Help indentifying this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys...I don't post much, nor I have posted much lately. I'm a lurker and I've just been milling my own stuff, enjoying the hobbie rather than riding the computer much. Yesterday I was milling this tree. The top was broken off in a storm so it's hard to identify what it is. I can tell you that it was 24" as the base, had a very straight trunk for 22' then it was broken off. There isn't much taper to the trunk. It's quite hard, nice brown/maybe a bit redish heartwood, white to yellow sapwood. The bark is smooth though. It has ridges..but it's smooth. Not any real sharp edges. I know these photos suck but it's all I have. I thought I'd be able to find a tree like this in my two books but I'm sort of coming up short without leaves or twigs. After some research, I thought it might be Red Elm..but the bark isn't really right for that...but the straight trunk and wood colour point to the elm. The tree was in a big leaf forested area with ash and many kinds of maple, within 100' of a creek...sort of wet ground. Any masters out there? I'm in Southern Ontario, Canada.

Comments? Oh one thing...I like to kneel when I mill. Works for me. This first cut photo is the only one I have of the bark. I know..it's asking a lot with only this photo. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Even suggest a better way to photograph the bark or something. I'd like to know what it is.

202408d1318338558-img-20111010-00580-jpg

Looks like it could be red oak to me but a close up of the bark would be nice. What does it smell like? If it smells like urine it is probably red oak.

I'm pretty sure you know oak Andrew so I might go with the red elm. It also looks like it might be bitternut hickory. Better pictures would have been helpful. I'll go with the hickory.

Bitternut is common to bottomland. Did you notice any husks around the base?

When I flipped through my books and narrowed things down, the bitternut hickory was second only to the red elm. It's not oak...I know oak. It doesn't smell like urine. Last night I ran my load out to the barn and stacked it. Right beside some oak. It's not oak. Close...but not. I took a couple of other photos but I never made it back to my computer last night. What do you think of these? My clean fingers are just for scale in the photos.

Mike-thepheniox, I was meaning to thank you again. I did actually just ship a wheel to a customer using the Red Oak I milled from the tree you 'gave me'. It was wonderful. The wheel now overlooks the Manhattan skyline. Thanks again. Look at these close ups... still going with Bitternut Hickory? You've seen way more than I have.

View attachment 202519

View attachment 202520

View attachment 202521

Yes I'll say it's bitternut hickory. Red elm is very hard to come by around here. I have one red elm at one of my milling sites and that might be the only one I've ever came across.

Latest posts

Back