Help ID'ing This Tree,,,Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rigandig

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ronnies Tree 4.jpg Ronnies Tree 5.jpg Ronnies Tree 5.jpg Ronnies Tree 8.jpg Ronnies Tree 17.jpg I have asked around in my area (Middletown, VA) and have got a different answer each time. The answrs range from Black Gum, Wild Cherry, Berry Tree, etc. Thought I would put a few pics on here and see if someone can ID this tree for me. Depending on what it is will dictate where it ends up at, lumber or firewood.
I have about 17 different pics, from standing to end views and leaf and fruit shots.

I will post a few and see what everyone thinks.

Not sure what you mean by broken,,,, can't see them? Let me know.

Cucumber magnolia. Not sure on that, but will look at some samples on the net.

Thanks.

There is one pic shown that has the buds in it. There are 32 buds on that stem in a length of approximately 4 to 5 inches. Not sure if that will help or not.

I will look at some samples on the net.
12ce4.jpg
This wood is fairly soft. Cuts like poplar or pine. I took it down last spring. I went over the weekend and hauled 2 loads home, (then truck broke down). The bark is now falling off and has a layer of thin stringy stuff under it, much like Walnut would have. Not sure if any of that info will be helpful.

I believe you may have hit the nail on the head. I looked at some pictures on the net and read a bit, and everything I read and see points to Eastern Cottonwood.
Thanks for all the replies.

Cottonwood-be sure to go back this spring.Cottonwood stumps are morel magnets for about 5 years.

Latest posts

Back