Help/advice rayco RG1642

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subhunter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Good morning,happy monday all. Let me first say I am green as grass as far as parts and terms are on a stump grinder. I own a small scale tree removal business and was tired of calling a guy for all my stumps so I looked and watched and found this machine for a decent price. Overall I think it is in good condition with about 1085hrs. I have owned it for two months and ground out 25 stumps so far. It is a beast and no stump has stood in its way.

So here is my reason for this post. The machine did not come with a owners manual.Anyone have a downloaded one? I am lost on the terminology of the parts on this machine. I know it will need the belt from motor to the shaft soon. What is that shaft called? Anyone have part numbers for the belt? What else should I be looking at replacing at the time I do the belt? Any special instructions for the belt replacement?

I know I am full of questions but I am wanting to replace the belt before it blows out. I have looked and cant seem to find the info I was seeking and knowing how great this site is I am sure someone here has some info for me. Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Joseph,

The belt coming off of the engine is called the drive belt. It goes down to the jack shaft and the belt that turns the cutter head wheel is called a poly chain belt. You might be able to get a manual from Rayco by calling 800-392-2686 and they might email it to you. I carry the cutter wheel bearings, poly chain belt, and poly chain sprockets for the 1642. I would check the cutter wheel bearings by grabbing the top and bottom of the cutter wheel and see if you have any play. If so, the cutter wheel bearings are bad and if you run it too long that way, it could damage the cutter wheel shaft. I would also check the poly chain sprockets as they wear down and become sharp and they can cut that expensive poly chain belt. You want to make sure that the teeth on the poly chain sprockets are flat on top. If not, they'll need replacing as well.

Feel free to contact me at any time.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

THanks for the reply. I checked the wheel and it is still tight. The previous owner was the original owner and was pretty meticulous about the machine. It is a 1998 model and has surface rust but the machine is in nice condition and grinds like a champ. I have been on a learning curve as this is my first grinder. I take it slowly and watch it close. I also grease it after every use with the red hi temp moly grease.

Ed do you have the drive belt ?

Keep in mind the 66hp turboed deutz bolts straight up to the 1642.

The best advice I can give you is to keep the jack shaft greased and pull the bottom cover off the cutting wheel belt and hot wash the bottom poly chain/pulley while its idling over.

Gets the grease and grit out of there so its not sharpening the pulley teeth and wrecking belts.

Can anyone give me some info on how to tighten/adjust the drive belt? It looks like it is a little bit loose and is flapping just a bit. I keep on coming up with nothing on all my searches. thanks in advance

Back