help getting into piston, removing cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finkey

Reaction score
for Craftsman gas chain saw model 358.360280 18" blade

Just replaced zama carburetor, no problem, but don't know how to get into the cylinder and piston, to replace rings. Have kit. Working only with owner's manual blow-away, and you bet Sears repair shop doesn't offer "tech support"! Took off flywheel nut but no luck. Anyone know the trick? Thanks in advance! :blob6:

If you are being serious, and since no one else answered...

Looking down at the cylinder, you'll see four holes going thru the cooling fins. At the bottom of each of those holes you'll find a hex screw. Remove the screws, and you should be able to lift (carefully) the cylinder off of the piston.

You'll first need to remove the carb, muffler, and anything else that attaches to the cylinder. If you go to Sears.com, you will probably be able to find an IPL and other documents for this saw. It might take a little searching.

Good luck!

BTW--Removing the flywheel, also the clutch, won't give you access to the piston & rings.

Last edited:
Just Trying to help avoid problems here, but if you had a hard time figuring how to get it appart you will have even more trouble trying to get it back together. Do you have something to use as a ring compressor?

Not 100% sure but I think you need to take the carb and adaptor plate / boot off on that saw also to get the jug off. That is what I found on some of the cheep Poulan saws.

I have found it workable to use a piece from an empty beer can. Wrap it around the piston and hold it with pliers to guid the ring into the cyl.

I find the engines with the top half of the crankcase incorporated into the jug more of PITA than the short jugs off Stihls Huskys ect

Back