help me fix my twuck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on your thread. I think your truck is ready for a frame off restoration. You can only repair so much, and the snow belt is hard on equipment. Sounds like you fixed the starter issue though

Its not as bad as it sounds. Its only had a plow for 1 season. Body panels show no rust, its a 91. Frame and suspension is in good shape. Interior isn't to bad but its a work truck. I don't drive it for anything else. I put 3 -4 k on it a year. It don't look that bad either.

Last edited:
Its not as bad as it sounds. Its only had a plow for 1 season. Body panels show no rust, its a 91. Frame and suspension is in good shape. Interior isn't to bad but its a work truck. I don't drive it for anything else. I put 3 -4 k on it a year. It don't look that bad either.

look at it this way, Ford makes a heck of a truck and soon they are announcing the comeback of the 302, at least in the mustangs. You are ahead of the market!

look at it this way, Ford makes a heck of a truck and soon they are announcing the comeback of the 302, at least in the mustangs. You are ahead of the market!

That's why I have it. I like a small block pushrod engine made from iron.

Don't know about Fords but the older chevys needed to be shimmed to get the right starter to flexplate mesh. Too close is bad, too much seperation is bad.

What he said. That'd be the first thing I'd check anyway, before taking any other drastic measures. If it's whining loudly when you crank it or the outside portion of the RG teeth are peened/shiny, it needs shimmed out.

Last edited:
I personally hate rebuilt starters. Go to the boneyard and get one, clean up the flywheel with a dremel and rock on!

Don't understand your logic with this comment.I own a starter/alternator rebuild shop and have so for 22 years.you talk of buying used units.do you have any idea how much life is left in them????

Also a lot of the chain stores are getting their units from overseas or some cut rate re-builder who uses the cheapest quality parts to rebuild with.

For the OP,,your model truck uses a fender mount solenoid that makes the starter engage, try replacing this first.As for the flywheel ,,leave it alone.In my experience I have never seen a bad flywheel that prevented a started from disengaging,it is usually just the opposite they will not engage.Also something else you might want to consider.on ford truck the starter bolts to the bell housing ,not on the motor like a GM product.check and see if you bell housing has move a little.If it has you bendix clearance could be to tight preventing starter from disengaging.

Another thing I have noticed on several vehicles,,ford/gm/toyota//..the teeth on the ring gear is wore down this prevents a proper engagement of the bendix to the flywheel.if possible compare the length of you flywheel teeth to a new one.You may be surprised.

Also the only time a ford stater needs shimmed is if the thrust bearing is worn out in the engine allowing the crank to move front to back.generally the only engine with this problem was the 300 ci 6 cyl

Last edited:
My advice.... pull the wheels off, push that p.o.s. outa the way, and park a chevy in its place & put your wheels back on..LOL (just bustin balls they all have their problems I dont care what you buy)

Latest posts

Back