Helmet Advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Positrack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know, this has been covered many times, and I've read many of those threads, but I'd still appreciate some input on my specific situation if you guys don't mind putting a few more whacks on this dead horse.

Following a tornado at my workplace, OSHA and several other government agencies seem to have taken up permanent residence in our, uh, <ahem>, well, we are under a lot of watchful eyes... I've always worn a helmet when felling or when other overhead hazards were present, but we are now being required to have helmet and face shield every time a saw is started, regardless of the work being done. This basically means all day, every day. I've always used the Stihl helmets provided by work when needed, but after enduring a few days wearing one for 10-12 hours at a time, I'm looking for something better. They are hotter than Hades and the attached muffs are all but useless. I have a pretty narrow head, and the muffs don't seal worth a darn. For whatever anatomical reason, I just plain can't get plugs to stay in, and I actually resorted to wrapping a couple layers of electrical tape around my head to put some pressure on the muffs to get them to seal. Naturally, this is not real practical... The muffs I usually wear when not wearing the helmet (Stanley radio headphones) are comfortable and excellent at reducing sound. I don't want to go deaf trying to comply with OSHA's safety standards, so what do you guys who wear these all day recommend for a (preferably vented) helmet with high quality, tight fitting muffs?

I've read many good reviews on the Husqvarna helmets, but I'd really like something with vents. The Stihl helmet has been cooking my melon, and it hasn't even really gotten hot yet this year. I was looking at the Rockman helmets on Bailey's, but I've never seen one in person. About the only thing available locally is the Husky and the Stihl (and at this time, pretty much everybody is out of everything anyway). Are there any new ones out that are worth a look? At the moment, I'm leaning toward taking a chance on the Rockman, but I'd appreciate some voices of experience. Thanks.

I really like the Rockman Premium. Haven't had a Stihl, but I have had Husqvarna's and the Rockman is much better.

A cooler (as in no hot ear muffs) would be a climbing helmet with face screen and banded ear plugs...like these:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200259174_200259174 But not the Rockman brand in those...very uncomfortable. I have also tried the Howard Leight QB1HYG which seem pretty popular, but the plugs fall off of the band, so I don't like those either.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll give the Rockman a shot. A lot of reviews seem to complain about the adjusting mechanism falling apart though; have you ever had any trouble with yours? Like I said, it's looking like this is gonna be all day, every day use, at least until things calm down. I've got to figure something out quick; I can't take another week like the last one. I've always had really good hearing, and I'd like to keep it that way. Whether cutting, running equipment, shooting, or even working in the shop, I just can't stand loud noise and poor hearing protection. I guess I picked a heck of a line of work... :rolleyes:

It's been awhile since I've been on here, and looking around I maybe should have posted this in the equipment section. Sorry mods, please move as you see fit.

Rockman is the only one I have had for more than a year and a half without breaking (Peltor, Husky, et. al.). I have had it for 2-3 years now - so far so good!

Are a separate hardhat with face shield and some other kinds of ear plugs not acceptable?

I love the petzl vertex. Has vents great pads inside even comes with a spare set, you can adjust it any which way you want and the muffs and shield work well I do rust through the face shield probably every year though. Are you doing logging or climbing? It has no lip on the front so if raining you will get a bit more water on you but allows you to get through canopies 10 times easier than a logging helmet...

Rockman is the only one I have had for more than a year and a half without breaking (Peltor, Husky, et. al.). I have had it for 2-3 years now - so far so good!

Are a separate hardhat with face shield and some other kinds of ear plugs not acceptable?

I'm sure it would be legal, but I don't relish the notion of trying to prove it if one of the many "eyes" questioned it. I want to draw as little attention to myself and my crew as possible until the insanity dies down. Mainly though, I sort of like the idea of having one self-contained apparatus. Less chance of losing/forgetting something. I misplace my coffee mug about 10 times a day, so I don't need any extra stuff to keep track of... :dizzy: I might try a set of those plugs just to see how I like 'em though. Honestly, I'm so used to wearing muffs that they really don't bother me (I gave up on conventional plugs years ago), but maybe I'll change my mind after trying those.

I love the petzl vertex. Has vents great pads inside even comes with a spare set, you can adjust it any which way you want and the muffs and shield work well I do rust through the face shield probably every year though. Are you doing logging or climbing? It has no lip on the front so if raining you will get a bit more water on you but allows you to get through canopies 10 times easier than a logging helmet...

No climbing (though I've always wanted to learn, just never had the opportunity), very limited bucket work. It's more like logging, though we often do have a lot of thick underbrush to wade through. Between the honeysuckle, multiflora, raspberry, buckthorn, cherry, etc... it often feels like being in a tree. We drop mainly dead, diseased, hazard, or storm damaged trees. We usually get 450~500 oak wilt trees per year, EAB hit us last year, and now we have probably 500+ acres of severe blowdown.

Anyway, I looked at 'em and I do think one of those climbing helmets would be pretty handy for my purposes, but for now I'd just as soon get a standard forestry helmet so there are no questions asked. I'm probably being paranoid, but we're all walking on eggshells and between the cleanup ahead of us and the bureaucracy we now have to deal with, I just want to not make waves and get to work. That said, these things don't last forever; maybe I'll try one out at some point. They are considerably lighter than the standard helmets aren't they?

Thanks again for the suggestions.

It will largley come down to the regs in your area. IE we have to wear a class E hard hat for electrical hazzard, but the residential guys dont. No hard hat is cool, the only way to keep your head cool is to shave it :)

I wear a Petzl Vertex. Its really adjustable, fits my head and all the junk that has to be on it fits. IE Ear muffs, face screen. Having no brim on it is nice when you're trying to sqeeze your head through tight spaces. The Kask ones are super cool but where I live they don't meet the full regs.

Kask super plasma w visor n ear muffs, will run @ $215 all together and worth every penny. I've had mine 2 yrs n wear it 8-10 hrs a day . Most comfortable helmet on the market. Do urself a favor n get sena communication headset for it, even if u only have one and nobody else to use intercom w the bluetooth phone features r awesome !! Being able to listen to music all day makes u more likely 2 wear the helmet. 2 sena headsets make rope work and Crane work so much easier and safer being able to communicate even while running a saw.

Wading in where I probably shouldn't but how do the elvex compare? A few guys around me have them and like them. I don't wear one enough to know the difference between terrible and best thing made

I even wear my kask w visor n sena headset working in the yard n garage, never miss a phone call and get to listen to music in sterio sound that is amazing for the price of sena sytem. Oh and I forgot to mention half the time at work there is a go pro mounted on top of helmet but weight is not even noticed it's so comfortable

I use a petzl vertex best. They're extremely light, none if that neck ache after 12 hours of wearing it.

How does the Sena install into the muffs? Do you need to drill a hole

We don't use the Sena, but we should because I have hearing problems without excess noise, but I wouldn't think you would need to drill a hole. The muffs slide onto the helmet, the visor presses into the muffs and there are 2 more holes, maybe for the Sena?

Attachments

• 2015-07-18 09.43.44.jpg
    2015-07-18 09.43.44.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
I was asking bigblu, he said he uses the Sena system. On sherrill it looks like the line comes through the muffs along the outside wall.

I removed the hygiene pads n ground a groove in the plastic for the wires to pass thru on my last 3 or 4 sets i have put together. Used to just run wire right out of ear opening . Don't have any at home to show u a pic of what I do w them,they r all in the work trucks. I do production crane removals every day so we have several sets. Once u use them u will never want to b without. I also had to drill a very small hole in edge of helmet to tie wrap mic on bc velcro didn't hold in the heat. I know that may void warranty on helmet but osha inspector didn't say anything bad about it. At least now I always wear the thing !

Latest posts

Back