front wheel, wheel liner, and then reach ALL the way up to the front of the vehicle to change a headlight. Worst part was that you'd inevitably contaminate the bulb and have to do it again in a few months.

...Auto engineering is some of the absolute worst.
That is definitely the truth, although some brands are definitely better than others to work on.

Welcome
Hey I have several good friends who are engineers. I have a lot of respect for the trade . I have know a few who had an engineering degree that had no common sense. So for the most part they were educated above their intelligence level. But glad you are going to share your project looking forward to it.

Welcome, I used to live in Stroudsburg Pa
Now in beautiful Colorado

Back