Help me choose a saw for my wife

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangergord

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So my wife says she wants a chainsaw. This is not too unusual. She grew up on a ranch driving tractors and such. She also wants a bobcat but that will have to wait a bit longer I think. She complains that my Jred 670 is just too heavy and she wants a smaller saw for limbing etc. I had a stihl 021Av that she liked for its size. It ran well and cut alot of wood over the years but I found it far too small for my liking and the tiny teeth on the chain sucked. So I want something a bit bigger than that. I am thinking about 40 cc, able to run a 16-20 inch bar, lighter than my 670champ. I am going with Husky or Jonsered because I have dealer support with those saws and I have sworn off stihl at this point. The other saw makes do not have enough parts support locally. So given those parameters I have been looking at saws like the Husky 435, 445, 339xp, 346xp and Jonsered 2238 and 2245. Would prefer proven long term models with high sales numbers and reasonable parts prices and large parts inventories. Is that a tall order or what? Recommendations?

I'll say the 346xp or the Jred =(2153?). Not just because of all the hype on AS, but because they are the best choice for what you're looking for.

I have a 435, good little limber

A 445 would be a better all around saw, but 1 LB. heavier.
A 2238 may be similar to 235-240 Husqvarna/Poulan clones,
they don't get much respect on AS.
The Stihl 211 does, but OP stated he wasn't interested in creamsickles.

A 445 would be a better all around saw, but 1 LB. heavier.
A 2238 may be similar to 235-240 Husqvarna/Poulan clones,
they don't get much respect on AS.
The Stihl 211 does, but OP stated he wasn't interested in creamsickles.

hmmm interesting. I did not know that some poulans were husqvarnas.

I checked my possible faulty information

2238 is similar to a 240 Poulan clone, Spike refuses to sell them.
2240 is similar to 435-440, still clamshells, but Swedish clamshells.
If your lady can handle a 346NE/2153, not much heavier, that would be
a great choice on a 50 cc pro saw, a lot more power.
There are 445 recon units on Flea-Bay for $200 delivered in CONUS, the
retail is $300+ US, there have been some good reviews on AS.

ms880. If she doesn't like it, you can keep it and get her another. If she does like it than you can be certain that you married the perfect woman.

I second the 346XP or 2153. Another good choice would be a Husky 353 or Jred 2152. They are the same saw as the 346/2153 just with slightly less power and they are considerably cheaper to buy.

A saw for your Wife eh?

If she is big and mean like you said, me thinks I be in love:heart:

I will go over to my local Dolmar dealer and buy you a brand new 5100 and trade ya even up..

Deal?

If I bought a Japanese saw in that range

I would pass on by the Echoes & get a Redmax GZ4000 or GZ4500.
They have pro style construction, good power to weight, improved
the strato-charge & are part of the Husqvarna group.

You are in trouble. She is gonna see this and kick your ass. She is big and tough. You will be soorry....
Sounds like Bigfoot...I'd say you had better be careful for yourself, not for us...your within arm distance from that big tough woman, make your choices accordingly...

Latest posts

Back