Help me find PPE for chainsaw use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are looking at this the wrong way. You do need eye protection but a full face screen provides that and more. Safety glasses can be more of a hindrance. A good full face screen can do eveything that safety glasses will and aslo keep the rest of your face intact.
OSHA has this to say about it -
Note to paragraph (d)(1)(vii): The employee does not have to wear a separate eye protection device where face protection covering both the eyes and face is worn.
Better check the writing your helmet's face screen.

I just looked at my Premium Rockman. It specifically states that you need additional ANSI Z87.1 approved eye protection. So while there may be shield than can serve that purpose...a forestry helmet faces shield is not it (unless there is another brand that says it can...maybe, but not on the ones I have seen - also looked at my old Peltor). It MUST state on the face shield that it is Z87.1 approved.

Anti-fog/anti-scratch safety glasses can be had for less than $15.

Wear safety glasses under the face mask.

Basic behavioral modification can help a lot, as required:
1. Hold saw with 2 hands, with thumb opposed to fingers on left hand, left elbow locked with arm straight.
2. Keep all body parts out of the plane of the chain. (Kickback avoidance.)
3. Stop engine when moving about. Otherwise set chain brake whenever possible.
4. Look up often. Watch for wood behind one you're cutting- kickback hazard. BTDT
5. Have escape path planned. Keep feet spread for balance.
6. Keep plastic wedges handy against pinching when bucking/felling. It will happen.
7. Do not put chain into dirt. Dull chain is dangerous, and can make you do dumb things.
8. Inspect saw regularly, for damaged/loose stuff. Sharpen chain BEFORE it gets dull.
9. Always be thinking a few steps ahead at least.

Always wear safety glasses. "Bugz" goggles are wire goggles that can fit over glasses- keeping dust out of eyes is GOOD. BTDT
"Atlas Fit" gloves- woven with latex covering on palm side are almost free, last almost forever (much longer than leather) and are GRIPPY.

What ctyank said.

Arathol - I suggest ya try some different types of safety glasses. If, no joy, continue without. Gotta be able to see, right? Bad advise to toss around though. I know people that fog glasses, more than just don't like wearin them. Some here may believe thats the case.

I wear both (not when wearing Mac T or climb hat) and even then I catch garbage in my eyes on occasion.

OP - To compliment other good advise, including the better part of arathols first post... wear bright colors, cell phone, whistle hanging outside of clothing, tourniquet ready to wrap limb in seconds and tighten with scrench.

Oakley makes good glasses of all kinds and they exceed safety specs, prescription lenses too

Yes, and only your eyes. Full face protection is just that, eyes and everything else.
I would rather be able to see what I am doing. Safety glasses fog up all the time, collect saw dust and whatnot, and generally don't provide the level of protection you need. A face sreen will protect your entire face and is preferable to just glasses. I use a good face screen that has taken many whacks that glasses would have provided no protection against, and for that matter probably would have sent the safety glasses flying or broken them. The chances of getting a whack in the face is far greater than just a poke in the eye. Again, this is where you see a difference between a $2 cheapie helmet system and a good helmet system.

I wear day to day prescription safety glasses with the side shields. I just don't care, they work. I took splinters to my right eye once and lost some vision. They don't fog on me, under a helmet or not. Now, like any glasses, if you drip sweat on them it gets blurry....

You can technically buy some nofog liquid and use the proper lense wipes with them, or just do as the divers do and spit on them and polish, that stops fog pretty well.

I am using all husky PPE as my local dealer carries the stuff and gives me a fair deal. The helmet with the mesh screen and integrated muffs is the ONLY hearing protection I ever used that fit comfortably over my eyeglass frames. And that's trying various industrial and target shooting muffs. I do not like ear plugs whatsoever, nor have I ever used any buds or plugs that did as good of a job eliminating the high pitched stuff, but allowing the lower pitched through..

I have the husky helmet with the muffs and face shield. I do occassionally get some dust in the eye still even with the shield so I almost always have non fog safety glasses on as well.

The husky helmets are the biz, best I've tried for ground work, used them since 2001. Durable, comfortable, good mesh and muffs, I've got a petzl climbing lid now which has all the husky bits, it is so good. The ear muffs work with safety sunnies too. A workmate had the Stihl forestry hat for a while never liked it at all compared to the husky lid and I'm not brand biased

I wear Labonnvile Extreme chaps and the Rockman Premium Lumberjack System hard hat. I also wear my prescription galsses, gloves and steel toe boots. The hardhat is very comfy. For a hard hat anyway.

I use a Husqvarna forestry helmet system and Stihl chaps.

It's probably not the best gear but it's been good enough so far.

The most important thing for me is to remember to slow down and think about what I am doing.

Do I have a clear escape, Is this snag going to fall on top my cranium if I cut it loose, is the piece of wood I'm about to saw under pressure, which way is the tree going to fall, how is the wind going to affect the results of the cut? What is under the downed tree I'm about to section? How dirty is the wood?

I have never done flood debris clean up before but so far my barely adequate gear and knowledge has been good enough. As ling as I pause and think.

As a result of this thread I realize that I really could use better boots......

The most important thing for me is to remember to slow down and think about what I am doing.

Do I have a clear escape, Is this snag going to fall on top my cranium if I cut it loose, is the piece of wood I'm about to saw under pressure, which way is the tree going to fall, how is the wind going to affect the results of the cut? What is under the downed tree I'm about to section? How dirty is the wood?

I have never done flood debris clean up before but so far my barely adequate gear and knowledge has been good enough. As ling as I pause and think.

I use the husky rubber cutting boots, and they take a bit to get used to them, they are stiff and heavy as those old arctic mickey mouse military boots. But..not that bad either, just different from my regular farmer **** kickers. There are provisions for studs, but I don't have them, I don't do that much trunk walking, mostly because I am milking the branches out for firewood, not just whacking them off as fast as possible. Waterproof, pure rubber, so they are patchable if they require it ever.

For the loot they work for me, come in half or one third or less compared to all these other boots I have seen talked about and referenced.

Solid!
Safety gear is the last line of defense. Work planning, tension compression understanding, situational awareness, footing, machine control, escape,.. mental focus and control keeps the body crushing, artery gushing mishaps at bay. You got it.

Take care in the slop. Use that chain brake.

I've just kitted myself out with labonville chaps and a husky forestry helmet, both untested. I've always had a helmet with muffs and a screen since I was a kid, I feel naked without one. I live on the edge of a desert in Western Australia, and it's bright a lot of the time, so I wear sunglasses underneath supplied by work that happen to be safety glasses. I only cut my own firewood, but I cut quite a bit. I also wear riggers gloves because the wood splinters quite a lot, and it's very easy to get a sliver in your hand. We only cut seasoned hard wood though.

So far though, most of my safety comes from not being a knob and taking care when working.

I've just kitted myself out with labonville chaps and a husky forestry helmet, both untested. I've always had a helmet with muffs and a screen since I was a kid, I feel naked without one. I live on the edge of a desert in Western Australia, and it's bright a lot of the time, so I wear sunglasses underneath supplied by work that happen to be safety glasses. I only cut my own firewood, but I cut quite a bit. I also wear riggers gloves because the wood splinters quite a lot, and it's very easy to get a sliver in your hand. We only cut seasoned hard wood though.

So far though, most of my safety comes from not being a knob and taking care when working.

Heres to "not being a knob!" Cheers!

Latest posts

Back