help identifying this firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrydon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy all, I've been burning wood for a couple of years now but I don't know some of the firewood species yet, I was told this is mulberry but, when I try to look it up, what I find doesn't seem to match. I got this cord from a local sawmill for 60 bucks -- I've gotten wood from them before (pin oak, red oak and ash). this stuff was TOUGH to split !!, I used my 8lb maul & 10 lb sledge w/wedge to break it down so I could put it on my 'lil 5 ton electric Boss splitter and it was a job for sure.
it smells strong (kinda poopy) and stringy is the best way I can describe its character, I'm hoping I don't have a cord of crappy wood--- can you guys please help me figure out what this is?IMG_0384.JPG IMG_0383.JPG IMG_0378.JPG IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0381.JPG IMG_0382.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 25
Looks like Mulberry to me also. It's related the Osage orange, so it's heavy and tough.

locust? is it light yellow when first split and the a couple of days later darkens to a honey color?
It was light yellow when split but it hasn't darkened any that I can tell , but I'll keep my eye on it , I just finished splitting it yesterday

Looks like some variety of elm to me. Mulberry is a much deeper reddish color and locust is much yellower.

Yeah, "my" mulberry has a LOT more yellow in it with a darker heartwood. Is that the bark in the 2nd pic? Could be some elm I would think. Should be a good BTU maker. Heck, it ain't boxelder, so that is a bonus.

If you have locust, you hit the jackpot. Hot hot fire, low ash, burns really nice and doesn't rot over time in the pile.
Yeah, "my" mulberry has a LOT more yellow in it with a darker heartwood. Is that the bark in the 2nd pic? Could be some elm I would think. Should be a good BTU maker. Heck, it ain't boxelder, so that is a bonus.
yes , that's bark in the 2nd pic , peeling off

Latest posts

Back