Help me gauge field Level Of Knowledge regarding Forest Pathology

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If air is bad for this fungus, how does it move around from area to area?

That's the question of the century. Nobody's really sure. Fact is, you CAN infect new material with inoculum which has been exposed to air, but it's hard to say how long it stays active. Washing seems a reasonable precaution, but it's anybody's guess whether it actually does anything or not

The simpler, the better.

Agreed. I write pretty complicated prescriptions, but try to keep it on the Forestry side of the house. Once the contracts are written, they should read "cut all blue-marked trees" and very little else. That way we assume the responsibility for understanding what we're trying to say.

We've had a couple sessions with regional pathologists. They say that one needs to clearcut fifty feet beyond the last infected tree if you are trying to make an area safe, like along a road or campground.
The district finally got the go ahead and clearcut a small area near the school, along the road that the schoolbusses go on. We couldn't sell it for logs, and we weren't allowed to sell all of it, but were able to make a firewood sale out of it.

Hazard tree removal along the main roads is supposed to be a priority but it isn't moving along very well. It took getting a guy killed to finally get some action. The people in charge say it is a priority but then don't do anything because there is no budget for it. A local faller tried to volunteer to do it for free, but he was told he'd have to get certified, and could not get certified for trees above 24 inches dbh. So that was a no go. Finally, enough funding came through to do 6 miles. Some of those trees were also sold as firewood a month or so ago.

Root rot pockets are all over, and the last timber sale we sold had borax application in the contract. It also had the marking of the infected tree stumps required. Now, can one identify infected trees when operating a feller buncher? And, will the operator be willing to get out of the machine to mark the stumps? Those are a couple more things to throw into the discussion. Some guys like to get out and stretch their legs, others do not. :dizzy:

Such things will drive you crazy. I am sleeping much better since retiring.

Oh, there is much less defect in the second growth stands, and better utilization. I did find some excessive long butting at times, and also when a processor is used on the landing, there is more. When the market crashed, the mills became pickier.
Gotta watch that.
Evening, SlowP.
Seems to me that was a bad day when that guy got killed. I think it's still going to be a bad day when the lawyers get done with it. Oh well, time will tell, poop will smell and water finds it's own level.

I'm interested in what is killing the maples around here. I've heard armillaria, and then have head it is a wilt, but nothing certain. I'm busy converting maple to firewood now. The one was a beautiful tree. :(

I'm interested in what is killing the maples around here. I've heard armillaria, and then have head it is a wilt, but nothing certain. I'm busy converting maple to firewood now. The one was a beautiful tree. :(

I have a friend that works for Weyerhaueser and he said that it's something in the air that travels and lights in the tree tops. If you'll notice the lettuce like fungus that grows from the limbs of the maples this is what's killing them. From Morton west you don't see much of it. It's mainly in the east county area that's infected and doesn't seem to move much to the west. Looks like some nice firewood you're cutting up there.

What you'll see in the maples is a dead branch towards the top of the tree. The next year it is dead. Quick. I got a Forest Service pathologist interested, but hadn't heard any results.

I've been out burning the slash from the maple project. I'll go do more tomorrow. I just found a TICK on my neck....eeek. Crawlies everywhere, gotta go shower.

Here's a picture of the line holding crew.
180631d1303252506-backyard-restoration0001-jpg

View attachment 180631

I can't answer that. I think it was going on when I moved back in 2005. The pathologist said there was a similar thing going on around Oakridge, OR. It is killing the native maples in yards and maples in the woods.

Yeah, it's been here for at least the last 20 years. When you see a few dead branches in the tops you can bet the whole tree will be gone in a year. I've paid attention to it since it was brought to my attention.
The thing you really have to pay attention to is the roots rotting. I had a good friend of mine up in the Cispus valley call me one winter to come up and fall about 4 in a clump. The wind was blowing and it was snowing a bit. I went up there to look at it and found that it leaned toward the little house he had rented. It would also reach the house. I was too nervous to cut it so we just decided to leave it till another day.

OK, now that you mention it, I can think of two trees that may be afflicted with this pathogen. Both are older, single-stem maples; one has a large dead branch about 75' up, the other blew down last winter and has mostly been picked apart by the firewood thieves. The root ball is coppicing nicely -- Is this thing strictly a top disease?

EDIT: Oh snap, looky here what I just found. VEEEERY INTERESTING.

EDIT 2: I actually know a Sudden Oak Death Expert. Lemme talk to him and report back what I find.

Last edited:
What you'll see in the maples is a dead branch towards the top of the tree. The next year it is dead. Quick. I got a Forest Service pathologist interested, but hadn't heard any results.

I've been out burning the slash from the maple project. I'll go do more tomorrow. I just found a TICK on my neck....eeek. Crawlies everywhere, gotta go shower.

Here's a picture of the line holding crew.
180631d1303252506-backyard-restoration0001-jpg

View attachment 180631

She is violating #18, napping near the line. Write her up!

Sudden Oak Death seems to be the culprit here in southern Oregon that's getting mature Pacific Madrone and larger Manzanita. There's a stretch from around Diamond Lake down to Eagle Point, Oregon that has seen a pretty severe infection among larger Madrones. It's not what I would characterize as a top-down foliage loss but rather a wilting of the entire leaf mass. I'll get some pictures this weekend of the Madrone symptoms and post them here.

Laminate Root Rot isn't so prevalent here, one thinking for that is that our summers are dry and hot enough to keep it from getting established. It is quite prevalent over on the coast. I did a removal job in the early 90's at the Loon Lake resort just below the Elliot state forest by Reedsport that was all LRR. There was heavy thinning of foliage in the crowns (older growth DF) and white speck in some of the stumps.

A BLM fire ecologist at LIFC thinks that moderate to severe forest floor fire (not necessarily stand-replacement) helps to control LRR and blue stain. So that would lead me to wonder how much Laminate is present up around Tillamook?

I'd like very much to see a few pictures, especially of any leaves or branches that show identifiable fruiting bodies, if such a thing is present.

JJ: never worked on the Tillamook proper, but I did work some BLM ground between Greenleaf and Alsea; I definitely saw some LRR there (1997) but it didn't look anything like, say, the Willapas or the Black Hills in terms of scope or severity.

I can chop into the one maple and get some pictures. It has been dead for over a year now. Seems like the dying ones start having leaves turn in July. I'll get together with a friend who is good at picking out the sick trees. Stay tuned...maybe for a few months. :popcorn:

I'm just seeing what I would call lichens growing on the limbs that I burned. So most of that evidence is gone. My bad. I'll look for those too.

Talked to my WSDOA Oak Death friend. He says he knows a UW researcher working near Elbe (I don't think he's at Pack Forest) who will be interested in this stuff. Science!

Interesting, my friend tried to get WSU interested years ago and they weren't. I don't know if she could even get through to any UW folks. She gave up.

If you do get somebody, get hold of me and I'll see if she would be interested in talking to them. She, like others, has been watching this thing kill maples on her own property.

A faller told me it was Vermicullim Wilt. I probably butchered the spelling on that one.

Latest posts

Back