Help me find PPE for chainsaw use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thook

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I already found some Labonville chaps and Youngstown gloves from Bailey's. But, I need some face/head protection. Maybe even some upper body protection? Of course, I'm trying to save money, but I want whatever is going to be really, really good.

Head/face: I've got two nice hardhats, safety glasses, and earmuffs. I've been looking at universal adapters and wire mesh shields for the hats . Would that be adequate or would getting an integrated system be better? It would definitely save me some money going with the former, but whatever's going to be the safest and most durable. For either; brands, sources, best bang for buck?

Upper body: Not sure what to do here. I see vests, sleeves, and some "shirts". I don't care about anything else but safety in regards to this. However, not sure what I really need. I cut firewood at home out in the woods. That's it. But, I'm almost always by myself doing this..... although not too far from the house within whistle distance. Wife's always home.

Any input/suggestions would be grand. My head is swimming at the options.

Best PPE is what you will wear.

Hard hat, safety glasses, and ear muffs provide the same protection as those in the integrated forestry helmets, except for the face shield.

Most hard hats have slots to accept accessory ear muffs, shields, etc. Look at a good contractor supply warehouse/catalog (not just home centers) or industrial safety supplier.

Also think about protective boots. Steel toe at a minimum.

Philbert

Saw operation training watchin learning, if can attend a safe saw use course if not study others in field.
PPE is great but its second level protection Your 1st is not puttin body bits in harms way
An extreme hint it to think of using your saw butt naked, imagine just how carefull you'd be then.
Then your chosen PPe will work and last for years

800px-Heirarchy_of_hazard_control_diagram_01.jpg

If you are happy with your current head/eye/ear protection go with it. If you want an integrated system, I am really happy with the Premium Rockman at Bailey's. I have broken many other brands, and have liked this the best. Haven't tried a Stihl, and I'd probably buy one of those next if I didn't like the Rockman. If you watch, Bailey's will have the Rockman Premium on sale for about $60 at some point. If you get a forestry helmet, you should still wear eye protection (glasses).

Upper body protection: I don't think this is nearly as necessary as chaps, steel toe boots, and head protection. You have to be fairly contorted to get into a position where that comes into play. Arm Chaps would be my next purchase.

Make sure you understand all of your saw's safety features, and that they are in working condition.

As derwoodii said, training is better than anything else you can invest in.

Are you falling trees or just cutting downed wood? For bucking downed trees, I'm not sure you'd need more than muffs, goggles, chaps (dwisnwid) and boots.

I've been cutting for twenty years now. In that time, I've learned the saw safety from books, the web, experienced locals, and from my own experience. So, I've got that going for me. And, in all this time I've never hurt myself. Always been real careful. But, last week I tore open my knee when I lost my footing on loose shale on the hill side. I was holding the saw, but gladly I wasn't on the throttle. I fell on my knee on the jagged shale to keep from hurting myself with the saw. Probably should've just thrown the saw away from me, but it happened so fast. And, I really didn't want to chance breaking my only saw. Gotta stay warm. Anyway, it occurred to me the situation could have been a lot worse. Scared the crap out of me and so I said that's it....I'm getting some chaps and whatever else! Being incompacitated really, really, really sucks. I've seen the saw accident pics. Eff that!!! So, I will wear whatever I need no matter what.

Yes, I have steel toed boots. Yes, I fell my own dead standing wood, so I wear a hard hat when doing so. Even when I'm bucking, I tend to just leave it on. No harm, I figure. It comes off when I start swinging the maul, though. But, sometimes I have to cut overhead, so the mask would be real nice. Mesh since I read the polycarb' ones tend to fog up. And, I always, always wear ear and eye protection.

So, if the universal face masks w/adapters are just as good, I'll just get that since I know my current hats fit my big noggin well even with a winter cap. Are there any that are "better" than others, though? I want something sturdy if an errant sapling or something should slap back at my face and hopefully not break it. Note: I do watch for those situations and tend to avoid them, but I'm just giving an illustrative scenario here.

Yes, I imagine one would have to be fairly contorted to really need the shirt, jacket, or what have you. I do not/will not climb trees and maybe that's more of what those are for. But, I did feel rather vulnerable having that close of a brush with the saw.

sounds like you got it sorted that close call was just well timed to sharpen your wits,

all i can say is glib phrases for fun

2 hands on yer tool at all times and just try to be smarter than the bit of wood yer cuttin ;)

The husky forestry/arborist hat is great, tough and comfortable, only reason I don't use it any more was its too hot in an aussie summer with chainsaw climbing pants on, it was faultless otherwise

The husky forestry/arborist hat is great, tough and comfortable, only reason I don't use it any more was its too hot in an aussie summer with chainsaw climbing pants on, it was faultless otherwise
+1, I've got the same contraption, don't treat it all that gently, and it works quite well. Luckily texas isn't hot in the summer

Some hard hats / helmets have ventilation holes in them. Not sure how much it helps.
The 'Type II' (side impact) helmets have styrofoam liners in them (like bike helmets), so they should be really hot.

I have used some of these products under my helmet when working in warmer weather (e.g. Katrina). Take a little getting used to, but they help:
http://www.ergodyne.com/products/pages/default.aspx?PCA=1 Other companies may have similar products.

Philbert

I have the Stihl hard hat with ear protection and mesh face shield, $45 at my Stihl dealer. I'm really liking it. I dread summer cutting with this but I'd rather be sweaty than unconscious or worse.

The mesh is only a "first line defense" and should be used in conjunction with good safety glasses. As experienced with your knee injury, it's things that can cut and/or stab you in a fall that you have to consider as well as objects coming up at you.

Something I've considered using under my chaps are knee pads like the carpet layers and carpenters wear. My concern is the chain coming in contact for some reason but in your case it might have saved you the injury.

Last edited:
Hello folks,

I already found some Labonville chaps and Youngstown gloves from Bailey's. But, I need some face/head protection. Maybe even some upper body protection? Of course, I'm trying to save money, but I want whatever is going to be really, really good.

Head/face: I've got two nice hardhats, safety glasses, and earmuffs. I've been looking at universal adapters and wire mesh shields for the hats . Would that be adequate or would getting an integrated system be better? It would definitely save me some money going with the former, but whatever's going to be the safest and most durable. For either; brands, sources, best bang for buck?

Upper body: Not sure what to do here. I see vests, sleeves, and some "shirts". I don't care about anything else but safety in regards to this. However, not sure what I really need. I cut firewood at home out in the woods. That's it. But, I'm almost always by myself doing this..... although not too far from the house within whistle distance. Wife's always home.

Any input/suggestions would be grand. My head is swimming at the options.

The Labonville chaps are a good choice, probably the best you can get. Kevlar gloves are more gimmicky than useful. Not enough kevlar to make much of a difference. If you hold the saw properly with two hands you won't cut your hands.
Helmets are not all the same. The cheap ones are junk and offer little real protection. Get a good helmet with properly designed suspension. The Rockman helmet is excellent. It has a good suspension and the helmet itself has engineered crumple zones to absorb impacts. Its pretty durable too. A guy I work with has the Stihl helmet and it ssems a bit fragile in comparision. Safety glasses are not something I would wear under the face screen and never have. Regular sunglasses yes but purpose built safety glasses no. When you are working they fog up easily and make thing generally difficult. Most instructional classes I have been to don't recommend using them either. Get some decent ear protection too. The cheap helmets have ear muffs but usually they are hard, uncomfortable and don't work well especially in the cold. A high end helmet system will have good mufs that work and are not affected by the cold.
As long as you are not cutting up high or in a position where the saw might make contact with your upper body you really don't need a shirt. I have one but usually only wear it when working in blowdowns or other situations where the work is high or potentially hazardous. If you are just doing firewood chaps are fine. If you do get a shirt, Swedepro is what you should be looking at. Its the same as the one Stihl sells at a higher price.

not too far from the house within whistle distance. Wife's always home.
If you get in serious trouble it might as well be 100 miles. If you are unconscious and under a tree with your help 500 feet away in the house you are not getting help anytime soon. All the ppe in the world can't get you to the hospital in time. Get someone to go with you.

Safety glasses are not something I would wear under the face screen and never have. Regular sunglasses yes but purpose built safety glasses no.

Mesh face shield protects your face from chips, branches, etc. Safety glasses protect your eyes.

Lots of stuff can get behind a face shield, so if you have to pick one, choose the safety glasses - easier to live with some marks on your face.

Unless your sunglasses are impact tested do not assume that they provide any protection - false sense of security. Even the $2 pairs of safety glasses meet minimum impact standards, but lots of more expensive sunglasses do not.

Philbert

Mesh face shield protects your face from chips, branches, etc. Safety glasses protect your eyes.

Lots of stuff can get behind a face shield, so if you have to pick one, choose the safety glasses - easier to live with some marks on your face.

Unless your sunglasses are impact tested do not assume that they provide any protection - false sense of security. Even the $2 pairs of safety glasses meet minimum impact standards, but lots of more expensive sunglasses do not.

Philbert
Yes, and only your eyes. Full face protection is just that, eyes and everything else.
I would rather be able to see what I am doing. Safety glasses fog up all the time, collect saw dust and whatnot, and generally don't provide the level of protection you need. A face sreen will protect your entire face and is preferable to just glasses. I use a good face screen that has taken many whacks that glasses would have provided no protection against, and for that matter probably would have sent the safety glasses flying or broken them. The chances of getting a whack in the face is far greater than just a poke in the eye. Again, this is where you see a difference between a $2 cheapie helmet system and a good helmet system.

The Labonville chaps are a good choice, probably the best you can get. Kevlar gloves are more gimmicky than useful. Not enough kevlar to make much of a difference. If you hold the saw properly with two hands you won't cut your hands.
Helmets are not all the same. The cheap ones are junk and offer little real protection. Get a good helmet with properly designed suspension. The Rockman helmet is excellent. It has a good suspension and the helmet itself has engineered crumple zones to absorb impacts. Its pretty durable too. A guy I work with has the Stihl helmet and it ssems a bit fragile in comparision. Safety glasses are not something I would wear under the face screen and never have. Regular sunglasses yes but purpose built safety glasses no. When you are working they fog up easily and make thing generally difficult. Most instructional classes I have been to don't recommend using them either. Get some decent ear protection too. The cheap helmets have ear muffs but usually they are hard, uncomfortable and don't work well especially in the cold. A high end helmet system will have good mufs that work and are not affected by the cold.
As long as you are not cutting up high or in a position where the saw might make contact with your upper body you really don't need a shirt. I have one but usually only wear it when working in blowdowns or other situations where the work is high or potentially hazardous. If you are just doing firewood chaps are fine. If you do get a shirt, Swedepro is what you should be looking at. Its the same as the one Stihl sells at a higher price.

If you get in serious trouble it might as well be 100 miles. If you are unconscious and under a tree with your help 500 feet away in the house you are not getting help anytime soon. All the ppe in the world can't get you to the hospital in time. Get someone to go with you.

Are you serious, man? No safety glasses? Whatever. You'll not catch me without them. And, once again, I've got ear protection and two hats.....pro grade/certified/etc.

Edit: I don't have any problems with safety glasses as you experience. So far, the ones I've had, they've done a fine job.

I've seen the Swedepro. Kinda on the fence deciding to go with something for the upper body. It's looking like I may not really need it.

Maybe getting someone to go with me is the absolute most precautious thing to do, but that ain't gonna happen. Leave it at that.

Full face protection is just that, eyes and everything else.

No.

You are wrong.

I work in safety and have seen many instances of eye injuries where objects go around a face shield and strike the eye (or the safety glasses).

You do a dis-service to promote erroneous information.

Your additional comments justify why BOTH face shields and safety glasses are recommended, or required in many places: something that some guys have a hard time understanding.

Philbert

Are you serious, man? No safety glasses? Whatever. You'll not catch me without them. And, once again, I've got ear protection and two hats.....pro grade/certified/etc.

Edit: I don't have any problems with safety glasses as you experience. So far, the ones I've had, they've done a fine job.

I've seen the Swedepro. Kinda on the fence deciding to go with something for the upper body. It's looking like I may not really need it.

Maybe getting someone to go with me is the absolute most precautious thing to do, but that ain't gonna happen. Leave it at that.

You are looking at this the wrong way. You do need eye protection but a full face screen provides that and more. Safety glasses can be more of a hindrance. A good full face screen can do eveything that safety glasses will and aslo keep the rest of your face intact.
OSHA has this to say about it -
Note to paragraph (d)(1)(vii): The employee does not have to wear a separate eye protection device where face protection covering both the eyes and face is worn.

No.

You are wrong.

I work in safety and have seen many instances of eye injuries where objects go around a face shield and strike the eye (or the safety glasses).

You do a dis-service to promote erroneous information.

Your additional comments justify why BOTH face shields and safety glasses are recommended, or required in many places: something that some guys have a hard time understanding.

Philbert
If you work in safety than you should know that using both is not required or recommended. I've been doing this stuff since the mid eighties and have attended safety and saw training seminars with the best in the business. The general consensus is good face shields are better than glasses when using a chainsaw. The face shield provides a much greater level of protection. The only way something can get behind the shield and hit the eye is if enters from below. If a foreign object enters behind the face shield at such an angle that it will hit the eye then glasses will be equally ineffective and get taken right off your face. Again, a decent full face sheild will not allow anything behind it when used properly. Perhaps there is more to those injuries, such as inferior (cheap) equipment, or maybe some CYA going on (yeah, sure, I was wearing that but the stick somehow got around all of it.) I know how employee safety reports go, been there done that for a long time.

Again, OSHA says you don't need both. But you do need to actually use it, not just have it with you.

1910.266(d)(1)(vii)(A) Eye protection meeting the requirements of subpart I of Part 1910 where there is potential for eye injury due to falling or flying objects; and1910.266(d)(1)(vii)(B)
Face protection meeting the requirements of subpart I of Part 1910 where there is potential for facial injury such as, but not limited to, operating a chipper. Logger-type mesh screens may be worn by employees performing chain-saw operations and yarding.

Note to paragraph (d)(1)(vii): The employee does not have to wear a separate eye protection device where face protection covering both the eyes and face is worn.

You are looking at this the wrong way. You do need eye protection but a full face screen provides that and more. Safety glasses can be more of a hindrance. A good full face screen can do eveything that safety glasses will and aslo keep the rest of your face intact.
OSHA has this to say about it -

The only safety glasses I don't care to use are the ones with frames. The kind I use have large lenses that wrap around to the temple with no frame to obstruct peripheral view. I have never found them to be a hindrance. Granted, I've never used a face shield. If the two combined prove to be a hindrance, I'd have to fault the face shield since the glasses alone never did. Having said that, I'll make my own judgements on what works when I get a face shield. Furthermore, if dust can in anyway pass through that mesh, I don't see why safety glasses would hurt a damn thing given my stated experience.

Latest posts

Back